It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Ascus and colpo... newbie :)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #1
    mannabsn
    Inactive
    (female)

mannabsn HB User
    Question Ascus and colpo... newbie :)

Just looking for some advice... I know that no one here is a medical professional and that I should seek the services of one... blah, blah, blah. [deleted]

I've been completely non-compliant. Had a ASCUS pap back in 2002. FINALLY went back for a repeat pap last month and it came back ASCUS, too.

Doc suggested a colpo and biopsy since I'd had a previous abnormal pap. Ouch! That hurt! All those websites that say it doesn't are full of BS! Or maybe I'm just a wimp.

I'm awaiting my biopsy results - he took two samples and then also one from inside the cervix - is that an ECC?

At the time I was a little too intimidated (naked? LOL) to ask for much detail, so after he went out of the room I read his notes. On there he had written "Mosaic." I've tried to find out about mosaic as it relates to pap/cervical changes with no luck. Anyone know what this means?

Sorry for a dumb question and thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 10-21-2006 at 07:02 AM. Reason: This board is for peer sharing only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
    niarules
    (female)

niarules HB User
    Re: Ascus and colpo... newbie :)

You wrote:
    “On there he had written "Mosaic." I've tried to find out about mosaic as it relates to pap/cervical changes with no luck”

“Mosaic” is a reference to your cervix’s vascular pattern. At this point, it doesn’t mean good or bad; only atypical.

So do not go crazy before you get your biopsy results like I did

Like you, I’m a nosy kind of chic and peeked into my MD’s colpo findings, so I can educate yourself. I applaud you for reading and research.

If you want more about colpo findings and vascular patterns, here is a site that briefly explains:

[url]http://oncolink.upenn.***/types/article.cfm?c=6&s=17&ss=131&id=6029[/url]

If this makes you feel better, I also had one abnormal vessel at 9 o’clock, even visible to naked eye, on my cervix (branch pattern, as opposed to mosaic). Abnormal vascularity is never good, but by itself it means nothing unless combined with other findings.

Mine turned out to be just that, atypical vessel, no more. My biopsy results showed CIN II and III with glandular involvement…. My LEEP results were CIN II only, glands ok, margins clear (hooray!!!) so don’t fret.

Oh yeah – ECC is the “inside” of transformation zone (endo-cerviceal canal). In the 2 weeks waiting for my LEEP, I read so mych about dysplasia I though 1) my head would explode and 2) I can actually perform colpo myself.

Just kidding! Don’t worry, your results will be in soon. Your PAP results are nothing to worry about - ASCUS (cell of undetermined significance could be caused by simple stuff like bacterial infections) and are not necessairy related to cervical dyspasia.

Closed Thread