It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Moderate dysplasia.. will it progress? Feel like I'll be dead in 10 years..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
    pips

pips HB User
    Moderate dysplasia.. will it progress? Feel like I'll be dead in 10 years..

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Hi,
    I'm 23 years old and have been going through emotional hell the past few months...... Here is my story:
    October 2003: Mild dysplasia with HPV (it was my first pap test ever as I was not v. sexually active)
    March 2004 (six months later): Result had changed to "extensive HPV changes"... "possibly worse than mild dysplasia."
    Two months ago (June 2004): Leep procedure and it looks like it has indeed progressed to moderate dysplasia.. I'm still waiting to hear the biopsy results from my doctor, but from what I could get out of them over the phone, it looks like its CIN II....

My fiance has genital warts, and even though he has them removed constantly, it keeps me extremely worried... how can i get my immune system boosted if im constantly at risk of being exposed to the virus?? I literally feel like im going to die of cancer 10-15 years from now if this doesn't disappear--- if its transient you're ok, if its persisent, you're not.. Am i right?? I'm so worried about having difficult pregnancies in the future (I dont have kids yets)... that my and my fiance are actually considering getting married earlier.

Please, if anyway has had moderate dysplasia, I would really appreciate anything you could tell me.....What are the chances of it progressing to CINIII..?? I'm trying to do everything I can, I quit smoking (my favourite thing in the world), taking loads of vitamins, and me and my boyfriend are being extremely careful...

I really need someone to talk to.. I'm a hypochondriac and researching endlessly online has turned me into a total depressed basket case So glad i found this website.
    Thanks so much..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User
    Re: Moderate dysplasia.. will it progress? Feel like I'll be dead in 10 years..

It usually takes anywhere from 7-10 years for your pre-cancerous cells to progress to actual full-blown cancer, depending on your immune system and how well you take care of yourself. DON'T WORRY, you'll be fine as long as you keep up with your paps and get the pre-cancerous cells taken care of BEFORE they turn to cancer. In other words, don't wait for anything and keep up with your doctor's appointments and you'll be fine. As far as future pregnancies go, HPV will not hinder your chances of having a healthy family. Doctor's have ways around that, but I wouldn't recommend getting pg until you have the OK from your doctor only because if you have to have a LEEP, you want to give your cervix enough time to heal properly.

Last edited by KimRick; 08-16-2004 at 01:47 PM.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
    jamieleigh
    (female)

jamieleigh HB User

first off i think you should calm down just a bit.. i know what its like unfortuantly though i have been having paps since i had my first child 10 years ago - (im 27 years old) - each of the past 10 paps have come back normal except for this last one mind you every year for the past 10 years they have come back normal then all of a sudden this one comes back as hgsil
    i had to go in and have a colp and biopsy (5 biopsy's) they came back as cinIII (cis) on 2 and cinII on 2 then inflamation on the last.
    i have been going to a gyn oncologist and she is going to do the leep procedure tomarrow. but she thinks that this will take care of it... so in your case have you talked with your doctor about what you are feeling?
    i know i was and still am scared about the leep procedure and the results of it.. however - i have been told to keep in mind that this is a normal procedure and is a common way to take care of dysplasia and as long as you take care of it before it becomes cancer it is 100% curable... and even still is in the early stages of cancer... hope this helps i know what your going through have a better day

Old 08-18-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
    alexandraB
    (female)

alexandraB HB User

Dear Pips,
    I am 22 years old and have gone through many of the similar things you have. My progression was this:

jan 2004: pap that showed low grade dysplasia
    feb 2004: colposcopy that in fact showed the dysplasia was high grade
    march 2004: LEEP procedure

First, I know how scared you are, i was also terrified and researched desperately online. However, know this. Dysplasia is NOT cancer, and is almost always "cured". The key is early detection and treatment. The dyplastic cells can be removed using many methods. For low grade changes, the doc usually just waits and monitors, but for moderate and high, they remove the cells with methods like LEEP, which u had. LEEP is over 80% successful.

However, dysplasia can be persistent or reccurent in many women, especially if you have HPV like you mentioned. But this does not mean you will get cancer. It only means that because the virus is in your body, you are at a higer risk or having the dysplasia grow back at some point after it has been removed. However, as long as you keep all your follow up appointments and keep removing any reccuring dysplasia, you should be absolutely fine. The MOST important thing you MUST do is keep your follow ups strictly. You must realize that while you will be fine if you keep removing the dysplasia, that this is something you have to monitor with regular gyno visits throughout your entire life!! There are many options for treating persistant dysplasia: you can have sevreal LEEPs, cone biospies, cryosurgery etc...and some women once they have had children opt for a hysterechtomy later down the line.

There are some things you can do to reduce your chances of the dysplasia returning: take a folic acid suplement, multivitamins, no smoking (good for you for quitting! ), also some studies show the Pill might have a role in dysplasia so u might want get off of it if ur taking it, and they also say eating things like raw almonds and garlic helps keep cancers in general away. As far as your fiance's HPV, i dont think it matters if you are exposed repeatedly because you already have that particular strain of the virus in you. But i have read different things about that, so check with your doc.

I had a follow up PAP after my LEEP this summer and it looked like my dysplasia had already returned after my LEEP, so i was very upset. However, the doc took a biopsy and it actually had turned out to be a false positive (might have been some left over scar tissue that picked up bad cells). So the LEEP was a success, and im sure yours was also. Even if its scary, try to keep your cool. You caught this very early like i did, and that is good, bc there are tons of options. So long as you keep your follow ups and remove any dysplasia that may come back, you should be just fine

I was also very worried about children and i also starting thinking my fiance and i should get married sooner too! but there are so many options and even if you have to have many LEEPs, you can still have kids, so i feel a little better although i am still a bit worried about that.

Good luck with everything! If you ever want to talk, you can post here or [ removed ]
    Take care, Alex

Last edited by moderator2; 08-19-2004 at 05:29 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails. Use the boards anonymously, in public out in the open, for all share and benefit. Thank you!

Closed Thread