It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Surgery Date For Removal Of Ovarian Cyst - Eek!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
    rowdy_angel
    (female)

rowdy_angel HB User
    Unhappy Surgery Date For Removal Of Ovarian Cyst - Eek!!

Hi guys,

just had a call from the gyn ward at my hospital.

I am schedule for surgery on Fri 13th May - can you believe that date?? OMG I am totally freaking out now! I'm petrified.

They're going to have to sedate me as soon as I get there, either that or strap me to the bed otherwise I can't see how I'll cope!

I feel sick. Got to go in for pre-op assessment on Tue 10th May at 11.30 and I'm also still waiting for my MRI scan which should be sometime before I go in.

I'm booked in for a laparoscopy BUT depending on what they find it could be removal of cyst and possibly 1 or both ovaries, worse case, a hysterectomy.

I have never been so scared in all my life.

Rowdy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 05:01 AM   #2
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
    Re: Surgery Date For Removal Of Ovarian Cyst - Eek!!

Rowdy ,
    Calm down! Remember my 11 year old just did this and she was fine. I hope and pray that yours too will be benign. Don't be nervous about the surgery. I myself have had 5 major surgeries for the amputation and followups for my leg and surgery is not that bad. They will give you good drugs to knock you out and make you drowsy before you even get into the theatre as you guys call it.
    My daughter only threw up after , which most people do from the anesthesia drugs. Most people do. It took her 5 days to re cuperate at home from the operation but she is also ill from the kidney damage and waiting for that surgery on May31st.
    I will pray that your surgery goes well. The statistics are with you as they were with my daughter. We still don't have her final pathology reports. They have to send out the different layers of the tumors to John Hopkins which is a renowned hospital /lab here. We get her results on the 10th at her followup.
    I was just reading a report the other day about how melanoma is striking children today at a higher rate and shocking drs. My daughter is in the high risk group- fair skin, red hair. We use 70 spf but try to limit her outdoor time but at school they don't care making them go outside unprotected at all times and they aren't allowed hats!
    So cancer in younger ages is not uncommon but we are hopeful for todays kids.
    Take care and try to think good thoughts.At least the drs are moving fast for you and not taking a "wait and see" approach. I like that . That means that , just like with my daughter they aren't going to take any chances!
    Take care

Old 04-29-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
    rowdy_angel
    (female)

rowdy_angel HB User

Bhuneke, thanks for your reply.

I feel ashamed to be acting so soft about this. I think my problem stems from when I have my appendix out when i was 11 - 22 years ago. It was an emergency operation as they were about ready to burst. I remember coming round in the recovery room and for some strange reason they had layed me on my right side (where the incision was) and everything was blurred. I could see people in green gowns, I looked at the clock and noticed it was an hour since I'd been taken down. Then it hit me - the pain! It was excruciating. Then I threw up.

My mum and dad were waiting up in the ward for me to come out of surgery. A few days later, my dad told me that he could tell I was on my way back up to the ward - because he could hear me screaming in the lift (elevator). I was shouting "I want to go home! I don't like it. It hurts!"

I am certain that this has scarred me mentally and is the reason for me being so damned scared.

I can't begin to imagine what you and your little girl have/are gone/going through. I feel so ashamed with myself.

Of course, I should be glad that this has happened so quickly but I think it has overwhelmed me.

Obviously there is also the worry about whether or not the cyst is benign or malignant. I've just not coped at all well with what's been happening.

I am praying so very hard, both for myself and for anyone else who is going through the same sort of things right now.

Rowdy.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Oh Rowdy You are right to be scared! When you have a bad experience like that happen to yoy at 11 then it scares yo later in life. I am so thankful that my daughter had such a positive experience this ti,me so that her surgery in 4 weeks will not be scary for her.
    I hope that you will have a good support system with you on this day of your surgery. Never be ashamed of being afraid, we are all human and afraid of something in life.
    Know that on that day all of us will be with you in spirit, your sisters from this board, and will reach out our hands to you.
    B

Old 04-29-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
    jktbre
    (female)

jktbre HB User

rowdy, hugs! you will be fine it is natural to be afraid. i would worry more about you if you weren't!

bhuneke, let us know the results from the path lab when you get them. your daughter is on my mind quite often.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
    rowdy_angel
    (female)

rowdy_angel HB User
    Question Re: Surgery Date For Removal Of Ovarian Cyst - Eek!!

Thanks everyone.

I really appreciate your support.

