It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• General Anesthetic???? what the heck happened

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
    cityriderx
    (female)

cityriderx HB User
    Question General Anesthetic???? what the heck happened

I just had a LEEP done at an outpatient surgery center yesterday, much to my suprise it seems as if I had general anesthesia. Originally the office nurse had told me that I would be sedated a 'little' for the procedure. I had assumed it would be some sort of twilight sleep, conscious sedation, or something like that. Anyways, they did tell me to not eat or drink before I came in.

Long story short, in pre-op they had given me some sort of combo of versed and something else I can't remember. Then they wheel me into the OR, get me positioned, put a heart monitor on my back, put an oxygen mask on me, and then I went to sleep.
    I was out for about an hour and a half !! wow. very strange, I had never been put under before.
    I woke up and the oxygen mask was still on me.

Anyways, I asked the nurse if I had general anesthesia, she looked at the chart and said yes. Does that mean I had to have a tube in my throat??
    (I forgot to ask her that, although I don't know if she would have known the answer, she was just the post op nurse)
    My throat was not sore., and I did not have nausea.

Can you have general anesthesia that just makes you go to sleep for 1-2 hrs but does not shut down your breathing(and require a breathing tube)???
    I am trying to figure out what happened here, I wish they would have explained it more to me. I have always thought that with general anesthesia, you pretty much lose control of your own breathing functions,.. that kinda freaks me out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
    cjr4
    (female)

cjr4 HB User
    Re: General Anesthetic???? what the heck happened

No when you get general you always have a tube down your throat.. After my surgery for my galbladder i had a very sore throat but i also had no nausia. Usually your out longer than 2 hours with general.. I was out for 4 hours. So she might have been mistaken i dont know.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
    skf33

skf33 HB User

I had a cone last august. General was used. Its best to keep the patient still as possible, especially the muscles.

with any surgery, using general, the patient is always intubated...
    to allow for a open airway for them to "breathe" for you....as the meds
    relax your breathing along with everything else...not to freak you out or anything but your eyelids were taped too...dont fret, its freaky but its procedure.

I've witnessed alot of surgeries, and had 2.

The versed is given prior to the surgery,thats the "twilight" feeling and it also somewhat erases your memory....
    I remember being wheeled in, yawning, they said "Oh someones getting sleepy" and moving onto the table, being covered with some very nice warm blankets, looked down at a nurse getting things together,then taking a breath of the mask....boom.....gone....fast asleep....
    Went in at 6am got out at 9, woke up at 10am...felt like crap.....lol....

Old 01-07-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
    scared04
    (female)

scared04 HB User

Don't worry, I had the same thing done 3 weeks ago with my LEEP. I was put under general, I was asleep for 1-2 hours, they did not tape my eyelids shut, but they did use a tube, it didn't go all the way down my throat though, so my throat never did hurt. I was told, I would have "light" sedation too, and I guess it was just a general anesthetic, but less so it would be shorter, that was what they explained to me.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
    ktdid
    (female)

ktdid HB User

i too had a leep in november, and was put under.... i asked the anesthesiologist about the tube before hand. because that is what i dreaded . he said don't worry, they have a newer way where it is more like a tube in your mouth, and i don't think it went all the down your throat...maybe you had something similar

Old 01-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
    cityriderx
    (female)

cityriderx HB User

yeah thats probably what I had too. thanks for the responses,.
    I like to know what happens during all these procedures, its kinda frustrating to not know all the details, and then I don't think of the questions until later,.
    I thought that general anesthesia was a little overkill for the LEEP, but in retrospect, I guess its ideal to have the patient completelly still during the LEEP.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
    Smiley123
    (female)

Smiley123 HB User

cityriderx,

Can I ask what your diagnosis was in order for you to have a leep done? I have been diagnosed with mild dysplasia and my dr wants to do a leep. Im concerned with that because it is only mild. Please let me know if you dont mind.
    Thanks,
    Smiley123

Old 01-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
    cityriderx
    (female)

cityriderx HB User

well first of all, I had my first abnormal pap in Aug 2003. The doctor I had at the time just suggested to do a second pap, just in case the first one was a fluke. The second one came back abnormal also. Then I was scheduled for a colposcopy in Jan. 2004. The results of those were a little unclear to me, but the nurse told me that it was low grade dysplasia with potential to be high grade. ??? Anyway, the doctor just wanted me to come back in 6 months to get another pap. Well, in this time period, my doctor moved away to another state, so I had to search for a new doctor.

I found one I liked, and went in and told her the whole story, she did another pap, and got my old records. This pap was bad too, of course. So she did a colposcopy in Nov 2004. She explained some of what she was doing during the procedure, and from what I gathered, it sounded like I had 2 spots of dysplasia on my cervix. The results from the colp came back mild displasia, CIN I, and the nurse also mentioned that it was from the HPV virus, which I had never heard of before. But she also said that the DR thought that from looking at the cervix during the colp, it looked more like CIN II, moderate.

My doctor suggested the LEEP mainly because the dysplasia did not seem to be going away on its own, and it had been over a year since this was first discovered.

By the way, my recovery has been suprisingly good. No blood, some slight discharge though. not bad.. very minor cramping the following day. But right now I feel pretty much back to normal,. and its been 4 days.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
    Smiley123
    (female)

Smiley123 HB User

Thanks for responding. Our stories sound a lot alike. My first abnormal pap was in March. I have had 2 doctors since then because of doctors being unconcerned when I of course am and them acting like I shouldn't be. My dysplasia is apparently not going anywhere either. They haven't told me that it is CIN1 though. I go on the 18th and I have a bunch of questions for him so maybe I will know more then. It just seems odd that they would want to do the LEEP on me with just mild dysplasia though. I always worry about Doctors who pretend they are God. I have been going to this Dr since October and he seems to be very good. Im just scared that this is the wrong procedure to go through. Shouldnt he freeze the cells first or something before doing a leep? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Smiley123

Old 01-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
    cityriderx
    (female)

cityriderx HB User

From my understanding, (and I am just learning about all this recently), the LEEP seems to have a higher success rate than freezing. That is the impression I got when my DR's nurse explained it to me. I had mild to moderate dysplasia. The actual colp test came back CIN I, but she told me that the areas looked more like CIN II., even though they did not test out that way. The LEEP was suggested to me as a method to just get rid of this problem once and for all, since it was not looking like it was going to go away on its own. I'm 38 with 3 kids., and I wanted to get this problem resolved also, so I can put it behind me and not think about it anymore,,,(hopefully)

Closed Thread