It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Leep/Cone Biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User
    Leep/Cone Biopsy

I had my Leep this morning. It was uncomfortable with a few instances of pain but all in all i got through it. During and after the proceedure I was talking with the dr. and at the end he told me he did a cone biopsy and made sure he burned the edges so that i would get clear margins.

Is it unusually for the dr to do a cone biopsy while doing a leep...i thought that these were two different procedures...it was done in his office and i just had a local.

Glad its over! Now I have to try and stay calm until the results come back.
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    ~Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
    ktbee
    (female)

ktbee HB User
    Re: Leep/Cone Biopsy

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad you had an okay experience with your cone biopsy and I know it's a relief to have it done.

A cone biopsy and a LEEP are the same procedure. There are different kinds of cone biopsies that can be performed: LEEP and cold-knife cone (I had the cold-knife cone...which is done with general rather than local).

I know - waiting for the results is the tough part! Just sit tight and please keep us posted on your results.

Katie

Old 09-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User

Thanks Katie
    These terms can sure be confusing...
    Thanks for letting me know that the dr. did nothing out of the ordinary today.
    Will keep you posted on the results.
    ~Lisa

Old 09-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

A cone biopsy and a LEEP aren't really the same procedure. A cone is much more extensive and you are put asleep for it. He must have been using the term loosely when he said he did a cone on you.

It is normal to cauterize the wound though.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User

Well, Timber, I'm gonna have to step up and disagree I know it doesn't happen often...

A LEEP is referred to as a cone biopsy. My pathology report says "LEEP cone biopsy". Basically there are two types of cone biopsies. The LEEP which cauterizes the tissue, and the cold knife cone which uses the scalpel. It is the interchangeable terminology that leads to lots of confusion. If they would just use one word/phrase to describe one procedure or diagnosis! Like the whole dysplasia/CIN/SIL thing...

Old 09-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User

Thanks Timber and Karen
    I thought that they were 2 different things as well, and for the cone you are put out, but after the proceedure i asked exactly what he had done and he showed me a pic and told me he did a cone biopsy. I think i should have been put out for the proceedure because it wasnt the most painless thing i have ever had. I guess i wont know for sure until i get the path report back.
    ~Lisa

Old 09-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
    scaredycat23
    Inactive
    (female)

scaredycat23 HB User

let me tell you there is a big diff between a leep and a cone, my lower half says so, i just had a cone done on wensday and im still hurting from it, i was put in the hospital for day surgery, and was in and out in 7+ hours, but theres alot of pain involved... i hope your test results come in soon,

Old 09-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User

Hey Scaredycat
    I hope my dr knew what he was doing....because i had this done in his office with just local on friday and im still not feeling very good. He has the rep for being one of the best in this area and alot of the gyno nurses from other offices go to him...so i trusted him. He said he did a cone and showed me a pic of a cervix and what he did. I just know that ive had a headache since i got home on friday, i feel warm and all i want to do is sleep, i dont know if this is related to anything of just the letdown of it being over.

Thanks for the good wishes and i will be hoping the same for you and all the others
    ~Lisa

Old 09-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User

((Lisa)) I'm sorry you are not feeling better. It does take a couple days to get back to normal - you said you feel warm, are you feverish? I too was tired after, but I attributed it to all the stress that I had been under in anticipating the procedure. It wiped me out.

I want to clarify something. I never said a LEEP and a cone biopsy were the same thing. I said there are 2 types of cone biopsy.

The LEEP cone biopsy is done with the electrocautery loop (or whatever they call it), usually as an office procedure or outpatient with a local anesthetic administered to the cervix. You should not feel pain with this procedure, and if you did it means the doctor did not administer enough anesthetic. The LEEP cone biopsy is also sometimes done under general anesthesia.

The cold knife cone biopsy is done with a scalpel, ALWAYS under general anesthesia.

