It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Mild Dysplasia over 3 years ago abnormal pap last week?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Mild Dysplasia over 3 years ago abnormal pap last week?

Hi everyone. I had a mild dysplastic lesion from HPV diagnosed at 20 through a pap. This was biopsied and watched with a coloscopy, then I had my regular paps every 3 months. My paps ever since the biopsy (the doc said he removed a little more than necessary because he thought he could get all the cells with biopsy) have been clear. I have never had warts or anything, and had my first child in 2003, more clear paps since.

Now I'm 13 weeks pregnant and just got results of my last pap. Abnormal. Here is the letter they sent:

"The pap smear showed a mild abnormality called ASCUS. This could represent inflammation or even infection wtih HPV. We carried out further testing on your pap for HPV types at high risk for dysplasia, and the results indicate that you are NOT at risk for pre-cancerous lesions. Therefore you are safe to wait a year until your next pap smear."

What is ASCUS? And do you think this means that it's not the HPV flaring up again since the first abnormal pap and biopsy showed definite HPV and dysplasia? A nurse told me it could be an inflammation or a cervical change from pregnancy? I had my last clear pap in October of 2003, and this one was August '04.

Any answers?
    DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
    skf33

skf33 HB User
    Re: Mild Dysplasia over 3 years ago abnormal pap last week?

Ascus is mild changes. Its common during pregnancy. And usually clears up by itself after childbirth. Or during pregnancy.
    Both my daughters had that during pregnancy and both turned out fine.

Good luck

Old 09-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
    Verucah
    (female)

Verucah HB User

I am not sure how common ASCUS is during pregnancy, but I also had an ASCUS pap. In Nov. of last year I had that type of pap result. Since I am in my 30's they sent itfor HPV typing and it came back negative of both low&high risk HPV. They recommended I repeat my pap in 12 months.

I was concerned over that reading and went back in 6 months. My test came back LGSIL( Low-grade dysplasia). I was told to get a colposcopy which I did, and it came back mild/moderate dysplasia with suggestive HPV. I was instructed I should have cryosurgery which I did July 13. I have always been troubled how the specific HPV test could have been so wrong. I am thankful that I went back early. I go for my retest on Oct. 11 which is still before the 1 year mark from my Nov. pap that told me to wait the year!

I hope this helps you. Good luck to you.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Verucah
    I am not sure how common ASCUS is during pregnancy, but I also had an ASCUS pap. In Nov. of last year I had that type of pap result. Since I am in my 30's they sent itfor HPV typing and it came back negative of both low&high risk HPV. They recommended I repeat my pap in 12 months.

I was concerned over that reading and went back in 6 months. My test came back LGSIL( Low-grade dysplasia). I was told to get a colposcopy which I did, and it came back mild/moderate dysplasia with suggestive HPV. I was instructed I should have cryosurgery which I did July 13. I have always been troubled how the specific HPV test could have been so wrong. I am thankful that I went back early. I go for my retest on Oct. 11 which is still before the 1 year mark from my Nov. pap that told me to wait the year!

I hope this helps you. Good luck to you.

I have a question. On my very first pap it said that I had Mild dyplasia/HPV but they never did a thin prep on me. Now my papís are just saying mild dysplasia since it's been a year with them monitoring it. How can they say I have HPV when they never tested me for it? Heck, my doctor never even told me about the strains I could have. She just shrugged it off and was like let's see what the colopscopy says. That came back Denied for Mild dysplasa, which is why they are still monitoring me.

I'm not understanding, do I have HPV or not?? I am aware that 90% of all Mild dypslaia cases are due to the HPV virus but it can also be due to other factor like poor nutrition.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
    Verucah
    (female)

Verucah HB User

On my colposcopy biopsy it said that it was "suggestive HPV". I would ask your Doctor specifically , or better yet, get a copy of your paps and biopsy results and read them yourself. It must answer that question somewhere in them. Keep us posted.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Verucah
    On my colposcopy biopsy it said that it was "suggestive HPV". I would ask your Doctor specifically , or better yet, get a copy of your paps and biopsy results and read them yourself. It must answer that question somewhere in them. Keep us posted.

I didn't know that with Mild dysplasia during a colops that sometimes doctors can get most of the bad cells off from the biopsy. I'm going to suggest that when I get my next clop this Thrusday. I've had mild dysplsa for a year now. First clop came back negative.

Closed Thread