It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LEEP and future pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
    brixylake
    (female)

brixylake HB User
    LEEP and future pregnancy

Hi... I just found out yesterday I will be having a LEEP procedure done in two weeks for abnormal precancerous cells on my cervix. On April 22, 2005 I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks, then a D&C. I'm anxious to get pregnant again, but am now worried about this LEEP procedure interferring with future pregnancy. Has anyone had experience with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
    laura78
    (female)

laura78 HB User
    Re: LEEP and future pregnancy

I just posted with a similar question. I wish I knew the answer. All I know is to tell your doctor before the LEEP that you want to have children. Just be sure he knows. My doctor said he tried to take a very shallow LEEP with me for that reason. But honestly, when I feel around up there, it feels like half my cervix is just gone.

I wish you good luck in your journey with this (and I think I'll be right there with you!)--just be open and frank with your doctor about your concerns and fears.

Laura

Old 06-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
    redstarr987
    (female)

redstarr987 HB User

Lots of women have become pregnant after having a LEEP. My cousin had no problems. Although, the doctors might want you to wait a while before trying again so they can make sure they removed all of the dysplasia or cancer. They can't even take a biopsy if you are pg. They just use a brush when they do the colpo. I had 2 of them done and they both came up inconclusive. They told me it "looked" like it could be HGSIL but weren't certain. I delivered April 26th so I finally get to have real results soon. Wish me luck!

Old 06-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
    SLJ16
    (female)

SLJ16 HB User

I am too concerned about future pregancy. I'm 25 yrs old. I had an abnormal pap in Nov followed by the colpo which showed mild dysplasia. then i had the LEEP in January. i just had my follow up pap and that showed mild dysplasia. so im going to have a colpo on Monday. i'm so scared to have another LEEP if i need one. i really need some advice...

Old 06-09-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
    victoria48
    Veteran
    (female)

victoria48 HB User

I asked the doctor about whether the leep (or loop) as we call it in the UK would affect my chances of getting pregnant and carrying a baby and she told me that it would not at all.

The cervix is a part of the body which regenerates itself apparently. She told me that 6 months after my leep, the piece of skin which was removed would have grown back.

I actually saw the piece of flesh they removed and it was kind of cubed-shaped no bigger than a dime.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
    sllefler
    (female)

sllefler HB User

I'm currently 12wks pregnant and my doctor has me as a high risk prenancy due to the cone biopsy. I went to my doctors appt. yesterday to have an ultrasound done and they rescheduled me back in 2 more weeks for another one. He referred to my cervix as being short and I had my surgery done 2 years ago. I asked what complications would I have he said preterm labor or miscarriage. He also did mention putting a stitch in my cervix to hold the baby. I'm scared. All I can do is pray.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
    Jitterygal
    (female)

Jitterygal HB User

I had LEEP in my late 20s and had a child at 36!!! The doctor always teased me about my tiny little cervix, but I did not have to have my cervix sutchered as he thought I might...I carried my daughter to full term with no problems...So be encouraged!!!! Jitterygal

Old 08-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
    ttravers
    (female)

ttravers HB User

I do not agree with Victoria. I have severe dysplasia. In one week I am going for my 4th sugery in less than one year. After my 2nd Leep my doctor told me that granted it will not be difficult to conceive; however, bearing the weight of the child will be difficult. Between the colpos and the Leeps....in the end they end up taking a significant amount of the cervix. My doc said that I would need to go in even before I start thinking about a family....that I would need to go in and have my cervix sewn shut. They said that once the baby hits 2 lbs., I would lose it. So by them sewing it shut...the baby will have no where to go...but to grow All children will obviously be delivered thru c-section. So that's what I have been told. I was also told to wait until the dysplasia is gone b/c the drastic change in cells can change the irregular cells into cancer. The end result...a hysterectomy while being pregnant. NOT GOOD. I'm sure depending on how far along..the child may or may not make through. So there's something to think about. I think about it everyday...especially now that I am going on my 4th surgery. Hell, I'm surprised I even have a cervix left.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #9
    ladivapr02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladivapr02 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttravers
    I was also told to wait until the dysplasia is gone b/c the drastic change in cells can change the irregular cells into cancer.
    Heavens this is what I'm freaked out about using the Pill having displasya. Can anybody please tell me that while in the Pill there is not such drastic change in cervical cells?? I know I sound like a broken record but I read this and I get scared.

Closed Thread