It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Just scheduled colposcopy...scared & confused

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
    Summer0404
    (female)

Summer0404 HB User
    Just scheduled colposcopy...scared & confused

Hi,
    My doctor called me today to let me know that my pap came back abnormal again showing that I have moderate dysplasia and a low grade squamous lesion. (this is the 3rd time - I've been getting paps every 6 months and it seems to show up abnormal every other time) I've been trying everything to avoid the colposcopy, but the doc says I can't put it off any longer. When I asked if it would hurt, she replied that I might feel some "mild discomfort" That sounds like a sugar coated response. Can anyone share with me their actual experience? Even if it's bad, nothing is worse than this feeling of not knowing what to expect since I am obviously not going to get a straight answer from her. I am really nervous and very scared. Thank you for any responses.

Summer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User
    Re: Just scheduled colposcopy...scared & confused

Summer - sorry you have to go through with the colposcopy - but, I can tell you there are worse things The colposcopy itself won't hurt, the punch biopsies (where they remove a tiny piece of the affected tissue) most likely will cause you some discomfort. How much discomfort kind of depends on your pain tolerance level. the biopsy may feel like a pinch - your doctor should warn you in advance of when she is going to do it. She will probably apply Monsel's solution to the area she biopsied to limit bleeding. Take a pantiliner with you just in case the doc doesn't have any there. I didn't need one after mine, but I felt very reassured having that "protection" as I walked out of the office following the procedure. Depending on the size and location of your lesion, she may have to take more than one biopsy. After she has finished, have her sit down and draw you a diagram of what the lesion looked like, how big it was, where it was located, etc. I would recommend taking a couple advil beforehand - I'm not sure if it helped me physically, but just knowing it was in my system did (if that makes any sense). See if your partner or someone you trust can be in the room with you if you are really nervous. You may experience some cramping the following couple of days after the procedure, as well as some discharge, it just depends on the individual. I hope this helps Let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions, please post them! So important for you to get all the information you feel you need.

Karen

Old 12-21-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
    Smiley123
    (female)

Smiley123 HB User
    Talking Re: Just scheduled colposcopy...scared & confused

Hi!! I saw your entry and I just have to respond. I had a colposcopy done at 2 today. I too have had several paps come back with dysplasia and abnormal cells. I am here to tell you do not worry!!! I just about made my self sick yesterday with worry and today found out there was nothing to be affraid of. When I asked the nurse today if it would hurt she said that most women who have had children dont even feel it. Well I did not even feel it. The worst part is being in that position on a table in front of people. The dr said that I did bleed a little but it soon stopped and I went to the mall with my mom and little girl when I left the office. The only pains I have felt was after I got home a cramped a couple of times and that is all. I feel fine now. I hope you will have the same experience that I had today. Just try not to worry and just pray everything will come out fine. I won't know anything for maybe a week or so from mine so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
    Summer0404
    (female)

Summer0404 HB User

Karen and Smiley,
    Thank you so much for sharing and your great suggestions! This is the first time I have ever written on a message board and I can't beleive how good it feels to be able to share and learn from people who know first hand what you are going through. Smiley, I will keep you in my prayers...please let us know the test results.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

posted this on the wrong topic, sorry

Last edited by DGO1223; 12-28-2004 at 11:42 AM. Reason: posted on wrong topic

Old 01-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
    NewGirl33
    (female)

NewGirl33 HB User

Hi Summer,

I'm replying to your message because I just had my first abnormal pap smear... and I had a colposcopy/biopsy done on december 20th. I was told that I had a "low grade" condition caused by dysplasia. My ob/gyn recommended cryotherapy (freezing the cells)... and I'm scheduled to have this done on January 20th. I was wondering how your colposcopy turned out... and if you are undergoing any further treatment. I'm really nervous, and I'm upset by this entire condition... I have been fortunate to not have had any major health conditions until now... so I'm not sure how to feel about all of this. Anyhow, any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.

