It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Aggressive Cold knife, cone biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
    gogo123
    (female)

gogo123 HB User
    Aggressive Cold knife, cone biopsy

Hello all, My doctor scheduled me today for an aggressive cold knife this friday..Due to one unsuccessful leep last year followed by again an unsuccessful cryo 4 months ago,, or could be recurrence,, he now thinks its best we do an aggressive cone being that im done with children but dont think i need a hyst because my results from last year colpo and 4 months ago colpo are the same at CIN 1.....please someone help.. Has any one had unsuccessful treatments before that "one" successful one,,,,and can someone please tell me how bad is the aggressive cold knife recovery????? Im doing it in the hospital under general...Im petrified about recovery..Please reply THANKS

Last edited by gogo123; 04-11-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
    lobo1977

lobo1977 HB User
    Re: Aggressive Cold knife, cone biopsy

I dont see why you would need that for CIN1! A repeat LEEP or laser or even leep cone seems right... It may be persistant but if its not progressing, you really dont need that much of a surgery (Unless he just figures its been going on forever and you dont want kids...) If done by a good/skilled dr it is not a bad surgery, but it can lead to some bleeding etc. However aside from fertility etc issues being affected possibly, I dont think there are any other possible risks .....and it is very effective . But - again, for CIN1 it seems drastic.....

I would ask about a laser.. much less invasive...I had it and all went well!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
    kra
    (female)

kra HB User

Gogo,
    I was also petrified when my dr. said I would need a cold knife cone. I've never had surgery or been under before. Because I had CIN III the dr. decided to excise about
    2/3 of my cervix with the cone. As far as the recovery, it really wasn't that bad. I only
    had VERY MINOR cramps which went away after day 2 or 3. The downside is that with this procedure you will experience bleeding for up to 2 weeks. You should also refrain from lifting anything heavy for about 15 days but you actually feel like you could go back to your normal routine so it's a bit hard to be good and not be too active. Recovery time varies from 4-6 weeks depending on how big your cone is. Since mine was so big I am on week 5 and still my dr. hasn't given me the ok as far as sex, tampons etc...

Old 04-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
    ktdid
    (female)

ktdid HB User

hello, i too am recovering from a cold knife cone, i had about 2 weeks ago. i had my first abnormal pap last april.(cinIII).. had recurrance again, had another leep in november, cinIII, then again now so thats why i had to have cold knife.... it did come back with clear margins. so now i just have to wait 4 months and hope its gone for good..... as for recovery, for me, it was worse than leep. much more crampy. i felt good in about 3 days. then i started back to my old routine and then all of the sudden i was TERRIBLE!!!!!!! the worst cramping ever, then fever, chills.....i ended up needing an antibiotic. it took about 3 days for it to really make me feel better though. my whole stomach area was in so much pain, even to touch. it was awful!!!!
    so take it easy afterwards!!!!! good luck!!

Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
    gogo123
    (female)

gogo123 HB User

thank you for reply,,,I dont know what to expect,,my leep last year was a little difficult because i went to my normal routine in 4 days and then had bleeding i kept going for cauterising the bleeding part and it killed...so now i am more scared than ever..and yours sounded worse,,lol,,omg ..why? do we go thru this I hope NO more recurrence for anyone thats in this position..regards

Old 04-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #6
    Ivana
    Inactive
    (female)

Ivana HB User

Good luck on Friday. I pray no complications this time. I agree with lobo, if you're done with kids it's probably why your doctor has chosen this procedure. Even though it's always mild dysplasia I think the fact that it's recurring makes you a candidate for a cone biopsy. You're very likely to no longer have any problems after this procedure.

Recurrent dysplasia is the worst! Just when you think a LEEP did the trick it's back! It feels like it's never-ending! I'll be thinking of you on Friday...keep me posted on your recovery

Old 01-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
    Stefanie48
    (female)

Stefanie48 HB User

I know this was post back in 2004, but I just came across it when I was looking for info about cold cone biopsy. From what I have read The LEEP was done before the cold cone biopsy, or after other things have failed to work. I had a colposcopy done last month. It came back as moderate dysplasia. Now I am schedule next week for a cold cone biopsy. What I cant figure out after reading everything here is why would he choose this procedure before the others. I was thinking that maybe its worse then what he told me. Now I'm really worried. I go Monday for my pre-op test, I think I will ask him why. If anyone has any input on this for me, please share.

Closed Thread