It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• endocervical adenocarcinoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User
    Question endocervical adenocarcinoma

Does Anyone out there know about this type of cancer. I here it spreads faster than squamous cell cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
    skf33

skf33 HB User
    Re: endocervical adenocarcinoma

Microinvasion was defined as depth of invasion or tumor
    thickness of at most 5 mm. Microscopic assessment was made on
    punch biopsies, serially sectioned conization specimens, and
    extensively sampled hysterectomy specimens.

I am thinking that this type is glandular while the other, like carcinoma in situ, is basal....Cancer that begins in cells that line certain internal organs and that have gland-like properties that is adenocarcinoma. Squamous are the basal cellular types...

What treatment have you been offered? Has it invaded any other tissue, or is it in situ? (AIS)

How did you happen to get this type diagnosis.
    Just curious.

Last edited by skf33; 09-06-2004 at 10:58 AM.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
    skf33

skf33 HB User

In adenocarcinoma in situ, there is an alteration of the epithelium lining the surface of glands, however, the normal interrelationships of the glands are maintained and there is no stromal infiltration ; the basement membrane is intact and the loose enveloping stroma usually present in benign glands is preserved. There is usually no association of stroma lymphocytic infiltration contiguous to the basement membrane. The abnormal cells may be single-layered or stratified. They are normal in size or slightly enlarged, and variation in cell size is not conspicuous. Columnar form is maintained while cuboidal forms are less frequently present. The cell borders are indistinct. A sharp demarcation usually distinguishes normal from abnormal epithelium.

The concept of endocervical columnar dysplasia is less well defined as such an entity shows changes less severe than those observed in adenocarcinoma in situ. In endocervical columnar dysplasia, the involved glands are normal in size or enlarged. Atypical cells are columnar, normal or slightly enlarged with enlarged and elongated nuclei appearing less crowded, and with variations in their location in the cells. The nuclei are hyperchromatic and possess a uniform chromatin. micronucleoli are inconspicuous. An important cytological differential diagnosis might be the papillary endocervicitis with some degenerative epithelial atypia.

Frequency

Although endocervical carcinoma is rare, the occurrence in exfoliative or screening cytology might not be exceptional, especially as secondary involvement by an endometrial carcinoma.

Hope this helps some.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User

I had a Pap in June and then in July I was told to come in for a biopsy, did that on July 9th and then results came back AGUS. After this on August 10th I went in for a conization, results back on Friday the 13th, it stated that I had microinvasive endocervical adenocarcinoma arising in multifocal endocervical adenocarcinoma in situ which extends to the endocervical margin of excision. It also states that from the surface the point of deepest invasion only measures 1mm, at the area of invasion, there is some papillary infolding within the malignant pseudo-glands.
    Thanks for your response,

Old 09-06-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
    skf33

skf33 HB User

So you have early invasive cancer. Have you discussed your treatment?
    And, so, even though your pap came back as ascus (is that what you meant?) then you had a cone. Did you have a colp with biopsy first?
    I'm confused...what did your pap smear say? Ascus?
    Then you did a colp? and it came back as????
    Then a cone, and it came back as the invasive adenocarcinoma?
    Did you have a endocervical scrape when you did the colp? what were the results of that?

Im just wondering why the pap/colp/ didnt come back with something more
    to the diagnosis that the cone gave you....

Old 09-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User

SKF33,
    I had a pap on 6/2/04 which came back AGUS, then had a colp and biopsy on 7/8/04 at the same time. It stated Adenocarcinoma in situ. Then on 8/10/04 had the conization which came back as microinvasive endocervical adenocarcinoma in situ.
    The biopsy, stated in the microscopic description;
    Sections demonstrate endocervical tissue with inflammation. The endocervical glands are lined by atypical columnar epithelium with nuclear hyperchromasia, crowding, and pseudostratification. Occasional mitotic activity and apoptotic activity are also noted. Invasive features or desmoplastic stroma are not seen in this small biopsy.
    I did not have an endocerviacl scraping. I am still unsure of what I have or what stage I am at, I go in on Friday the 10th for a consultation with the oncologist. My regular doctor stated he thought I was at stage 1b which will require a radical hyst. with lymph node dissection. But won't know until Friday. I am really scared, due to everything on the internet states that the adenocarcinoma spreads fast, but all I know is that the cancer went through the basement membrane. Thanks for your questions and answers, it helps.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
    skf33

skf33 HB User

Ah so youre colp biopsy made that diagnosis and the cone confirmed it.
    I understand, I was just a little confused as to why the it didnt and now that you explain it, I completely understand.
    I will pray for you and wish you the best of luck....I'm thinking that with the hysterectomy that will greatly help you....they say its so curable now, that the curable rates are very good....I know you are afraid, look at me, a big baby over dysplasia, shame on me....please keep me posted....I will pray for you and I have confidence that you will turn out okay....
    I dont know if you are religious but God takes care of his children, and, I'm glad you did find it in the early stages...that is a definite plus....
    I personally have no qualms with getting a hysterectomy....the way I see it,
    its the best way to a cure, and in my opinion, would relieve alot of stressful moments....although you would still probably need paps/etc, I am just very thankful you found it in its early stages...
    Keep me posted.

Sherry

ps..im curious. How long did you go between paps to get this diagnosis?
    I was totally stupid and hadnt had one in over 20 years. Believe me, I'll never miss another one. I was just curious as to the time frame between a good pap and this last one.

Last edited by skf33; 09-07-2004 at 09:47 PM.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User

I had a pap 3years ago which was abnormal then I had a biopsy and they found nothing and then a normal pap the next year and now this year it was abnormal and now all this. Thanks for the support.
    Jeanette

Old 09-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #9
    skf33

skf33 HB User

Hi Jeanette,
    I again stress I'm so glad that you found it in early stages...I feel that things will turn out just fine for you....
    Let me know what your next appointment says. I myself, if needed would be lined up at the OR saying Prep me now for my hyst
    I think you will be fine, and dont worry too much. Easier said than done, I know...
    I'll get the results of my cone back tomorrow

Wish you luck and much prayer

Old 09-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User

Hi Sherry,
    Hope your test results come back ok, and you do not have to go through what I am going through. Thanks for your prayer and I will pray for you as well. Have a good night.
    Jeanette

Old 09-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #11
    skf33

skf33 HB User

Goodnite Jeanette.
    Please try to find some inner peace and calmness....You sound like a really strong willed lady, with determination and faith..You will be in my prayers tonight...

Keep the faith. I visit here everynight, so keep me informed, or just if you need a pal to talk too, I'll be here.

God bless.

Sherry

Old 09-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #12
    mandy342

mandy342 HB User

hey how did your cone results turn out?hope it was good news

Old 09-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #13
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User

Mandy342,
    My cone did not come back good, I go and see the oncologist tomorrow, I hope they just decide to do a hyst. but I will not know until tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Jeanette

Old 09-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #14
    mandy342

mandy342 HB User

sorry to hear that Jeanette.i hope that everything turns out fine.i'am sure you will get through this everywhere i look its says that cevix cancer is very treatable.goodluck i will say a prayer for you

Old 09-09-2004, 09:44 PM   #15
    skf33

skf33 HB User

Hi jeanette

Do you go tomorrow to the dr?
    Please let me know what he decides...I'm with you, I"d want a totaly hyst right away....peace of mind....take care and I will be praying for you...

Sherry

Closed Thread