It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LEEP - problems with later pregnancy, folate deficiency, cost??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
    libelula
    (female)

libelula HB User
    LEEP - problems with later pregnancy, folate deficiency, cost??

Hi all,

Having had a leep for CINIII in 98, after 6 yrs of normal paps, I just had my annual smear, and ended up with a biopsy due to my very unhealthly looking cervix. The results came back 'severe dysplasia' and I'm scheduled for another LEEP in two weeks.

I am 30, sporty and non-smoker and am surprised how suddenly my cervix has changed from completely healthy to dreadful in 1 year. (I have low folate and B12 and suspect it may be related...). My biggest fear is that I am planning to start trying for a family next year and am worried about continuely having more of my cervix removed. Has anyone had problems with getting pregnant, miscarriage etc from a Leep?

Also I an an expat living in the remote jungles of Sth America and so am having the leep at the gyno i recently visited in Aruba, so my health management is all over the place (though i couldn't have a nicer place for a quiet weekend of recovery ). He is charging US$800 for the procedure - what do people usually pay for this???

Thanks,
    Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
    kitkatD
    (female)

kitkatD HB User
    Re: LEEP - problems with later pregnancy, folate deficiency, cost??

Not sure how much it costs since my insurance covered it. Sorry I can't be more help. I do know plenty of women get pregnant with no problems after a LEEP, so given your good health other than the bad cervix, I would guess your chances of conceiving are good. Hope all goes well!

Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
    cincbcat
    (female)

cincbcat HB User
    Re: LEEP - problems with later pregnancy, folate deficiency, cost??

I think the last time I looked at my insurance EOB, the procedure was around $1000 or so. I have had two LEEP's for HGSIL over a year and a half period of time, and am now pregnant which is why I'm responding. My Dr. did tell me that there might be concern over the amount of cervical tissue he had removed during both procedures. While he didn't tell me there would be trouble conceiving, he did tell me to prepare for a cerclage (cervical stitch) once I was pregnant. When I got pregnant, he gave me an ultrasound at week 8.5 and measured my cervix. At week 13 he did another ultrasound and measured my cervix, and it had changed dramatically in that short period of time. It was shortening and starting to "funnel". I immediately had the operation to place the cerclage, and things have been fine since then. I'm now 20 weeks, and am limited to light activity, but not on bedrest. There is hope of carrying a child after the procedures...just talk to your Dr. frequently about your concerns and ask about an early ultrasound once you do get pregnant. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread