It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Colp Results CIN 1, Dr wants Leep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
    kristina4752

kristina4752 HB User
    Colp Results CIN 1, Dr wants Leep

Hi.
    About a month ago I had an abnormal pap that showed mild dysplasia with high risk hpv. I had a colpo done last week. My Dr's nurse called me and said that the doctor want's to do a LEEP. She wouldn't tell me much over the phone so I had her fax me the results.
    They read :
    Cervical Biopsy: Endo and Ectocervix with focal mild dysplasia, CIN 1 and Hpv effect.
    Endocervical Curettage: Benign Endocervical glands, strips of squamous epithelium with reactive changes.

I am not scheduled to see my doctor until next week and trying to get more understanding of these results (particularly what "reactive changes" means) and why he wants to do a LEEP if it's only mild. I am only 19 and have read that they try to avoid doing a leep at such a young age. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
    kjane
    (female)

kjane HB User
    Re: Colp Results CIN 1, Dr wants Leep

I had CIN 3 and got leep. I am glad they caught yours at CIN 1. I don't know why your doctor wants to do leep but perhaps he just wants to make sure he gets the a bit of the surrounding cells to make sure it is completely gone. Since my CIN went to cancer stage 0 or carcinoma in situ I had a good bit of cervix removed along with cutting into lymph nodes to make sure it did not spread that far. now my cervix is a bit short. you will not have to deal with that issue. You were smart to get checked. take care.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
    MEL1980

MEL1980 HB User

Hi! Your doctor wants to do a LEEP because your ECC (the opening of cervix called the OS) was positive for mild changes. Doctors perform leep for positive ECCs because they are a little more serious and are hard to see so they have to remove it w/o taking any chances. A lot of times it's a false positive b/c the doctor performing the ECC biopsy nicks another dysplastic area around the OS--this happened to me. I had CIN I but since my ECC was positive for CIN I they couldnt take any chances and I was told to have a LEEP. I had my LEEP and it went reallly great--the doctor removed everything w/ clear margins and told me my ECC came back negative, which meant a false positive! Ask your doctor about this and good luck!

Old 09-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
    DevilsLady

DevilsLady HB User

Kristina,

Why does whatever you read say not to get a LEEP at your age? Do they say you might miscarry and not be able to have kids? All a LEEP is is a cheese slicer type of tool (it's electric so you will be grounded - you may know this but I wasn't told anything so I was a little freaked out over all the stuff they were doing) that will "slice" off the bad parts.

And you do heal afterward. I had one doc try to tell me that I needed a hysterectomy after all the colpo's and the LEEP I had. She said I'd never be able to hold a baby in because my cervix was so scraped up. Luckily I didn't listen. I saw another doc just six months later for my annual. This doc couldn't tell that anything had been done on my cervix. It was a perfect, pink cervix.

So if having kids is the worry...well, don't. Your body will heal itself.

DL

Old 09-07-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
    kristina4752

kristina4752 HB User

Thanks. I went ahead and got the LEEP done this past Friday. I had it done in the hospital and it was a breeze.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
    skf33

skf33 HB User

Good for you kirstina!
    Thankfully you caught it before it could do any life threatening effects,
    way in advance! Thats great. I'm sure you will do just fine from now on.
    My pap/colp biospsy showed severe dysplasia, the next step would have been carcinoma insitu, and I had the cone procedure on the 25th. I wait now for my pathology from that, will get it probably on thursday.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
    ca501

ca501 HB User

Hello,
    I too, recently got news that my dysplasia has advanced from "atypia" /ASCUS to LSIL with biopsy results of CIN1 (possibly CIN II). My doctor recommended a LEEP, but she told me that she doesn't mind waiting 3 more months to see what happens, but if it gets worse, then we definitely will have to take care of it at that point. I think that if you can wait it out, you should, as you are only 19, and that's kind of young to mess with fertility and that area. Have you tried any natural treatments/dietary changes???? Maybe seek alternative treatment from a naturopathic doctor??? I am going to one next week and will reply again with any of her suggestions for me, as I do NOT want to get this LEEP done...

Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
    cassia

cassia HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Colp Results CIN 1, Dr wants Leep

hi guys..i just thought i'd share my story .. i to was very nervous when my doctor told me i need a leep to be done... they gave me an opion to have a leep or wait 3 months and have another biopsey..i hated the biopsey so i decided to do the leep ..it was not as bad as everyone made it ..i came to this site and i got so much support... it was all of 15-20 minutes if that.. but it seemed forever.. afterwards i went home went to sleep and just relaxed the following day.. i went for my check up in 2 weeks and i was almost completly healed.. my next appointment all my margins were cleared... and i was very nervous thinking i could not get pregnant .. well i am now 8 weeks :D and counting feel great all my cervix is fine... well stay well and good luck..

Closed Thread