It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LEEP or Natural Treatment?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
    ti_1972

ti_1972 HB User
    LEEP or Natural Treatment?

I'm 31 yo, no kinds, was diagnosed with CIN-1 and the only one option doctor told me it a cone LEEP in my case. I read that it's a chance to have problem in pregnancy after LEEP, and I read that sometimes CIN-1 can disappear without any treatment.
    I'm ready to try some natural treatment, immune booster stuff, vitamins and natural herbs, try fasting and so on. Of course It'll take time to get some results and it's more hard then just go and to take 20 min for LEEP.
    Is any one on this forum who tried the natural way and geo good results??
    Or anyone with case of CIN-1 which disappeared without treatment?
    I'll nice to hear your advices.
    Tatiana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
    Dylsmom

Dylsmom HB User
    Re: LEEP or Natural Treatment?

I have had the same results as you. I feel that you shouldnt let nature run its course because you never know when it could get severe and to the point where you have cancer and you have no future at being a mother. think of it as saving yourself from future issues. i have had cryotherapy done twice and i still have mild dysplasia. and now i am debating on the leep procedure. but i would rather give myself the chance of staying as far away from cancer as possible than to risk never being a mom. sorry, this is the way i feel. you asked for advice!

Old 06-11-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I had mild dysplasia, then a normal pap after 6 months. I took extra folic acid along with a multi-vitamin, ate ground flaxseed, exercised, and tried to make my life as stress-free as possible. I don't know if it actually helped but it sure didn't hurt! My doctor didn't give me an option to have leep or anything else. Just to re-pap in 6 months because according to them there is an 80% chance it will clear up on it's own.

Did you get a colposcopy and biopsy to confirm it is CIN 1 and not any worse?

Old 06-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
    SDCNC

SDCNC HB User

I've had 3 friends with CIN I and the doctor's just did a pap every 3 or 4 months for a year to make sure it didn't progress...no treatment was needed b/c most of the time CIN I clears on its own. And, in both of them, it went away on its own. It strikes me as a little odd that your doc didn't mention waiting a bit to see how it progresses or regresses and instead is advising the leep for mild dysplasia. Maybe you should talk to him about this first and get his advice (tell him all of this) or maybe get a second opinion. If the odds are greatly in your favor of avoiding the leep, do so b/c no point in messing with your cookie if you don't have to Though, I will say that I had the leep (for Moderate Dysp. - CIN II) and it was a breeze. Just had my follow up pap and all was normal (I just hope this is the end of it but you never know). All in all, ask questions and do what the doctor tells you...but not before you are fully aware yourself. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2004, 07:10 AM   #5
    figure8

figure8 HB User

i'm still awaiting the results of my biopsy - but if it's confirmed mild dysplasia, I will probably follow holistic treatment for 3 months. if it's anything worse than mild, i'll have to do the LEEP.
    i'm seeing a holistic gynocologist - best of both worlds i think. he has a detailed program of all the vitamins i should take plus vaginal suppositories. the only reason i'm considering the holistic treatment is that this doctor is fantastic. he is for surgery when surgery is necessary, but also has the approach that your body can fight off dysplasia as long as it's mild.
    if i wasn't seeing him, i would do the LEEP, even with just mild dysplasia. i'm 36, no kids, and i don't want to take the chance that my condition will worsen.
    bottom line, i think it's important to be under a doctor or naturopath's care if you are going to try holistic methods - is there anyone you can find in your area?

good luck!!

Old 06-12-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
    aem22192

aem22192 HB User

I had a leep done several years ago after the doctor found mild displasia. She gave me no options but insisted that I have that done immediately. I felt rushed into it all and it was a very bad experience. I switched doctors after the leep and after he reviewed all my records and the lab results from the Leep sample, he told me that I probably should have NOT had the leep but just taken a more conservative approach with follow up paps every 3-6 months to monitor it. After a couple of years I started having abnormal paps again (CIN I) and after researching it on my own decided to ask my doctor about alternative treatments. My doctor at that time agreed that surgery was not warrented but if it progressed we would have to re-assess that. After consulting with my doctor I started a vitamin therapy with mega doses of folic acid, B complex, omega-3, etc. My paps did revert back to normal after a few months and have remained normal for about 2 years now. For very low grade displasia I don't know why the doctors don't recommend that the patients at least TRY a natural treatment since the condition seems to reoccur after surgery in many cases that isn't a sure cure either!
    Of course don't get me wrong, if more severe displasia is detected then I agree that a leep or cryo is definitely called for. Like most cancer and other medical conditions, even the doctors don't really understand why or the cause and effect of these diseases so their approach is often to just treat the symptoms. I also suggest getting an HPV test with typing to determine if you have evidence of a high risk HPV type, that would also suggest that a more aggressive treatment should be considered. I would never ignore a medical condition like this but a second opinion never hurts!

Last edited by aem22192; 06-12-2004 at 07:29 PM.

Old 06-12-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
    ti_1972

ti_1972 HB User

Thanks to everyone for answers..
    I'm myself very skeptical about the following LEEP procedure and will probably get a second opinion and maybe cancel it. I think the reason WHY dysplasia are coming back--because they do not treat a real illness, just removing the illness signs. like this peace of cervix with dysplasia. but your body are still sick and need to heal , because all this illnesses are coming from a week immune system or radicals inside your body, or infections...and without their treatment the cervix will not be healthy.
    From different forums I noticed that all women who started vitamin treatment - getting a good Pap results now, but in cases women had LEEP..I noticed in a lot of cases a dysplasia are coming back.
    So for me it's time to think and to decide myself about my future treatment.