I hope your experience went well, and best of luck.

-NewGirl33

Old 01-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
    cutigergirl
    (female)

cutigergirl HB User

Summer, I had a colposcopy today and did not feel a thing! It got a little old having the speculum in for awhile, but the biopsies I did not feel at all. Afterwards, I felt just fine!! I promise, it is not bad at all. I think the nervousness and anticipation is the worst part of it. GOOD LUCK and let us know how it turns out. I find out my biopsy results on Monday. carrie

Old 01-06-2005, 05:37 AM   #8
    Julie02
    (male)

Julie02 HB User

yes, i didn't feel the biopsies either. to distract my nerve while taking the biopsy, my gyn had me cough on cue. she even took five biopsies on me. but either way, you may barely feel them at all. this is even if they take a biopsy. if they don't see anything through the colposcope they monitor you. you'll be fine

Old 01-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
    Smiley123
    (female)

Smiley123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Summer0404
    Karen and Smiley,
    Thank you so much for sharing and your great suggestions! This is the first time I have ever written on a message board and I can't beleive how good it feels to be able to share and learn from people who know first hand what you are going through. Smiley, I will keep you in my prayers...please let us know the test results.

Have you been for your Colposcopy yet? Let me know how it went. I got my results and there was mild dysplasia. The nurse told me he want to do the LEEP. Any other suggestions from anyone out there? I have to go and discuss the procedure with him in a couple of weeks and I an scared. Any help would be appreciated.
    Not so Smiley

Old 01-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #10
    Summer0404
    (female)

Summer0404 HB User

I went for my colposcopy yesterday..still scared to death. It honestly wasn't bad though. I thought I was going to feel a pinch when she did the biopsies, but there was no sharp pain. Instead, I just felt like I was having menstrual cramps. Karen, thank you for the suggestion about taking 4 ibuprofen before going. I think it really helped the cramps during the colpo not be so intense. I get my results Monday or Tuesday and will update.

On another note, I am having major problems with my obgyn. I asked her to explain everything while she was doing my colpo and she told me she didn't have time and would call me next week. I have found out 10x more about what is going on with my body from reading these message boards than from her. Simple example....I have read in several places that you should not have sex, douche or use a tampon 48 hrs before and after the colpo. She never even mentioned any of this. Then, as she was walking out the door, she said the nurse would get me a pamphlet about LEEP and that we might have to do that too, but that it wasn't any worse than the colpo........which please, please correct if I am wrong sounds a lot more intense than the colpo. I am probaly not explaining things well. The main thing was just the feeling that she didn't have time for me and made me feel like a nuisance if I asked a question. Anyways, enough of my ranting for now.

Smiley, I'm surprised they want to do a LEEP for mild dysplasia. I thought they only did the LEEP if it progressed to moderate. Please let me know what the doc says when you go in for your consultation.

Carrie, let us know as soon as you get your results.

New Girl, I haven't heard a lot about cryotherapy. Did the doc tell you why she preferred that method over LEEP or cone biopsy?

I will be praying for us all! - Summer

Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #11
    cutigergirl
    (female)

cutigergirl HB User

Summer, I am glad you got that part over and done with!! Post and let us know your results. Fingers crossed for you! I am sorry your doc wasn't more informative or helpful. My doc is great and explained a lot to me so I will tell you what he said about the LEEP. He said it is not bad at all. He does an average of 2 per week. He said you get a local anesthetic on the cervix and that the procedure does not take long at all. He acted like it was no big deal and said it is not a thing to worry about at all. I trust him totally so hopefully his sentiments will help your worries too!

Smiley-I am surprised about the leep for mild too. I would ask for an explanation or a 2nd opinion. My doc said the common thought is to leave mild alone since in 8 out of 10 cases, it clears up on his own. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
    cityriderx
    (female)

cityriderx HB User

Summer,
    I just had a LEEP 2 days ago and, curiously, my DR did not mention anything about not having sex for awhile. (maybe I don't have to wait????,, who knows)
    Well, she did ask me if I had any questions, but I of course didn't at that point., they had already given me some of the medicine to zone me out.

