It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Birth Control, Ovarian Tumor and Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User
    Birth Control, Ovarian Tumor and Anxiety

Hello. I have a 7 cm partially solid, partially cystic ovarian lesion which is suspicious as a cystic ovarian neoplasm. The doctors believe that I should have surgery to have my ovary and fallopian tube removed. The gynecologic oncologist very strongly recommends that I use birth control. I am not comfortable with putting synthetic hormones in my body because I have read many studies that indicate that there are a ton of negative and subtly degenerative affects on the body which are nearly impossible to reverse (although, I realize it is beneficial to some conditions such as ovarian cancer). Furthermore, I have a huge problem with anxiety attacks and every woman in my family who has taken birth control pills has had huge anxiety problems from the outset. Thus, here are my questions.

1) I realize that the longer and more often ovulation is stopped the less likely you are to get ovarian cancer. However, I wondered if anyone had any information as to percentage decreases after one month of birth control use, three months of birth control use, six months of birth control use?

2) If I do take the advice of the oncologist and take birth control for a period of time, I would like to make a deal with him that I will only fill a birth control prescription if I am also given a prescription for something to ease anxiety attacks in the even that something happens. Do you think that a doctor would be readily agreeable to an arrangement such as this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
    Re: Birth Control, Ovarian Tumor and Anxiety

#1. Can you tell me which synthetic hormones, when used responsibly by a physician. can leave many "negative" and "subtly degenerative effects which are almost impossible to reverse"? Which studies are you talking about?

#2. Sorry, I can't help you with the exact risk reduction.

#3. Anxiety attacks and depression are a known side-effect to the birth control. Mention this to your doctor, and I'm sure he can give you SOMETHING to settle you.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User

Specifically, I am speaking of studies in the United States and United Kingdom which have linked use of contraceptives and replacment therapy to heart disease, various cancers, endometriosis, venous insufficiency, thrombosis, and diabetes. All of these diseases are incredibly difficult if not impossible to reverse once they have developed.

It has nothing to do with the "responsibility" of the doctor. No doctor practicing conventional allopathic medicine practices responsible medicine. Allopathic medicine seeks to treat symptoms rather than causes of disease.

Throwing a blanket over the top of an iceberg will NOT make it disappear.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:23 AM   #4
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of how doctors practice medicine here; however, I will tell you something you MIGHT have misinterpreted. You're right that OCP is inked with the above diseases but the link is that it slightly increases the risk for them. If you are a healthy woman (which is sounds like you are), and most importantly, you don't have any clotting disorder where your blood clots too easily, there is no reason for any of the above diseases to happen to you. Are you a smoker, and over 35 years of age?

I would also like to point out that OCP is markedly different than hormone replacement therapy. Comparing the two is comparing apples and oranges. OCP doesn't increase your risk of heart disease and diabetes (come to think of it, either does HRT).

Honestly pfunk, every drug has its side-effects, but you have to know which ones are worse for you. A drug like prednisone has side-effects which are serious, but if you're healthy, not oral contraception. Honestly, aspirin and drugs like it are one of the leading causes of gastric ulcer disease and GI bleeds in N. America....would you consider this drug unsafe? Nawwwwwww!!!

Closed Thread