I'm already compiling a list of things to take into hospital with me. One thing I have just added (which I never would have thought of before) are my rosary beads. I've had them since I took my first Holy Communion aged 7. They were blessed by the Bishop. I'm not a deeply religious person but I have been praying so much these last few weeks.

In fact, I took my rosary beads with me when I went to see my gyn last week and it made me feel better.

At the moment I'm not feeling too bad. I keep asking my self though, why do I have to have surgery for this? I'm not in any pain, just discomfort. I worry that by having surgery, I will have no end of problems with pain afterwards and maybe for the rest of my life. I feel so very healthy right now and it worries me that my health will suffer permanently.

I also feel frustrated in that my husband doesn't quite seem to understand why I am getting so worked up about it. He thinks it's just a case of having a probe stuck into my tummy and the cyst will be gone. It would be great if it was that simple and it could be, then again it might not be. I'm due to start my period on Wed 4th May and I am so worried that it could be the last one I ever have. I've never suffered with my periods being heavy and I've never had severe period pain (even with this cyst), which is why I am questioning having to have this surgery and a possible hysterectomy. It seems too drastic if you know what I mean.

I will be going to my pre-op armed with many questions including why surgery is the only answer.

Thanks again for all your support. I will keep you informed.

Rowdy.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:14 AM   #7
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Rowdy,
    My daughter NEVER had any pain or period abnormality and her "mass" as the drs called it was quite large in an 87 lb child. 7.9x5.5x5.1 were the dimensions of the one on the left, not sure about the one on the right. So I guess it can be normal not to feel any signs or symptoms of pain or discomfort.
    Take comfortable jammies and make sure if they have shorts, they are the low rise kind. You will want to wear a dress home as you will probably be to sore we found in my daughter's case to wear pants home. They hit, even the low rise about where the incisions are.
    Take care

Old 05-01-2005, 07:56 AM   #8
    jktbre
    (female)

jktbre HB User

your hubby may be tryingto hide his fear so that he can be brave for you, rowdy.

i think the beeds are a great idea, good luck and think positive thoughts.

kricket

Old 05-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Good news! Mary's biopsy final report came back BENIGN! She was just one of those unlucky 11 yr lds that had cysts on her ovaries. Now she has her kidney surgery on May31st , hopefully this will make her feel better. She is running low grade temps every day and still not eating well.The GYN dr said if her period doesn't come back by Aug they might have t o put her on thre Pill to get it going again for a few months but hopefully it won't come to that.
    She seems to be doing well except for the kidney issue so I guess we are happy now.
    Rowdy I wish you the best. I will check up on your dates to see how things go.
    Jktbre, let us know what's going on with you. You've been quiet lately. I hope the military is treating you nice. I just"fired" my neuro dr, he was a huge jerk. Very rude and not treating my seizures and I got tired of having to figure out how to prevent them or treat them myself. Mary's dr was yting to give me advice but he's a Ped Neuro and said get a new one so I did!
    Take care

Old 05-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
    jktbre
    (female)

jktbre HB User

that is such great news! time to celebrate!!!hugs to you both

i see the onocologist on friday..will see what happens then. mass is now 7.9cm with free flowing fluid. was hoping the darn thing would go away.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #11
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Jktbre,
    I will pray for you! Mary had her age going for I know. Plus the added benefit that the kidney thing was thrown in making it more likely to be the culprit.
    Her dr said even when they "washed" her out it came back negative.
    They will send yours off probably to San Fransico wouldn't you think? They have good Patholigists in UC so I imagine that would be the closet civilian if they doubt the dx.
    Good luck to you. I know your surgery date is the 18th right? Keep us posted.
    Bonnie

Old 05-16-2005, 04:48 AM   #12
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Rowdy How did your surgery go? Are you OK?
    Let us know how you are faring?Worried about you!
    Bonnie

Old 05-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
    rowdy_angel
    (female)

rowdy_angel HB User
    Talking Re: Surgery Date For Removal Of Ovarian Cyst - Eek!!

Hi guys! Iím back!!

I got discharged from hospital at lunchtime today and I am so glad to be home. I missed my house and cats so very much. They looked after me very well in hospital but thereís nothing better for healing than being in familiar surroundings. Anyway this is going to be a very long post so Iíd better get started.

Had surgery on Fri 13th as planned Ė 1pm I went down to theatre. I was given a pre-med but Iíd only had it about half an hour when they came to take me down. I was still awake but very drowsy. I was aware of what was going on but I was too drowsy to be bothered.