Old 06-12-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
    IOMEGAZZ27

Location: MIDDLE EAST, DOHA,QATAR ORIGINALLY FROM JACKSONVILLE, FL
    IOMEGAZZ27 HB User

I had a leep done in 1999 a year before my son was born. Before this process 1 year before the leep I kept having abnormal paps/colpos. My doctor told me let's not take any chances and just remove these abnormal cells. I didn't hesitate at all. I wanted those cells out of me asap. I did the leep which was an out-patient procedure it only took 1-2 hours. It did not hurt at all. It was just like having a colpo done. I went back 2 times within 6 months to check the site to make sure no bad cells returned. After that I returned to having my pap done once a year. Glad to say that all my paps have been normal ever since! I am so happy that I made the desicion to have it done.

Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #9
    SandyinFL

SandyinFL HB User

I have great news!!!
    I used to have abnormal PAPs and Cervical dysplasia and all that great stuff. It consumed me for 2 years. I had an appointment to get a leep last August and I was looking up info for Leeps on the internet and instead I found a web site for NATURAL remedies for HPV and Cervical dysplasia. I could not believe it I thought it was a dream. I canceled my appointment and ordered these supplements and took them as directed and have not had an abnormal pap since. I've had 3 since then.

Look on the internet for this product until you find it. It is all natural and is made out of aloe.

I can't tell you the name of the product or website b/c this message board is very strict about that.

Unfortunately for the 2 years since my first bad pap and when I started the aloe supplements I tried all the other stuff like Folic Acid, shitoki mushrooms, yoga, beta carotene, flaxi seeds..... and my paps just got a little worse every 4 months.

Sandy

Old 06-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
    ti_1972

ti_1972 HB User

Hi, Sandy, I think I read your posts about this aloe treatment in archive, I don't believe exactly in this one-I found it in Internet as well, but I can take a close look at it.
    The main for me now is to decide about future LEEP -do it or cancel and do next Pap in 3 month, but use this 3 month to natural treatment.
    I will have appointment with another OBGYm and hope to have some recomendations about it.
    I'm happy you have good results now!

Tatiana

Old 06-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #11
    Verucah
    (female)

Verucah HB User

I am having a similar problem like you. I had an ASCUS PAP in 11/03 and HPV test that came back negative. They told me to come back in a year but I decided to come back in 6 months. My next pap came back LGSIL. My doctor did a colpo/bio which came back Cin I/II suggestive of HPV. She has only offered me the LEEP. I have had many questions like why I'm not a candidate for cryosurgery or at the very least a retest on the HPV? Since I tested negative on all the high risk ones I am just wondering why I'm not a candidate for cryo? My doctor has not returned my calls in a timely fashion( waiting a week before answering my surgery questions), and letting my colpo/bio results sit on her desk for 8 days before they gave me the results. Now she wants me to rush into this LEEP> I've been so upset, but have decided to get a second opinion and try vitamin supplements. Even if the second opinion concurs with hers, I at least expect this next doctor to treat me better. In the mean time I have cancelled the surgery. I was able to get an appointment that day with the new doc. If anyone else can share any similar situation I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #12
    MEL1980

MEL1980 HB User

I have a very similar situation. My colp/biopsy came back with Mild Dysplasia after an ASCUS pap back in March. But my ECC came back positive for Mild Dysplasia as well (they think it might be contamination from the other areas) so that is why they suggested a LEEP Cone in my situation. I decided to go ahead with it last week and it was definitely the best situation for me. Your doctor should have a good reason for suggesting a leep cone for mild dysplasia--did he mention anything about the ECC or the canal? Good luck.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:08 PM   #13
    Verucah
    (female)

Verucah HB User

No. I don't think she did an ECC. She said my case was mild/moderate so she had to treat it as severe. She did however do a biopsy of the endometrium which came back negative. So that is negative HPV, negative endometrium biopsy, mild/moderate dysplasia. I think I should at least be a candidate for the cryosurgery. She waited 8 days to give me the bio results, yet wanted to rush me into surgery. Her bedside manner stunk so I decided to find a new doctor immediately. I have an appointment with the new doc the same day I was supposed to have the surgery.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
    SandyinFL

SandyinFL HB User

What did you decided to do??
    About aloe treatment. I went to a new doctor after my first 10 bab pap smears because my old doc was starting to be bitchy about me seeking natural treatment and my new doctor (from thh university health center) knew what the aloe treatment was right away and was very confident in it...that made me feel better during the 3 weeks I had to wait for my letter.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #15
    Hope_for_better_days

Hope_for_better_days HB User
    Question Re: LEEP or Natural Treatment?

Hi Guys,

I'm in a similar situation (CIN I) but according to the biopsy results I have high-risk HPV so I should go for the LEEP. I also have genital herpes which increases the chances of cervical cancer but I do not smoke, have a healthy diet and do not take pills. What do you guys think? I am concerned about having recurrences and more LEEPs and not be able to have a child. Thanks, Hope

Closed Thread