It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• How were you diagnosed with ovarian/cervical cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
    christy217
    (female)

christy217 HB User
    How were you diagnosed with ovarian/cervical cancer

I am just curious to know what people's symptoms were, how they were diagnosed, etc.,

I am recently post op for colon cancer, I have a genetic mutation in my genes called HNPCC, so colon cancer is genetic for me. I have a 60% chance of developing endometrial cancer, all my paps have always been normal. I recently had a large ovarian cyst on the right side about 2 months ago. Today I am going for another pelvic u/s because I am having pain again.

Sometimes when I cough it feels like my uterus is going to fall out.

TIA for your responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: How were you diagnosed with ovarian/cervical cancer

Have your doctors been urging you to get a preventative hysterectomy? I mean, 60% is a scary statistic!

Ovarian cancer and cervical cancer are usually diagnosed in very different ways. Cervical cancer is usually suspected initially through Pap smear and then diagnosed through biopsy. Ovarian cancer is diagnosed using more invasive procedures (since the ovaries are deeper in the body than the easily accessible cervix!).

Old 06-30-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
    Sarah1976
    (female)

Sarah1976 HB User

My Cervial Cancer was diagnosed after a abnormal Pap Smear I was sent to a gyno who did a biopsy, after those results came back I had to have the LEEP procedure and it was those results that confimed the Cancer.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
    nigoe
    (female)

nigoe HB User

I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids, a large cyst, and abnormally heavy bleeding. When they sent the removed organs to the patholigists as a matter of routine, they found the cancer in one of the ovaries. But there had been no symptoms and no suspicion of cancer prior to that.

There were two schools of thought on what to do with me: do a full surgical staging to see if any cancer remained or leave everything alone since the tumor was early stage and it was gone now anyway. I (reluctantly) elected for the staging; I don't want to wonder for the rest of my life.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
    Tinman39
    (female)

Tinman39 HB User
    Talking Re: How were you diagnosed with ovarian/cervical cancer

My Primary Care Physician was inept for the first six months (I subsequently changed my PCP). I had a very small bump (navy bean size) in lower right groin. I insisted something was not right with the bump because it was too tender to be a pulled groin muscle. I went to a competent GYN who drew a CA 125. The CA 125 was 360. This GYN even made my appointment to a GYN Oncologist (female univerty teaching professor). Yes, I had ovarian cancer - Stage IIIC. Total hysterectomy, debulking, and a bowel resection (11 cm worth), then IV Chemo. I was fine for less than one year. A few days ago I had a laproscotomy procedure. A few little bumps in the abdominal cavity. The cancer does not have the blood supply needed for IV chemo, therefore IP chemo will be used. I will be going in this Wednesday for an IP Port and begin IP Chemo (intraperitoneal chemo). We have watched my CA 125s closely and now is the time for chemo. No evidence of cancer showed on any CT either! That's how small this is.

Ovarian cancer is very tricky. I never had any of the symtoms associated with ovarian cancer. No family history either.

Closed Thread