It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• ovarian cancer symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User
    ovarian cancer symptoms?

Ok, I just scared the heck out of me. I searched ovarian cancer symptoms and have so many of them! I know that this can all just be perimenopause, but I actually CAN'T wait until next Monday for my Gyne appointment, to hopefully ease my mind! I'm just wondering if anyone with this cancer has had my symptoms---
    unexplained weight gain
    bloating
    cramping everyday in lower pelvis
    low backache
    fatigue
    spotting
    urinary frequency (My gyne did say that my bladder dropped)
    I was scared and called my gyne office yesterday because I have to take 30 days of boric acid suppositories for a yeast infection, which I NEVER had in my 50 years! And I was wondering if these suppositories were somehow cramping me and making me spot. But the nurse called back and the Dr. said no, to keep taking them. She just said we'll see you on Monday.
    I saw my Gyne on Aug. 28 and complained of bad cramps that day and he said that my ovaries felt ok. I have had cramps EVERYDAY since that day!
    I'm almost hoping that he orders an ultrasound or something? to ease my mind!
    Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
    ribbons
    (female)

ribbons HB User
    Re: ovarian cancer symptoms?

Hi elphers,

Before I was DX with ovarian cancer, my symptoms were:
    1. bloating in my lower abdomen, felt full all the time no matter how little I ate
    2. gas
    3. low backache, hip and leg pain
    4. fatigue
    5. urinary frequency - was getting up in the middle of the night 2 -3 times to urinate
    6. When I laid down I could feel something hard like a muscle in my lover ab - it grew bigger in short amount of time - felt like a cantaloupe
    7. spotting - this was last symptom before I decided to see a GYN instead of my GP
    8. And just an overall uncomfortable feeling in my stomach and pelvis area
    These are just some symptoms I remember but they didn't all come together until I had the spotting and my stomach got bigger. And even then my GYN did not think of cancer. My GYN ordered a trans vaginal ulta sound b/c she suspect a fibroid problems. The ultra sound revealed a complex cyst that my doctor believed to be benign - even afer surgery to remove two big tumors and a full hystorectomy, she believed to be benign b/c of my age. Most women DX with ovarian cancer are in their later 50's and 60's. Well, the tumors were not benign.

I don't think you should worry too much, b/c all these symtoms could be something else. BUT you should insist on a trans vaginal ultra sound when you see your doctor. Let him or her know ALL your symptoms and if they rule out the possiblity of OC b/c of your age and no cancer in your family history - tell them how horrible my DR felt when my results came back from the pathologist and my tumors were a grade 3.

Let us know how everything turns out. Best wishes to you.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User

Ribbons,
    Thanks for the reply! I hope that you are doing well now.
    I was just wondering how old you were when you had the oc tumors? I will be 50 in Nov.
    I will see what my Gyne says tomorrow, but I also will suggest the ultrasound, at least for piece of mind!
    He had me quit taking Vesicare for my bladder, thinking that it was causing my cramping. I have to say that the cramps are a bit lessened, but I still have them everyday, so ?
    The spotting has stopped for now too, but I'm still concerned!
    I still have all of the other symptoms that I mentioned earlier, so we will see.................
    Thanks again!
    elphers

Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
    ribbons
    (female)

ribbons HB User

elphers,

I am doing fine right now, thank you. I finished up 6 rounds of Chemo treatments last March and my hair is growing back. I am currently in remmission and I go back for a check up and tests next month. I had just turned 42 when I was DX.

Be sure to request the trans vaginal ultra sound, not the regular ultra sound. There is also a blood test called CA125 that they can check, but this test is not reliable for detection of ovarian cancer, only real value currently is if you do end up with OC it serves as a tumor marker. The only way to know for sure if you have ovarian cancer is by having surgery and biopsy. So if the ultra sound reveals a cyst you doctor may want to set you up for surgery to remove it. I had two, but only one showed on the ultra sound. The 2nd tumor was too big to make out during the ultra sound, the doctors thought the one tumor they could make out was pushing my organs so far to the left side that that was the reason they could not make out my left ovary. So intially I was set up for removal of a complex cyst and a partial hystorectomy. When I awoke from surgery, I had under gone a full hystorectomy and removal of the two tumors. One was softball sized and the other was the size of a football.

