It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• I have Mild Dysplasia and Need Your Knowledge

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
    audra_c_21
    (female)

audra_c_21 HB User
    Question I have Mild Dysplasia and Need Your Knowledge

I need some input please.......
    In October 2004 I had gone in for my annual pap. I didn't hear anything back and figured no news was good news. Then last month (July 2005), I got a call from my Doctor's office. They said I needed to come in for a repeat pap and that I was way past due for one. They also said that this was just a checkup for the abnormal pap from last October. Abnormal pap??? I didn't even know because no one told me or sent me a letter. I asked for an explanation but it seemed like no one knew what was going on.

I'd also like to point out that I had been seeing this Doctor for other female problems. I'm 23 and over the last two years my menstral cycle has basically been nonexistant--maybe 3-4 cycles a year. I also do not have a sex drive at all. This isn't normal and no Doctor can tell me why. Anyone ever experience this??

So I go in for the 2nd pap. Abormal again. I am then sent to a different doctor to have a colp done and she takes 3 biopsies. Of course I didn't hear from that Doctor either so I had to call her. The results were in and I have mild dysplasia. She suggests another pap in 6 months.

So.........After having Mild Dysplasia for 10 months, how often do I need to get retested before getting treatment (in your experience)?? Should I get copies of all the lab work (do I rightfully have access to those records)?? Should I get a second opinion or start seeing another Doctor?? I'm extremely stressed because I don't have much faith in these doctors since they tend not to call me back. They also can't seem to figure out why I don't have periods or a sex drive. I'm in desperate need of your help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User
    Re: I have Mild Dysplasia and Need Your Knowledge

Quote:
    Originally Posted by audra_c_21
    I need some input please.......
    In October 2004 I had gone in for my annual pap. I didn't hear anything back and figured no news was good news. Then last month (July 2005), I got a call from my Doctor's office. They said I needed to come in for a repeat pap and that I was way past due for one. They also said that this was just a checkup for the abnormal pap from last October. Abnormal pap??? I didn't even know because no one told me or sent me a letter. I asked for an explanation but it seemed like no one knew what was going on.

I'd also like to point out that I had been seeing this Doctor for other female problems. I'm 23 and over the last two years my menstral cycle has basically been nonexistant--maybe 3-4 cycles a year. I also do not have a sex drive at all. This isn't normal and no Doctor can tell me why. Anyone ever experience this??

So I go in for the 2nd pap. Abormal again. I am then sent to a different doctor to have a colp done and she takes 3 biopsies. Of course I didn't hear from that Doctor either so I had to call her. The results were in and I have mild dysplasia. She suggests another pap in 6 months.

So.........After having Mild Dysplasia for 10 months, how often do I need to get retested before getting treatment (in your experience)?? Should I get copies of all the lab work (do I rightfully have access to those records)?? Should I get a second opinion or start seeing another Doctor?? I'm extremely stressed because I don't have much faith in these doctors since they tend not to call me back. They also can't seem to figure out why I don't have periods or a sex drive. I'm in desperate need of your help!!!!
    I had mild dysplasia in the year of 2003. They did the wait and see so I came back in 6-months. Did another pap, in 4-months they wanted me to do another pap. Said Mild dysplasia so they did a colopscopy and found NOTHING. So I did another wait and see... I tried hard to see if the dyplasia would go away on it's own because it can when it is in the mild stage and most doctors don't see the reason for surgery right then and there anyway. But I got sooo tired of going back to the doctors and I had THREE colop which were painfull to me. So in the year of 2005 I decided to get the cyrosrgery because my doctor said she only sees one little white spot that just won't go away. I guess I can be thankfull that it never PROGRESSED.

MY thing is, is that you can do the wait and see but it's such a headache when you can just try to do a procedure to get rid of it. I wouldn't get a LEEP if it's mild no cutting if it's not severe.

I was more worried about having kids but I hear cyro doesn't pose a great huge risk on messing with your cervix. As for your periods, I would have your doctor see what's going on with that. Either you are irregular or it's something else going on. But I wouldn't put too much stress on it until you see your doctor.

