It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical pap 6 yrs after cervical cancer need insight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
    Muddie
    (female)

Muddie HB User
    Question Atypical pap 6 yrs after cervical cancer need insight

Hi all, just found message boards and would love someone to share with. 43 yr old mother of three awesome teens living in NY along the Canadian border.
    6 yrs ago I had a hysterectomy alone as treatment for invasive cervical cancer. Yesterday my pap results returned as atypical squamous cell. Now what? I am waiting for a referrel for further information/treatment. My mother is surviving vulvar cancer (3 yrs now). I know that no one has the all the answers, but I just have a ton of questions with no real facts right now to base them on.
    My cancer was discovered after a late period and then continual bleeding. I went right in for a colposcopy. I was told that I had lesions visible to the naked eye that were very suspicious. From there I had a cone done which confirmed the cancer. Then I went through two leep procedures and the margins were still not clear. Having no medical insurance and being a disabled veteran, I had no option but to use the veterans medical services. After arguing for 6 months, they finally agreed that I could have a hysterectomy.
    I was not given a stage, my initial diagnosis was micro invasive. After all the cutting, it became pretty clear that there was nothing micro about it. I always kept the fear in the back of my mind that cutting through cancer cells so many times can easily dislodge some malignant cells into the blood stream and reorganize else where.
    Now my fears are at an all time high again. Back then I was prepared to deal with the worst of whatever came along and I felt pretty secure when they told me that it appeared that the cancer was contained to the uterus. No further treatment was dictated. Now I just feel so blindsided, I became complacent and I am not ready to deal with what could come of this. My husband has convinced himself that an abnormal pap after my history is common place. I don't think he is right and I don't want to kid myself?
    Now I just need a sounding board, some one with been there experience to talk to. Thank you for reading through my novella, I hope to hear from someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Atypical pap 6 yrs after cervical cancer need insight

An atypical squamous cell (ASCUS) result isn't anything to get too worried about. ASCUS results are usually caused by non-cancerous conditions, such as bacterial infections or inflammation of any kind. All kinds of harmless things can cause such a result. If I were you, I wouldn't get too worried unless you have a follow up that shows more significant changes.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
    synergybound
    (female)

synergybound HB User

Muddie,
    I am sorry to hear after 6 years you have been blindsided with an abnormal pap. I am sure you will receive additional responses from women who have experienced simular results. Just thought I'd let you know I empathize with your feelings/fears. I was not familiar with Micro Invasive Carcinoma so I did so research. Micro Invasive Cervical Cancer is cancer cells shown below the epithelium of the cervix into the deeper tissues.

6 Years ago did you have lymp nodes checked? After hysterectomy did you have radiation treatment?

Found a website that cronicals mamagement of micro-invasive carcinoma:

http://www.gfmer.ch/Medical_education_En/Cameroon/Pdf/Cervical_cancer.pdf

Have had experience with vet hospitals some good; some not so good. If you are in a position to get a second opinion, it may be prudent to exercise that option.

Let us know what your doc recommends given abnormal pap. We are with you and send you strength to see this through to positive results so you can focus your engery on those three awesome teens.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
    freesoul
    (female)

freesoul HB User

Muddie, So sorry to read you had an ASCUS pap.My thought's are with you that everything will be fine.I know it's hard not to worry,especially with what you have gone through allready.Please keep us posted on how thing's turn out.And blessing's to your mother as well,that she stay's well.Take care.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
    Muddie
    (female)

Muddie HB User

Just want to say thank you for the responses I have received so far, it is helpful to know that there is support out there. The words of encouragment are appreciated.

My next appt is this coming Tuesday. I will have another pap or biopsy to confirm the results and get referred out from there.

To answer a few questions. Unfortunately, my lymph nodes were never checked, nor were any scans done. Also, I didn't receive any radiation therapy, which actually appears as a plus right now. I've done some research and learned that if needed, I am a candidate for radiation therapy because I did not have it in the past.

I will return with any new information when I learn of it.

Again, thank you all who have taken the time to read my postings, especially to those who left a reply for me

Old 11-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
    teaspoon
    (female)

teaspoon HB User

Muddie-

I am just reading everything that you wrote and we are in the same boat. I had cervical cancer at 24, I had my cervix and uterus removed. I had two paps in a row 10 years later that were bad so I opted for laser surgery. Now I have another bad pap 2 years later and what appears to be possible vulva cancer on top of it all. I out there pounding the pavement so that someone will take a look at my charts. I need a second opinion. How did things go with you? Take care, Regards, Julie. :0)

Closed Thread