It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Waiting for leep results with lots of questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
    ktdid
    (female)

ktdid HB User
    Question please reply!!!!!Waiting for leep results with lots of questions-please reply!!!

Hello everyone, I had a leep done last friday. I had a pap done a few weeks back showing severe displasia. (this was the first abnormal pap I have ever had). The nurse called with the result of pap and said The doctor recommended I come in and have the colposcopy done right along with the Leep at the same procedure. I had that done and now am waiting for results. In the beginning I didn't think much of this whole procedure, taking it rather lightly. I've heard of other people having similar procedures done, and no major problems. But for the heck of it, I started looking up info on the internet to see what I should expect in results from leep. All of this is new to me, so I figured this time when they call with results i want to know all the "big words" they will be using. (my doctor is on vacation and said it will be 2 weeks from the day of leep until i get results, which would be this friday)
    In a way I also am not sure if I am taking this serious enough or if I am being ok for not worrying so much.
    Honestly I haven't been taking it too easy since the leep procedure. I've read about a lot of people really trying to rest..., and I haven't got anymore rest than usual, Ihave a 3 year old, and we go non stop. Can I be really doing any damage to myself by not resting or taking it easy?
    Also has anyone else had a similar experience of going from pap with severe displasia results, to colposcopy and leep done at the same time?
    Also any advice on what to ask doctor when they call with results?
    thank you very much!!!!!!! and good luck to you all!!!

Last edited by ktdid; 05-11-2004 at 07:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
    jhammerstad

jhammerstad HB User
    Re: Waiting for leep results with lots of questions

HI! I had my first LEEP done about a month ago and I asked if I could start working out again. My DR. said after 24 hours return to your normal routines, you should be fine. He said that if I was bleeding a lot then to go back in, but that was it. I haven't had any problems when I am exercising, so I think that you should be okay. SO needless to say I didn't tak eit very easy after the first day. I had the colposcopy and the LEEP about a 5 days apart, but not on the same day.
    Did your Dr. say anything to you about fertility? I am a little scared and embarrassed I am 24 and was planning on trying ot get pregnant, but then I found out about the Dysplasia?

Old 05-22-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
    Re: Waiting for leep results with lots of questions

Let's review the whole pap/colpo/leep thing, ok?

Pap smear: A screening procedure that gives a snapshot (so to speak) of the current state of cervical health. It is NOT diagnostic! It's simply a screening test (think of it as an "early warning" procedure).

Colposcopy with biopsy: A diagnostic procedure that seeks to discover the EXTENT and severity of abnormalities picked up by pap smear. Think of this as a mapping expedition. Biopsy(s) are taken of abnormal-looking areas. Sometimes the act of biopsy actually clears up the abnormality. Sometimes it doesn't (if the margins are clear - woohoo! if the margins are positive, LEEP or cone biopsy is next step).

LEEP or cone biopsy: These are both sorta like a combo of biopsy and treatment. A chunk of the cervix is removed - hopefully getting ALL of the abnormal cells in the process (the "clear margins" thing). LEEPs and CONEs are often done when the endocervical cells are abnormal (these are the cells that line the os and lead into the uterus). A LEEP procedure does not compromise fertility and the cervix fills in the missing tissue over time. MANY repeat LEEP procedures may, however, compromise the cervix.

It is not that unusual for a gyn to combine colpo with LEEP, if the PAP results are serious enough. It can shorten the whole long drawn out (seems like it takes forever!) process.

The very basic problem with the abnormal pap process is that it is most often pushed along by the HPV virus. Many women have repeat colpos and even LEEP procedures over the course of their reproductive lives thanks to this nasty little virus. Sure hope they find a cure or vaccine soon!

Anyhoo, hope this helps explain why an abnormal pap scenario seems to take FOREVER to come to some kind of conclusion and why, even after a LEEP or cone biopsy is done, there is no guarantee that a future pap won't come back abnormal.

Closed Thread