It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Needed a colposcopy a YEAR ago

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Question Needed a colposcopy a YEAR ago

Hi everyone,
    One year ago, actually, almost a year and a half ago, I developed tiny, flat, white bumps the size of a tip of a pencil on the inside of my labia majora and labia minora. I was pretty sure that it had to be HPV, as I had unsafe sex with someone a few months before, and he had multiple partners. I went to the local Planned Parenthood clinic. There, I was tested for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia, and was told that I DID NOT have HPV. They did not actually test for it, but they said that it absolutely did not look like HPV, but instead, irritated glands/irritation in general. I also had a pap while I was there and they called back a week later to tell me that it was abnormal. I was told that I should get a colposcopy, as six months prior to that my pap was also abnormal. When I told my mom about this, she suggested that I go to her gynecologist for the procedure. There, I was also told that what I had looked only like irritation and not HPV, but I insisted on them testing me for it, anyway. As it turns out, I was correct. I had genital warts. They did another pap smear and it was abnormal at this OB/GYN, also. They wanted to schedule me for a colposcopy, but I put it off for a few weeks as I was suffering terribly from an inner ear disorder and had SEVERE vertigo almost everyday. I wasn't very worried because I figured that my abnormal pap smear was caused by my heavy cigarette smoking that I was doing at that time, and my poor nutrition. A few weeks later, I lost the state insurance that I had because I was over 18, not attending school as a full time student, and not working full time, which was because of my vertigo. I was suffering so badly with the balance disorder that I really wasn't even thinking about my reproductive health at that time. Since then, I've been sick. For an entire year, I had severe vertigo, and now, I have life-threatening food allergies, have fibromyalgia-like symptoms, and I'm only 20 years old. I believe that I have a systemic Candida infection from the heavy rounds of antibiotics I was given because my inner ear disorder was thought to be bacterial. I still have no insurance as I've been pretty much disabled since last year, and am now starting to worry about my reproductive health. I guess what I'm asking is, could my cervical dysplasia have developed into cancer in this period of time? My warts have been completely gone now for about eight months, I quit smoking seven months ago, and despite the allergies and Candida, I am healthier immune wise than I was when I was told that I had an abnormal pap. Thanks for listening, I know this was long,
    Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
    sara52

sara52 HB User
    Re: Needed a colposcopy a YEAR ago

Katalina, you are playing with fire here. You have had 4 abnormal pap results and continue putting off even first line testing and diagnosis..You really have to get serious about your health..In the early 90s I had (1) abnormal pap test to which my Dr. thought it was perfectly ok to wait and recheck in 6 months. I was 40 years old at the time and had been married for almost 20 years. When I returned in 6 months for my PAP it came back clean... I never gave it a second thought and went about my life. I then, making a big mistake, thought I didn't need such regular paps. I had gotten a good report was in a monogamous marriage and put off having another pap for about 3 years..The bottom line was I had invasive cancer....I was sent to a cancer center 100 miles from home where I underwent 3 surgeries and almost a year of chemo. I followed with an oncologist for 5 years..If you have no ins. call the "American Cancer Society" tell them that you have had 4 bad pap tests and need to have further testing. They will give you advise and help you get this taken care of.Please do that and then let us know what you find out...
    Sara

Old 07-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

Would planned parenthood do this test?

Old 07-22-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Belle2003,
    I wonder! I am absolutely going to check that out. Before I get a colposcopy, I want yet ANOTHER pap done because my overall health is, I think, improved since I quit smoking AND my mild case of genital warts completely went away. I really wasn't looking forward to getting a colposcopy back when I was SUPPOSED to get all of this done, and in fact, I was terrified, but I now realize just how important it is.
    Thanks,
    Katalina

Old 08-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
    bridgetmngou
    (female)

bridgetmngou HB User

I know that Planned Parenthood here in Indiana offers to do the colposcopy. I found out at the beginning of the year that i needed one and they scheduled one for me but i went to a real doc and had it taken care of there. Just call your local Planned Parenthood and see if they can get you scheduled.

Closed Thread