It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Cervical cancer and birth control pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
    Smiley123
    (female)

Smiley123 HB User
    Cervical cancer and birth control pills

I have read several articals that say that birth control pills can cause us to have abnormal cells, dysplasia, or cervical cancer. If you ladies would reply back to this by telling me what kind of BC you are taking and for how long and what stages you are in I would appreciate it. My mom is really convinced that my problems are due to my taking birth control pills. Also if you dont take the bc pills and are still having these problems I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks a bunch.

Smiley123

Last edited by Smiley123; 02-21-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
    lobo1977

lobo1977 HB User
    Re: Cervical cancer and birth control pills

I am almost sure that its NOT the pills themselves, but the fact that women tend to be less careful (aka not use condoms) when on the pill, therefore at a higher risk for getting hpv and abnormal cells. It isnt explained like this on the 'warning' notes on the pills but I do remember reading that this was what it was, and not something in the pills themselves( but i could be wrong)

Old 02-21-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
    ElenaK
    (female)

ElenaK HB User

I agree with lobo... Taking BCPs can only be a pre-disposing factor, also because the pill depletes the body's folic acid resources. I have never taken the pill and I still have dyplasia. I would be more worried about clots than dysplasia as far as BCPs are concerned, esp. when combined with smoking. (BTW, I do not smoke and I still have dysplasia...)

Old 02-22-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
    aussie22
    (female)

aussie22 HB User

Birth control pills are also supposed to reduce your risks of suffering from ovarian cancer/ovarian cysts since they control your ovulation

Old 02-22-2005, 05:55 AM   #5
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

BC does not give a woman dyplsasia... HPV (High Risk) strain does.

They say it may contribute to it because woman are less likely to use protection when they are on the pill... Which puts us at risk for catching an STD.

I'm not sure about the whole decrease folic acid w/ BC, but they say that woman who are in their child bearing years are suppose to take folic acid once a day... Even if your not pregnant.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
    Smiley123
    (female)

Smiley123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cocoeyes
    BC does not give a woman dyplsasia... HPV (High Risk) strain does.

They say it may contribute to it because woman are less likely to use protection when they are on the pill... Which puts us at risk for catching an STD.

I'm not sure about the whole decrease folic acid w/ BC, but they say that woman who are in their child bearing years are suppose to take folic acid once a day... Even if your not pregnant.

Actually I do not have HPV and I am still having problems. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Smiley123

Old 02-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
    lobo1977

lobo1977 HB User

ive seen percentages from 5-10 percent of dysplasia without hpv...in those cases id be curious to see what the causes are, aka smoking...etc.....but the breakdown of just that population

Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
    scaredone

scaredone HB User

i am a non-hpv.

i don't know what role BC pills played in my problems- i think with me it was mainly genetics, as my mother, paternal and maternal grandmothers, 3 aunts, and both sisters ALL have ended up with cervical cancer- not to mention that my paternal grandmother and an aunt on my maternal side both have breast cancer. feminine cancers run rampantly thru my family.

with that said- i think it is worth mentioning that i took BC pills for about 12 years (from the time i was 13- and let me stress i was NOT sexually active at that point- rather i had severely abnormal periods.) i have also read that- while the pill is linked with *less* occurance of uterine cancers, that it was linked to *increase* in cervical cancer- though i don't know if they can specifically figure out why.

Closed Thread