It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• New/colposcopy/scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2003, 06:20 AM   #1
    Margatroyd

Margatroyd HB User
    Unhappy New/colposcopy/scared

I just stumbled upon this board and am hoping, quite frankly, I will not be needing it for much longer.

I had a routine exam with pap about 5 weeks ago. One week later the dr. called to say my pap was abnormal and they wanted to do a colposcopy. Ack. I should also point out that I had neglected my exams for 3 years. Now I'm beating myself up about that.

When I tried to question the nurse about the whole thing she was nice, but pretty much blew me off. I was not thrilled about waiting 5 weeks for this procedure. It would be nice if it was an indicator of no real concern, but I don't think it works that way.

My concerns are many. 1.) I'm hoping that my period does not start in the next two days. (the colposcopy is for wednesday, this is monday) Otherwise it will get pushed off for who knows how long? 2.) I worry that they will find "something" and I"ll have to go back. We have a big vacation (family) scheduled in a few weeks and I don't want this hanging over my head. 3.) I worry about the pain that might be involved.

It seems like different drs. probably do things a bit differently. There was no repeat pap for me, just straight to this procedure. Is this routine procedure for them, or an indication of something serious? I wish i knew. I tried to ask the nurse if the lab results indicated anything like that, but she wouldn't give me anything there.

Is there any harm in starting my period a few days after the colposcopy? ie. any risk of infection or anything? Maybe that is a dumb question, I just don't know.

I haven't had time to read thru all the messages here. I have three little boys who are clamoring for bfast!

If you can offer any insight I would be most grateful.

I just have to find my way back here again............

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
    MrsKramden

MrsKramden HB User
    Some gynecologists may do a colposcopy when someone has a period , some may not - you can call and ask your doctor.

I have had a million (okay, slight exaggeration LOL) colposcopys the past 12 months (menopaused, abnormal cervix, ovary cyst...)

They don't hurt, there's nothing to be afraid of. But I know that you are probably worried about what they may find.(As I always am!)

Abnormal cervical cells are common , these days, from what I have been hearing. It may be nothing or it may be something that needs attention now.

I hope that all goes well for you.

Old 07-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
    Janet in Texas

Janet in Texas HB User
    Marg,

Hang in there. I am 36 and have had yearly paps since I was about 21. Never a problem until last year. Pap came back abnormal. Your doctors office should be able to tell you what "grade" or "level" your pap was. There are alot of things that can cause your pap to come back abnormal and definately not all mean cancer. My pap was a level 1. I had a colposcopy. It came back inconclusive so they had to do it again. Didn't find anything. So they had to do the freezing of the cervix. Six months later had another pap and it was normal.

Hang in there. I understand that waiting can be the hardest part. But you can call your doc and ask what Level or Grade your pap was.
    5'5" F

Old 07-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
    Margatroyd

Margatroyd HB User
    Thumbs up

good news

i went for the colposcopy and all was good. when i spoke with the dr. prior to the exam he explained to me that the results were very borderline. he said another pathologist may not have read it with such caution. as it was, they found some atypical cells and could not rule out something more serious. which is why i found myself there yesterday.

as it turns out, he began the exam and asked if i had started my period. i had not, or at least not ******dly, but evidently i was about to. luckily he was still able to do the exam.

that was very uncomfortable wtih very brief flashes of pain, but it was ok. i don't recommend it routinely, but i'd do it again if i had to. (of course)

he was VERY thorough and finally saw one teeny suspicious spot. he did biopsy it, but told me he highly doubts anything will come of it.

he will be calling me regardless of results in approx. one week.

in the off-chance it is "anything" he said he doubts it would even need followup treatment.

i have learned my lesson about putting off exams. i will definitely follow a yearly schedule with great promptness. the anxiety i caused myself was not worth it.

thanks for your input.

:bouncing

Old 07-25-2003, 10:33 AM   #5
    Janet in Texas

Janet in Texas HB User
    Marg,

Right! So go get an exam yearly! That is great that he only found one spot! I had twelve "spots" that lit up that he had to biopsy. I had heard it was a simple thing and didn't realize that twelve was a little more than normal so I expected to just jump off the table after it was done and go back to work. NOT! I almost fainted when getting and had to lay there for about an hour but eventually made it back to work.