I go for my check up sometime in Sept or Oct... Wish me luck with this

Old 08-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
    ladivapr02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladivapr02 HB User

its so sad to hear careless doctors. I'm picky with my doctors and if I don't like them I switch them. Heck I'm not giving them my money if they are not good.

I don't know much about issues with no sex drive but if i were a doctor at least I would have run some bloodwork to check how your hormones (level of testosterone)are doing and go from there.

Regarding your dysplasia the doctor should definetly have to touch base with you. My doctor called me right away when she got my results of mild dysplasia. A doctor cann't miss to not call someone with that diagnosis. Thankfully your diagnosis is only mild imagine if it would had missed to say if it was moderate or severe. If it's me I would change the doctor for bad service.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
    audra_c_21
    (female)

audra_c_21 HB User

Thank you Cocoeyes and Ladivapr02!!

I appreciate your input. As far as the periods and sex drive goes, I have done a lot of bloodwork. They thought this could be a thyroid problem, but it wasn't. Then I was told that it was PROBABLY a lack of hormones. Probably? I was offered no info on how to fix these problems. My periods started out regular and then changed. When all of this happened, I was feeling really scared. But not so much now, just frustration!!

Can I request a cyro? I feel like my doctors don't really listen to my concerns. I think it might be time to change doctors. Are you awake during the cyro? Does it hurt during and after?

Thanks again girls and good luck Cocoeyes--my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
    ladivapr02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladivapr02 HB User

Lack of sex audra usually has to do with testosterone (this is the sex drive hormone) I have read here of birth control pills that actually have testosterone on it, but I don't know much. ARe you on birth control?

I don't think cryosurgery is something like you can request like that. I guess you can always mention but it all will depend what the doctor thinks. Doctors will tend to go the least invasive possible. On a note begin taking folic acid supplements, being said that it helps improve dysplasia

BTW audra I too have my check up next month so pray for me too!

Old 08-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by audra_c_21
    Thank you Cocoeyes and Ladivapr02!!

I appreciate your input. As far as the periods and sex drive goes, I have done a lot of bloodwork. They thought this could be a thyroid problem, but it wasn't. Then I was told that it was PROBABLY a lack of hormones. Probably? I was offered no info on how to fix these problems. My periods started out regular and then changed. When all of this happened, I was feeling really scared. But not so much now, just frustration!!

Can I request a cyro? I feel like my doctors don't really listen to my concerns. I think it might be time to change doctors. Are you awake during the cyro? Does it hurt during and after?

Thanks again girls and good luck Cocoeyes--my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm wondering why your doctor is so big on not performing the cyrosurgery for you. But no, I stayed awake and it was painless! Afterwards I was expecting major discharge but it only lasted for 1-week. I think you should switch doctors.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

I had an abnormal pap reading mild dysplasia. After I delievered my baby my pap came back high grade but nobody called me to tell me that!!! I called them back to see if it was still abnormal and thats when I found out. The same office also failed to tell me I had bacterial vaginosis when I was first pregnant so that made me mad too. Anwyas they did the colposcopy and it was totally normal. They couldn't find a single thing to biopsy. So I had the cyrosurgery done which was no big deal to me. I found it a little uncomfortable but not really painful. Thats what solved the abnormal paps for now.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:00 AM   #8
    ttravers
    (female)

ttravers HB User

Yeah I have noticed a difference in my sex drive. But I have had 2 leeps and 1 laser so far. I'm having my 2nd laser in one week. Plus...if you are at all uncomfortable...you will not want it. For me it was painful at first...and I knew that so I didn't want to do it. You should get paps done every 3 months. And I don't why they haven't done surgery yet? Makes no sense. And if they've taken 3 biopsies there is obviously something there that they need to go in and remove. I would DEFINATELY get a second opinion. Hell, I got 4 of 'em. But I'm still at square one. I've had 4 surgeries in one year...and my problem won't go away...not I'm scared that my chances of having a child are getting slimmer and slimmer. But if I were you...I would be getting more opinions and also ask a lot of questions like why aren't they being serious about your condition? Why aren't they taking any action other than colpos? Get a different doc. Asap. Don't let this go...b/c within one blink of an eye...it can all change into something worse (cancer). Hope this helps.

Closed Thread