It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Cold Knife cone scheduled - I'm petrified!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
    edwardthefirst
    Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User
    Cold Knife cone scheduled - I'm petrified!!!!!

Ok they finally scheduled it for Fri Nov 5th. I'm going totally under, but they gave me the choice - who the he-l would want to stay up!

I was planning on getting a 2nd opinion because I am scared of the cold-knife but I've been back and forth to dr's for 5 yrs doing freezing, paps, colps, and they all dont do enough.... I realize now I need this surgery as opposed to doing the others that wont be as effective. (The CIN1 and 2 cells are high up in the cervix/center and the leep wouldnt get up thre)

I know its the right thing but I am only 26 and want to have 2-3 kids in the next 5-10 yrs and also have PCOS so its going to be tough getting preg!

Not to mention im petrified of going under!

Anyone whos had the cold cone, would love your views and tips. Do I need to do anything in these 2 weeks before the surgery? What meds should i ask them for pain?

Thanks guys. I'm reading the old review and they are scary :

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User
    Re: Cold Knife cone scheduled - I'm petrified!!!!!

Hello,
    The cone biopsy to me was not to bad, I went under because that was the thing the doctor wanted and I was glad, I came home that day and went to sleep for a few hours, there was a few cramps, and spotting afterwards. Cramps were gone in a few days, but the spotting stayed for three to five weeks, which the doctor stated was normal. As far as pain meds, I think I took percocet that day and then just tylenol after that.
    Take care,
    Jeanette

Old 10-23-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
    edwardthefirst
    Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

Did you have the cold knife ?

Old 10-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
    jammer71

jammer71 HB User

Yes, I had the cold knife, they also call it a cone biopsy. I was put under and it wasn't so bad except the spotting afterwards. It will be ok, they took four areas of the cervix. Just had some cramping, but I took 3 days off work and then the weekend and I was just fine. I know you are probably nervous and so was I, that is normal. I was more scared of needles than the surgery.
    Take care,
    Jeanette

Old 10-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
    wtg4grl
    (female)

wtg4grl HB User

I had the cold knife cone biopsy done on oct 5. It was a peace of cake for me. I was put under general. I had no pain or cramping afterwards. I was spotting for a week, nothing to much, almost like having your period. The worst part for me was waiting for the biopsy results. I was scared I might have cancer. I also had CIN III in the endocervical canal. I also had atypical glandular cells and CIN III on the cervix. I was in a bad shape. Its all behind me now. My results came in as clear margins with all the (hopefully) the high grade dysplasia out. I feel really good now and relieved that all of this is done. I was shocked in the beginning cause I never had a bad pap smear. I was negative for over 16 years and wham high grade this year without any warning.

The only bad thing about the procedure is getting an iv in me. That was no fun cause I have bad veins. They ended up in the hand practically on my nuckle.

The procedure only took the most 30 minutes, recovery 30 minutes. I arrived at the hospital 545am. Was out of the hospital and on my couch at 1000am.

IMO, this has to be done and I feel this is the best procedure to get any dyplasia out. I know its invasive. God when he said cold knife I freaked. It took me about a week to get over the fact there is no leep for me.

Its not bad as you think. The anxiety of the procedure is worst than the procedure itself.

What I did before the procedure is take alot of vitamins esp a multivitamin, vit e and vit c. This will help with your healing process once you have the ckc.

Just to tell you I went for my two week post appointment and he said I healed very well. I think eating good and taking vitamins help alot in the healing process.
    bonnie

Last edited by wtg4grl; 10-23-2004 at 03:54 PM.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
    edwardthefirst
    Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

wtg congrats, im so happy you are clear. it really is worth it imo doing this and being (as much as you can be ) sure you're getting it out - rather than doing leep afer leep and just going on an on with lesser things. I have CIN 1 and some 2 high up in the canal and thats why were doing it , but I was at first like , its only 1-2 so why this? BUT its been 5 yrs of abnormal paps and the freezing clearly did nothing. I am just so scared about not being able to have kids, but I know not doing this is wrong.

I made a 2nd opinion appointment then cancelled it. Even if they would say do a leep, i would know its wrong and then prob have to continue this hell of abnromal paps and go through it again. I just hope they dont take too much cervix!!!!

Im confused though, they dont stitch it up right - they just cut and pack it and let it heal? I feel like it would just keep bleeding. Im ok with IV's but are they allowed to give me anything before the surgery (im assuming no) they BETTER give me something after!

Thanks guys i feel a little better, i just read s o much about leeps and nothing really about cold knifes. Im trying to research things you can do after to increase your chances of having a good pregnancy and cant find anything

Old 10-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #7
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I had the cold knife and it was just fine. The worst was the IV. I had no pain, no cramping and didn't need any pain meds. If I bleed it was such a light pink that it was hardly nothing. I woke up ****** because I was sleeping so good that I didn't want to be woke up! lol I was starving after the procedure because you can't eat for so many hours before the surgery, thank god they gave me bread with butter and jelly. On the good side for you though....My friend had a few surgery's and STILL had two children after the procedures. I already had mine before hand. It may be a bit harder to get pregnant but their are so many techniques out there that it probably will not be a problem for you. Your very young. Your cells reproduce in there so give it a while before you try and get pg. Don't worry.....it will be just fine. I guess after giving birth to twins it didn't faze me to get put to sleep. Now labor on the other hand...........hehehe We'll tell you about that when your ready. lmao. Good luck sweetie and do NOT worry.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
    edwardthefirst
    Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

n/m

Last edited by missdiva26; 11-05-2004 at 06:53 AM.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
    edwardthefirst
    Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

n/m

Last edited by missdiva26; 11-05-2004 at 06:54 AM.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:53 AM   #10
    edwardthefirst
    Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

Update- was up all night b4 surgery stomach in KNOTS , cancelled it at 8am and made an appt with a new dr for a 2nd opinion next week. Just didnt feel right not having a 2nd op.........

Closed Thread