It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Pregnancy After a Cone Biopsy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
    tealdreams
    (female)

tealdreams HB User
    Pregnancy After a Cone Biopsy?

Does anyone know, or has anyone gone through a cone biopsy and still had a normal pregnancy afterward? I've been so worried of having to get a hysterectomy that I forgot to think that there still could be complications with child bearing after just a cone biopsy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
    ktbee
    (female)

ktbee HB User
    Re: Pregnancy After a Cone Biopsy?

Hi Tealdreams,

Complications with future pregnancies was my initial concern when my gyn told me that he wanted to perform a cone biopsy. He told me that there is the possibility of going into pre-term labor because the cervix may be weak, but that it's very rare. Keep in mind that I had a cold-knife conization...I imagine you'll be having a LEEP done; I think that with a cold-knife, more of the cervix is removed? I could be wrong.

My doctor told me that I may need to go on bed rest during the last couple months of pregnancy, but I can handle that. I also have cervical stenosis from my conization (it's pretty common), but I wonder if that will make natural delivery impossible. Also, I think you can have your cervix stitched closed (ouch!) to keep the little one from arriving too soon. Rest assured that there are options!

I haven't yet had a baby myself, but I've heard a ton of stories of women who have after cone biopsy

Katie

Old 08-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
    tealdreams
    (female)

tealdreams HB User

Thanks for the hope Katie!

I dont even know if it is cold knife that im getting. i will need to find that out asap. They will be taking out as much of the cervix as possible since therere is cancer present.

ouch is right! but any option is better than not being able to have children!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
    pengdent
    (female)

pengdent HB User

hi,
    i am seeing a high risk ob. i had a ckc in 1/05 for adenocarcinoma in situ. after a harrowing year and some months i became pregnant in 2/06. i am 29 weeks pregnant and let me reassure you to not worry. i am seeing the top doc in boston for high risk ob patients. i am also the biggest worry wort and being a health care professional myself i have stayed on top of obtaining elective treatments. even though most of my cervix was removed they are considering me a normal pregnancy. no cerclage, no bestrest, no elective c-section for stenosis. my ob see's a large proportion of ckc patients and such and tells me its pretty consistant. that being said i still obtain a lot of relief just by being assigned to him. hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
    tealdreams
    (female)

tealdreams HB User

Pengdent, that is so good to hear. Congratulations to you! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes just as smoothly Thanks for the encouraging story!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
    DOS1973
    (female)

DOS1973 HB User

I've had two successful deliveries after my cone biopsy in '94. My daughter was preterm, but had nothing to do with the cone biopsy.

Good luck and best wishes!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
    phoenixrising06
    (female)

phoenixrising06 HB User

I am 23 with one child and was diagnosed in january. Had 3 biopsy,leep and i am now schedualed for a cone on the 18th. I want more children but I am terrified about the possibilities of c-section due to complications. Does anyone know of someone who put off the surgery to get pregnant first. I know this seems drastic but I believe in natural childbirth unless absolutly nessesary.

Closed Thread