I think they refer to each procedure as a cone biopsy because each procedure removes a cone-shaped chunk of tissue that can be sent for analysis by a pathologist.

((Lisa)) if you do not start feeling better by the end of the weekend, please do give your doctor a call and make sure that what you are experiencing is nothing serious.

Karen

Old 09-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User

Thanks Karen
    I will call the dr if i dont feel any better tomorrow (Mon).
    Thanks again!

Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
    sharon7270
    Inactive
    (female)

sharon7270 HB User

My doctor said that I had a cone biopsy, but then one of the ER doctors I spoke with when I hemorraged said I had a LEEP and then my oncologist said cone and LEEP, so I have to agree that they use these terms together often. I do know that I had my procedure done in the hospital under general anesthesia so it was more than likely the cone. She did cauterize, though, because she told me she made four passes with the tool to stop the bleeding (I hemorraged four days later anyway). I do not know why there is not some standard way of referring to things. I think it was Karen who said the dysplasia/CIN thing. When I spoke with the oncologist the other day I asked him why I would need to see him if I had dysplasia and not cancer. He said I did not have "invasive" cancer, but the cells were cancerous and that is why the referral to him. Then, in the same conversation, he says that we will stay on top of this so that I do not develop "true" cervical cancer. ?????? Why is it only diagnosed as "cervical" cancer when it has spread beyond the cervix????? Very confusing what goes on with this. Which would explain why we are all here trying to get questions answered. When is it exactly that they decide you have true cervical cancer and not carcinoma in situ? I have read here that it is when it has not penetrated more than 3mm...well, mine went 2.5cm and there is still dysplasia/carcinoma in situ in the little sliver of a cervix that remains. So, what exactly do I have???? What do any of us actually have???

Old 09-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User

Hi Sharon...
    I know what you mean....i tried to talk to my dr. a few days before the proceedure and he said that he was very busy and that he would talk to me on friday right before...and he did...after i signed the consent, after i was undressed and on the table and after they had me grounded...like i really could do something if i didnt like what he said... and i told him just that
    This entire "thing" has been confussing...normal paps for 20+ years....abnormal in june, hpv in june....colp in july and leep in sept. moving way to fast for me....still not sure what the heck he did but it was in his office and im not bleeding at all, is that strange? its been three days and just a little brownish discharge if i left something. I guess i shouldnt complain.
    The dr did tell me that the canal was clear no signs of anything...but i understand that can be a false neg. from what ive read so im a nervous wreck waiting for the results...which i understand can be anything from nothing to cancer...even though its supposed to take years for that to happen...
    Sorry for the long post...i guess i just needed to vent
    Im sorry the all of us are in this boat...
    Praying for everyones health and good results
    ~Lisa

Old 09-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
    Sugarhi16
    (female)

Sugarhi16 HB User

Lisa,

This is always confusing because there are so many different ways things can turn out. I agree that it seems to move very fast because the Doctors want to treat us before we've even had a chance to process what we have. If it weren't for these boards I know I would have been so lost in the medical jargon.

I wanted to reasure you that not bleeding is normal. I've had two leeps and other than my period, no bleeding at all. All I had were the brownish and coffee ground like discharge. Some people bleed and some people don't, everyone is different.

Don't be nervous about your results. Try to forget about it and relax till you get them, then take each step from there if necessary. I wish you all the best.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User

Thanks Sugar...without all of the support from you guys i would be lost. You all really make this entire process a little more bearable....
    Thanks again
    ~Lisa

Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #15
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Everyone,

I just need to ask a couple of questions - sorry to butt in...

My daughter has had a couple of abnormal paps, before. So, now she has another, they will do the next step (in office), and I do not know what it is. I am sure, they cut some of you out and send it off to test.

She said then if that is not perfect, the next step is where they freeze your lower female parts (I guess that is to kill what ever is in there?).

Could any of you tell me what these are called. And what does the freezing one do and where is the procedure done (in office or out patient).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wannabe

Closed Thread