It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Cervical biopsies, elevated FSH and only 33! HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
    gav_73
    Veteran
    (female)

gav_73 HB User
    Cervical biopsies, elevated FSH and only 33! HELP!

#36 06-23-2006, 02:36 PM
    gav_73
    Newbie (female) Join Date: Jun 2006

Re: HPV Positive Next is Colposcopy and Biopsy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear friends,

I will try to keep it short. Like most of you, I recently received word from my OBGYN that I had an abnormal atypical pap with a positive reaction for high-risk HPV (I think, does that sound right--never had an abnormal pap nor positive reaction to HPV). Anyway, Wednesday of this week I underwent a colposcopy, which in turn led to her taking several external cervical biopsies as well as a curette (or an internal cervical biopsy, cannot remember the acronym).

Now, it's the waiting game with which all of you are so familiar.

My question is that I am still unclear as to what exactly I should expect to hear from the results of the biopsy, even after all of the research as well as after having read all of your very helpful posts on the subject.

At first I assumed that I could still expect a biopsy result of "normal," but now I'm not so sure. I think I may be confusing a normal colposcopy result with a normal biopsy result. Now it is my understanding that if my colposcopy was normal, she wouldn't have taken the biopsies. During the colposcopy, the doctor said she observed abnormal cells at which time she proceeded to take the biopsies. Therefore, wouldn't that in and of itself confirm dysplasia, and the biopsies were taken to confirm the level of severity? Does that mean that now I'm waiting to see what level of severity to which the dysplasia has progressed?

I am very confused and I am trying to prepare myself for the results on Monday. I just don't want to spend the weekend expecting a normal result when in fact the results I am waiting for might alarm me even more than I already am.

This is a very stressful time, as all of you know, so please forgive my ignorance in light of all the information you have already so kindly provided to this board. I am a newlywed (first anniversary last Monday), and we do not have any kids. I am only 33. Recently, I received news that I may be in the midst of peri-menopause, which I was both surprised and not surprised to hear due to some of the symptoms I've been experiencing over the past year or so. I am currently scheduled to retake the FSH and estrogen blood tests again next month.

Now this.

I cannot express the level of frustration I am feeling because of these results and my confusion as to what I can and should expect as far as having children or my potential for possibly being diagnosed with pre- or confirmed cervical cancer. I am probably worrying for nothing, but I am unable to stop. All of these results came in a very short period of time. I am in the middle of graduate school, we had been planning to get pregnant at the end of the year. Now, I don't know what's going to happen.

Any advice, help, support is greatly appreciated. I just want to be prepared for Monday's results, whatever they may be. Otherwise, I could go crazy in the interim with my worrisome speculation.

Thanks!!

PS--I have also posted my concerns to another thread but was afraid it had been abandoned...

Last edited by gav_73; 06-23-2006 at 01:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Cervical biopsies, elevated FSH and only 33! HELP!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gav_73
    curette (cannot remember the acronym).
    ECC: endocervical curretage.

Quote:
    Therefore, wouldn't that in and of itself confirm dysplasia, and the biopsies were taken to confirm the level of severity? Does that mean that now I'm waiting to see what level of severity to which the dysplasia has progressed?
    Basically, yes. It's highly likely that you have dysplasia, especially if you have high risk HPV. Abnormal cells can appear that aren't due to dysplasia. My mother, for example, had 3 biopsies taken and it turned out she just had a simple bacterial infection (cervicitis). But dysplasia's the likely cause.

The perimenopause situation will affect your ability to bear children more than dysplasia will. Dysplasia only affects your ability to carry children in rare cases. It's also unlikely that you have cancer. Cervical cancer develops slowly enough that there's usually time to catch it. There are exceptions to every rule, but this is the case in general.

If you do have dysplasia, you needn't panic. There are several simple procedures for removing the abnormal cells with an 80-90% cure rate. The biopsy results will tell you how severe your dysplasia is, and that will determine whether you need treatment or not.

Last edited by Timber; 06-23-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
    gav_73
    Veteran
    (female)

gav_73 HB User

Thank you so much, Timber. I've read hundreds of these posts now and I see how much effort you put into this Website helping others. Your replies are truly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User

Hi gav, welcome

Just wanted you to know that the cervical biopsies do not necessarily mean dysplasia. Metaplasia can also cause cells to turn up "white" on the when the vinegar solution is applied. I had this happen after my first leep. At my first follow up, my gyn said he saw some suspicious cells near the cervical canal and took biopsies and an ECC. All came back negative for dysplasia. Metaplasia is a BENIGN process and is NOT a precursor to dysplasia.

Even if the biopsies come back dysplasia, likely you've caught it early and you won't require an extensive treatment. Good luck!

Karen

Old 06-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
    gav_73
    Veteran
    (female)

gav_73 HB User

Thanks, Karen. I will let you both know what happens. I sure appreciate the support offered on this board; it's wonderful. I have been very afraid and felt like a cry baby ready for a pity party; however, I now realize that my reaction is pretty typical.

Can either of you tell me the worst case scenario (excluding cancer, which seems pretty rare in my case)? Should I be prepared for a LEEP next? If so, what sort of healing time does that procedure require? I am working as a full-time intern and commuting about 160 miles round trip, 2 to 3 days a week to school and I am concerned about some of the replies I've read on here that mention a 4 to 6 week down time after some types of procedures. I am prepared to do what it takes, but like most of us, I will need to make arrangements and plan ahead.

Thanks again.

Last edited by gav_73; 06-24-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

The most likely scenarios are these: either you have mild dysplasia and they just want to watch and wait by doing repeat Paps to be sure it doesn't progress, or you have moderate/severe dysplasia and they want to treat you. LEEP is the most common treatment although there are some other methods.

You'd most likely be back at work within one or two days after your LEEP. It's true that your cervix is healing for 4-6 weeks, but that only means that you can't have intercourse or use tampons. You feel like yourself again quickly. I could have gone to work the day after mine. Certainly two days after.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
    gav_73
    Veteran
    (female)

gav_73 HB User
    Re: Cervical biopsies, elevated FSH, and only 33! HELP!

Thanks again, Timber. I feel better knowing that I will probably not have to make dramatic adjustments to my school/work schedule (although some lifestyle changes are needed; particularly, more exercise and making changes in my diet). I am still a bit worried about receiving the results on Monday, but that's just me. I know so many women on here have been through it and I have read several of their posts about their experiences with these procedures and the agony of waiting for their results, and it has helped to ease my mind tremendously.

I am just the type of person who, if I have a plan in place, I can deal with pretty much whatever comes my way. I have difficulty handling surprises, however, especially bad ones.

Thank you so much for your quick replies, and as I said before, I will keep you guys posted on the outcome. I hope that by documenting my experience someone else will be helped, as you all have helped so many others with yours. It is appreciated more than you know.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
    gav_73
    Veteran
    (female)

gav_73 HB User

UPDATE: Hi all, I was just writing to let you know that I got my biopsy results back confirming mild dysplasia, which is about as good as it gets as far as biopsy results go. Therefore, I opted to have another pap in 3 mos and take it from there. This is good news

Now, it's on to the fertility issue. Let's hope the FSH levels are low.

Thank you again for the support.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User

great news, gav! Good luck with the fertility stuff, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a clear pap in 3 months

Karen

Closed Thread