I remember going down to the anaesthetics room on the trolley and I remember them putting the heart monitor pads on my chest. I also remember the canular being put into my hand. Then I remember the anaesthetist injecting the anaesthetic and then Ė nothing.

Next thing, I heard a female voice tell me that I was being taken back up to the ward but I donít remember opening my eyes. I got back to the ward about 2 hours later. I had an IV fluid drip, a catheter and also a drain for the blood from the wound (which I wasnít aware I had until the following day). My OH came to see me and stayed just for a few minutes to make sure I was OK and I remember him telling me that I had had a hysterectomy. I slept until Saturday morning. The nurses kept coming and taking my blood pressure etc.

Saturday afternoon they got me up out of bed and I walked down the corridor carrying my drain and wee-bag. I ate for the first time and was fine. Fluid drip was removed Saturday morning. Had drain removed on Sunday and that was the worst part of the whole thing. It felt like someone was pulling my insides out. It knocks me sick when I think about it! Had bath on the Tuesday with assistance and felt so much better by then. I was moving around a lot easier but was getting terrible back ache with having to carry my wee-bag around. Finally, the catheter was taken out on Tuesday night Ė didnít hurt at all and within 20 minutes I was sat on the loo having my first pee Ė didnít hurt. Had a bath without assistance Wednesday morning Ė felt brilliant Ė moving about a lot better with no wee-bag to carry. Kept going for walks outside so that I could ring/text people on my mobile. Also had first bowel movement since the op Ė how chuffed was I?

Got up this morning and had a bath before breakfast. Then the ward sister (lovely lady) came to tell me not to move from the ward as the doctor was coming to see me and it was good news Ė I would be going home in the afternoon Ė but I had to keep quiet as she didnít usually tell people that. So I sat waiting. I was bursting for a pee but there was no way I was moving until I had seen my gyn. Finally he came to see me along with the lovely ward sister. He asked how I was. Told him I felt great. He asked if my body was doing everything it should and I said yes, bladder works, bowels work, walking around OK-ish. Then he told me that he had got the results back from histology and thatís when I started shaking. He said that all results came back negative for cancer!! Well, at this point I broke down. The sister came and put her arm around me and said ďI know how frightened you were. You just let it all out. I know what a very huge relief this is for you.Ē After I composed myself, I asked my gyn exactly what was done and what they found.

He said that I had a huge fibroma on my right ovary, another smaller one on my left vary, fluid on my lungs and ascetis in my abdomen. The big fibroma was irregular in shape and had a nobbly bit on it which was just as well as they used this nobbly bit to get the damned thing out! Thatís why they decided to do the hysterectomy, then if the results had com back as cancerous, then at least I wouldnít need further surgery. They took samples of the fibromas, the fluid on my lungs, my bowel and the ascetis and they all came back negative. Turns out I had something called Miegs (meegs) Syndrome. Very rare. Iíve not even looked it up on the internet yet.

So now I am just waiting for my medication to arrive. The sister only lives round the corner from me and she said that she would drop it off tonight for me Ė how sweet is that? It will be trial and error with the HRT Ė have to see how it goes for a couple of weeks and then go to clinic. Iíve already got my 12-week appointment through for 1st August!!

Been signed off sick for 6 weeks initially and then Iíll see how it goes. I finish at my current employers on 27th May and I need to speak to my new boss to see if he wants to put me down for starting at the beginning of June but be off sick for 4 weeks in which case Iíll need another sick note.

So, Iím now doing my pelvic floor exercises, having a nap for a couple of hours every day, and taking it easy. No driving, lifting (no heavier than a kettle full of water), carrying, pushing or pulling. I can bend and reach but in moderation. Hubby is looking after me for next couple of weeks until Iím more mobile Ė I get very stiff if Iím sat down for too long.

I will be following all of the instructions given to me by the physio religiously. I donít want to end up back in hospital with a prolapsed bladder do I??????

So, thereís the story. I want to thank all you guys for your help and support. It means so much to me. You all said that I would come out of this OK at the other end and I have and am making good progress. I am a changed person. I will never take anything for granted ever again. I have so much to look forward to Ė new job, fostering and many other things.

Iíll keep you updated with my recovery.

Love
    Rowdy XX

Old 05-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #14
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Rowdy, That is great news that it wasn't CANCER!!!!I am sorry that you had to have the hysterectomy, sometimes they do what they need to , in order to find out the severity of things.
    I am thankful your surgery went well and it sounds like you were well taken care of. Don't overdo at home and take good care of yourself.
    Bonnie

Closed Thread