It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Worried about Cone procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
    lily844
    (female)

lily844 HB User
    Red face Worried about Cone procedure

I am 28 years old and have had abnormal paps for the last 4 years. I went to colposcopy and everything looked okay but the pap came back abnormal with mild changes. They did a small biopsy and then I had another pap which came back with no changes. At the follow up she noticed some small displasia again. So - last time I went, she said that she couldn't see anything wrong at all but did a biopsy anyway and it came back fine,...but the pap came back with high-grade changes???

She said that she'd like to do a cone in 3 weeks. I'm worried about the possible side affects as the nurse mentioned that there is a risk of misscarriage in future pregnancies due to incompetent cervix. I've looked it up online and it seems there are varied opions on this.

I just worried about this and was hoping if someone could tell me what and if I should be worried about. I'm just hoping someone has had something similar where the biospy was fine but the pap wasn't.
    Thanks.

Last edited by lily844; 06-29-2005 at 10:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
    tbgeorge

tbgeorge HB User
    Re: Worried about Cone procedure

After 5 years of having normal paps, I was diagnosed with carcinoma in situ. Talk about shocked, confused, and scared. The treatment recommended by doctors was no doubt the cold knife conization. This was recommended to get all of the cancer cells and a clean margin of good cells. It also perserve my ability to have children.

I was told the risk of miscarriage is no more than any other person trying to concieve. Your more likely to have early labor. This is rare and about a 10% risk. My doctor was very comforting. I was told to wait atleast 3 months before thinking of trying.

I had surgury a week and a half ago. I went under general anestesia and don't remember a thing. I think it was more embarrising then anything. I've always been modest. My biggest discomfort was from some abrashions on the edge of the vigina from surgery. It was painful to sit and it burned/stung. Cramping was slight but no worse than normal menstrual cramps. I stayed away from caffiene and things that normally increase cramps. My period started a week later and felt no different. Of course, waiting for the results of the biopsy is nerve wrecking.

I recommend using a doctor your comfortable with and specializes in OB/GYN oncology. I'm a wimp, so I also suggest having someone is with you for about 2 days after surgery.

Hope this helps, sorry you have to wait so long.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
    austin4

austin4 HB User

I had a cone over 25 years ago and they told me all that. I had zero problems...if during the pregnancy your cervix weakens they can sew it up to hold the baby in. Upside, when i dilated it went fast... 4 hrs beginning to end. So after almost 30 years of normal paps I've now gone abnormal with atypical glandular. I wish I could remember what my last diagnosis was... I'm waiting for the results of the thin prep and to find out if I'm HPV. Since finding out I've gone vitamins and Indo 3... I would love to see a noticeable change if I have to have a biopsy Docs sometimes just hate it when an alt med works Good luck !

Old 09-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
    Lvnglf
    (female)

Lvnglf HB User

to my knowledge both pap and punch biopsy is extremely area sensitive. As, that tiny area of the punch or the vague smear is quite confusing but, tells 'em who needs further evaluation-thats all. The leep procedure is both a "cure" and a larger biopsy.

I've heard one single cone procedure is not a "big deal" as far as future plans of pregnancy. I've had one, no big deal. Little cramping of course, few days of being carefull but natta big deal.

If the pap wasn't fine, then you just simply need further "investigation". Your punch biopsy might not of been "at the right place" or it could be that your smear wasn't well read. Either way, it's easier to prevent than try to fix. So, if by chance your smear was masked by something or your biopsy wasn't "taken" from the right spot, a leep is no big deal, it's just further investigation.

If you feel unsure about the leep, for future pregnancies, get a second opinion. Go for another smear?

Take 'r eas.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
    retiredusmcwife
    (female)

retiredusmcwife HB User

I'm worried about the possible side affects as the nurse mentioned that there is a risk of misscarriage in future pregnancies due to incompetent cervix. I've looked it up online and it seems there are varied opions on this

I don't know why a nurse would say that... I am not a nurse... but I had a cone done back in 1991... and I was prego at the same time... I didn't know it because they never did a blood test for it before the surgery... anyways, they did the cone, I had a high risk prego, but delivered well, becuase the cervix did not dialate I had a c-section. I have 3 kids now... still have a 10% cervix from cone...

You will be fine... it's 13 years now for me Bless you

Closed Thread