It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LEEP-and fertility/pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
    chels896

chels896 HB User
    LEEP-and fertility/pregnancy

I am having a LEEP procedure done next week and I am really terrified=( I had two paps and a colposcopy before they decided that I needed a LEEP done. My first pap came back ASCUS or atypical cells. They just recomended that I came back for another pap in 3 months. So, I did and I had a thin prep pap done, which showed mild dysplasia. So then I had to have a colposcopy and the biopsy done.. which confirmed I do indeed have mild dysplasia on my cervix. Now, the next step is the LEEP... The only reason I am scared is because I am only 21 years old and I plan on getting married soon and having children. This is so important to me, and I am really worried that this LEEP will have an effect on my ability to have children. My doctor told me "it shouldn't" What the hell does that mean??? She was really short with me and wasn't available for me to ask too many questions. This made me even more uneasy and scared I have been in tears everytime I think about possibly not being able to have children. Is there anyone that knows anything about this.. or maybe someone who has had the LEEP done and had a successful pregnancy afterwards?? PLease help.. someone.. I need some encouragment.. and some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 08:18 PM   #2
    tabs2b

tabs2b HB User
    Re: LEEP-and fertility/pregnancy

Hi

I just had a LEEP done this past Wed. for severe dysplasia. My doctor reassured me that this would not harm my fertility or ability to carry a baby. I also know several people who have had LEEPS done and they have had no problems. One friend who had this procedure has 3 children now!

So, I wouldn't worry, especially with mild dysplasia. The doctor should not have to remove very much.

Hope this helps you feel better!
    Tina

Old 04-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
    chels896

chels896 HB User

Thank you so much for the reply. You made me feel so much better! Hearing that your friend who had a LEEP now has 3 kids is great news! I was also wondering how your LEEP procedure went? Was it painful during or afterwards?? My doctor told me it won't be any more uncomfortable than the colposcopy.. .. but that just doesnt make sense to me?

Old 04-25-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Did your doctor talk to you about maybe giving it a little more time to see if it heals on it's own? I had mild dysplasia, which was confirmed by colp. and biopsy. The doctor said to wait 6 months and re-pap. I just got my results back from my 6 month re-pap and it was normal. The doctor told me that 80% of mild dysplasia cases heal on it's own. I did do some extra things though. I took a multi vitamin, extra folic acid, ate flaxseed, and exercised, and tried to eat right as much as possible. I'm not sure if this actually helped but I think it did.

That said, I do not think the leep will cause any problems with fertility, especially with mild dysplasia. I know you are scared but from what I hear it is over before you know it. I think the waiting is the worse part.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
    tabs2b

tabs2b HB User

Hi Chels,

My doc gave me the option of IV sedation for the LEEP, so I don't remember a thing about the procedure itself. However, I have had very little soreness. In fact, I only needed one pain pill and that was the night of the procedure (and truthfully an aspirin probably would have done the trick).

I have not had any bleeding yet, but from what I've read that can occur up to a week after the procedure.

Other women I know who had the procedure with a local said it was not painful--in fact, they were more comfortable during the LEEP than the colposcopy.

T~

Old 04-25-2004, 08:46 AM   #6
    chels896

chels896 HB User

Thank you to the both of you for your replies. My doctor told me when I had to colposcopy that she wasn't sure if I would need any procedure done, but then when she got the biopsy results.. she said I have to have the LEEP done. I am not sure if the biopsy showed worse that she thought or what? I guess I would rather have the LEEP done and just have peace of mind knowing that the abnormal cells are gone (as long as I know it won't hurt my ability to have children ) I am also glad to hear that the LEEP procedure wasn't too bad. I don't think I have an option for IV sedation. My doctor just told me it would feel alot like the colposcopy exam.. but even less uncomfortable. So, we will see how it goes. I am nervous... but since you two have told me about your experiences.. I feel MUCH better!! Thank you soo much! I will let you guys know how everything goes. I have it on Friday the 30th. My boyfriend and my mom are coming with me, and they are both so supportive, so that will help also! Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

A leep shouldn't hinder your chances of having a baby, although it's advisable that you wait until your cervix heels from the leep. If you do happen to become pg before your cervix has a chance to heal, your doctor will insert a stitch into your cervix, called a cerclage (sp?), to keep the cervix closed in order to ensure that you have a normal pregnancy.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 05-11-2004, 05:19 PM   #8
    chels896

chels896 HB User

I had my leep done a couple weeks ago. It wasn't bad at all! So to anyone that has to have one done in the future... DON'T WORRY! I also got some reassurance from my Dr. that LEEPs will not have an effect on pregnancy/fertility. She has done tons of LEEP procedures.. and out of them all... she has never seen any problems with concieving. This is also great news! So.. good luck to anyone who has to have one done.. they are not as bad as you think. The only bad part was the slight cramping afterwards. Just use a heating pad on your tummy and you'll be fine

Closed Thread