Sounds like you have a good and thorough doctor who doesn't want to take a chance. Sounds like you are in good hands!
    5'5" F

Old 08-01-2003, 06:19 AM   #6
    Micheybell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Micheybell HB User
    MARG - I had my first & only (so far) abnormal pap apprx. 6 years ago. I got a thin prep pap done after that to be sure that it was indeed abnormal. I had to go for a colposcopy too - that is nothing to be concerned about. From there depending on what the dr. sees you may need a biopsy (again this procedure, for me at least, was nothing to be concerned about). I did not need any anestesia of any sort. The only thing i felt was uncomfortable cramping (especially when they snipped the biopsy) but nothing you won't be able to handle. TRUST ME I'm a paranoid person always worrying when it comes to dr. appnt.'s. You'll be fine. In my case I need a LEEP procedure done to remove the cells from my cervix (I had Severe Dysplasia/CIN III). That procedure was a bit scary but it was bearable. If you find out you need anything further let me know I'll give you the breakdown if you'd like.

Hang in there you'll be fine.

PS - Don't put off your gyn. appnt's anymore. Go every 6 months just to be safe. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2003, 08:05 AM   #7
    Margatroyd

Margatroyd HB User
    me again

the dr. called with the biopsy report. i really appreciate that he calls directly. although i missed his initial call, when i returned it he came to the phone. how wonderful is that?

at any rate, the biopsy indicated mild dysplasia. because it was such a small area there is no indication for treatment now. i will follow up with a pap smear in 4 mos. (he recommended 4-6, i'm going in 4!!). we will proceed from there based on outcome.

i feel very good about this. in fact, i feel better now than i did entering into the colposcopy.

i am now preaching the need for regular pap tests. it would have saved me much anxiety if i had the security of knowing i had been going on a yearly basis. it was the stress of knowing i had let things go for 3 years that got to me. it's what i did to myself. i consider myself fortunate that nothing more complicated arose from my negligence and irresponsibility.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:19 AM   #8
    Lithiate
    (female)

Lithiate HB User
    I have always gone for yearly paps, sometimes even at 6 month intervals depending on what I'm in there for (used to get a lot of yeast infections and the doc would just do a pap to confirm it) and I had my first abnormal pap come back in March with a result of LGSIL (which is what, CIN I or something?). I had the colpo a few weeks later and it only showed LGSIL and nothing more, so my doc told me I could actually follow up in a year since I'm a reliable patient. He said if he thought I was less reliable he would have recommended coming in at the 6 month marker. I may go in in 6 months anyway, since I've never handled suspense well.

But even regular pap exams don't "prevent" this from happening. It only allows you to catch it sooner.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:38 PM   #9
    Margatroyd

Margatroyd HB User
    LIthiate wrote:

"But even regular pap exams don't "prevent" this from happening. It only allows you to catch it sooner. "

absolutely. i do recognize that i cannot prevent anything from returning. but now i also recognize that it is in my hands as far as catching something before it becomes too serious. i had never had any "abnormalities" and i think i got a bit too comfortable with that. (ok, and lazy too!) i am reformed, however!

thanks again to those who have replied. i am grateful for the support and information.

Old 08-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
    tracey2775

tracey2775 HB User
    wow your doctor was quick with your results. i had a colposcopy 3 weeks ago with a biopsy, and i was told the results would be in 8 weeks!

Old 08-02-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
    Margatroyd

Margatroyd HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by tracey2775:
    wow your doctor was quick with your results. i had a colposcopy 3 weeks ago with a biopsy, and i was told the results would be in 8 weeks!

that seems unbelievably long to me. did you ask why it takes so long?

Old 08-04-2003, 05:45 PM   #12
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    I had a a pap showing mild dysplasia and guess what?
    She called me and recommended a hysterectomy !! Never even mentioned biopsies.
    I ignored her. Next 3 paps were normal.
    So often it all depends on the doctor you're using.
    Nowadays doctors are Extremely Aggressive due to fear of a lawsuit. I rarely go to doctors anymore since they usually recommend a biopsy for a hangnail. They have really changed over the decades.

------------------
    Best Wishes to All,
    Susan Gene

Old 08-08-2003, 04:57 PM   #13
    maxsam
    (female)

maxsam HB User
    Doctors also make alot of money from hysterectomies and colposcopy's (sorry if my spelling is off).

I had a doctor who told me I needed a hysterectomy because I had heavy periods.

Well the actual reason I had heavy periods was because I had low thyroid function - but he never checked that out. It was my family doctor who discovered it.

Yes some doctors are paranoid about lawsuits but unfortunately there are doctors out there that are just in it for the buck.

Always get a second opinion about any surgery.

Also I have now gone to all women doctors. It really has made a difference - espcially my gyn. Only a women can really know what it's like to have these women's problems. Men doctors are okay but women doctors are right there with you. They can identify. They know how it feels (really)- not how a book tells you it feels. Plus I find that women doctors talk to you more. Maybe that is just my experience but I am not going back to men doctors any time soon.

Good luck to all on the board.

Closed Thread