Because I was not treated as a cancer patient during surgery, there were other biopsies that were not performed and because of this I was facing another surgery after chemo. Thank goodness my doctor decided I did not need the 2nd look surgery. If I had to go thru it again I would have requested an Oncolygist to be present or I would have made an appointment with a gyn oncolygist for a second opion prior to surgery. Hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User

Ribbons and all,
    I had my Gyne appointment today. He doesn't know why I have this cramping, and never really made notice of the other symptoms i told him I have. He prescribed Bentyl for me to take 3 times a day. It is for colon spasms and irritable bowel.
    I showed him where my pain was, and he said that it isn't my ovaries, but where my colon is.
    I already have an appointment on Weds. with my Gastro Dr. so I will mention this cramping to him.
    My Gyne said to call him in 3 days if this medicine doesn't help.
    I feel somewhat better because I don't have to worry about ovarian cancer anymore!

Old 09-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #6
    Hafford07
    (female)

Hafford07 HB User
    Unhappy Re: ovarian cancer symptoms?

For the past year and a half Ive had all of the same symptoms other than the spotting. I went for surgery in June 06 because my doctor found a cyst, Ive had two of them burst, I pass out and could call for help. I am in constant pain all the time and nothing I do will make it go away. My doctor was confused becasue of where my pain is it could be many differant thing. I have had a blood culture done but havent go the results back yet, I also have to go for a Colonoscopy because of my family history. I am only 20 years old but Im so tired all the time and in so much pain that its hard for me to even play or pick up my son. Thats really what bothers me the most. I just dont know what to do, Ive had so many ultrasounds and ive had cyst after cyst, the doctor told me that they come and go all the time but why am I in so much pain and sick all the time, he wanted me to wait until December for another ultra sound, I waited and waited put it off long enough because I cant take it anymore. I went to another doctor thats trying to help figure out whats going on. I have a CT tomarrow to help determine what it possibaly could be.
    If any one could give me some advice then please do so I need all the advice and support that I can. I am at the last resort they have tryed everything so far and I just want to feel normal again. Please help me!!!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
    sharon7270
    Inactive
    (female)

sharon7270 HB User

I am not sure why you are so easily accepting the no cancer diagnosis because he said so. My Grandma died in July from ovarian cancer after complaining of the sick/full feeling, losing much weight and constant fatique...they kept dismissing her. Her cancer had spread to the liver, stomach and bone...but she died of dehydration and starvation. Would it kill the man to do an ultrasound and a CA125 screen? I have irritable bowel...it does not make me tired nor does it cause me to gain weight and it doesn't give me a feeling of fullness or spotting...you said you are 50 so the spotting may have something to do with your stage in life, but the rest doesn't fit with menopause....I'd get another opinion!!

Sharon

Old 09-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
    elphers
    (female)

elphers HB User

Sharon,
    Thanks for the reply! I see you're from Pittburgh! I'm from Hermitage, Pa about an hour north of you!
    Some of the girls at work also wondered why my gyne didn't order an ultrasound! He did dismiss me and my symptoms, but he is VERY anxious to do my surgery for my dropped bladder and yesterday he even mentioned "taking it all out". I think that he was referring to a hysterectomy! Believe me, I WILL get a second opinion on that! (I've gone to him for 24 years, but ...............) I truthfully would have felt relieved if I did have the ultrasound and blood test for my piece of mind!
    I'm going to see what my gastro says tomorrow about my cramps in the "colon area". I thought that it (the cramps)was more in my lower pelvis, but not according to my gyne.
    Sorry about your grandma.
    Take care,
    elphers (Mary)

Closed Thread