But I agree with you, I get more info from this board and the internet than from my own doctor.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #13
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User

Ooooh this sex thing after LEEP - I have to put in my two cents....

Please wait to have sex - at least four to six weeks. You have just had a chunk of tissue removed from your cervix, and although the edges are cauterized, the tissue still needs time to heal. Just like a burn on your arm... I was also told (not by my doctor) that I should be using condoms once my husband and i resumed our sexual relationship, to protect the new cells of the cervix. That doesn't mean we have to use condoms forever, it just means we are using them for a while to make sure the cells have a chance to get re-established without interference from semen and fluid.

It is frustrating when we can't get answers from our own doctors regarding our health. This makes it very hard to trust the information they do give us. I think an important piece of our healing is the emotional aspect of all of this, and how confident we are in our doctors. It has taken me several months to determine that this is the reason why I am obsessing over my dx. I thought it was my dx, but it centers around my care, and I stress out about having to see this gyn again.

If you are not happy with your doctor, ask for a second opinion. I know it is hard...I am still in the process of convincing my new family doc (I canned my old one) to give me a new referral. If she doesn't agree at our next visit, I will be canning her too. We need to listen to our body, and listen to our "trust" instinct, and find the doc who will provide us with the level of care that we very much deserve and need.

Karen

Old 01-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
    Smiley123
    (female)

Smiley123 HB User

I am surprised too after reading some of the things on here. It sounds like I should not have the LEEP. I guess I will know more when I talk to him. I hope so anyway!! I have also had problems with doctors. I went to one for 10 years and never had any problem. I went in for my yearly pap and it came back abnormal cells. Come to find out so had my last one a year ago and they didnt even tell me. I always call to find out the results and they said it was fine. I guess they didnt even look at the report when they told me it was fine. Well I left that Dr and went to another in town. Had a pap and it came back bad. When I asked what to do now the answer I got was no need to worry we will just keep a eye on it for awhile. That was not good enough. I have had bad paps for a while and could not get a Doctor to help me in my own town. I left that Dr too and I am now seeing a Dr out of town. So far so good. I guess I will find out on the 18th. I am about ready to just have them take out all of it and be done with it!!

Old 01-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
    lobo1977

lobo1977 HB User

Leave that Dr. immediately. NEVER EVER let any dr treat you without feeling 100 percent comfortable and that they CARE and are listening and willing to give you time - you are paying for the time and its your HEALTH here - at theVERY least they should not rush you, answer ALL your questions, and tell you EXACTLY what they are doing and why

I hated my first gyno who sounded like yours - she rushed me in and out and didnt give me my options or tell me why she thought i shoudl ahve a cold knife cone ( I had cin 1-2!) she didnt even MENTION leep!!!!!!! I walked out and never went back , the MORNING of my surgery.

My new gyno is AMAZING, wonderful, comapssionate, spent 30 mins talking me through the colpo showing me everything on the screen , explaining andshowing me each part and what she thinks, and was SO informative. Got me on teh right medications, answered all my questions and even consulted with other dr/s . I MSO GLAD I SWITCHED!

I believe the cryo is for low grade- I had it 3 yrs ago , and my dysplasia has come back, so im not sure about the effectiveness of it but im also not sure if leep is remotely necessary for a low grade (but maybe they can do a 'mini' leep?) I hear of people having cryo and it recurring a lot. Also Laser is a great option, and not invasive

Im appalled at these horrible dr's . telling you she HAS NO TIME? YOU are her time at that point of the appointment. YOU are her prioirity . I would put in a complaint and even write a letter to her saying how she made you feel and that she should be ashamed. I did to my old one! I cant believe that anyone can get a license these days.

ITs so much easier to go through when you have a dr you like and who helps you though this!

Closed Thread