It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• So I'm going for a Cold Knife Cone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
    SippyCup
    (female)

SippyCup HB User
    So I'm going for a Cold Knife Cone

The margins were not clear on my LEEP of 10/10, and my doctor is concerned that there is still CIS in the EC canal. Soooo... she's planning to schedule the cone for next week. Any people with thoughts to share on the procedure? I just hope so, so much, that my margins are clear after the cone. As you all know, this is such a nightmare. I know there are people going through far worse things on this borad, and my heart goes out to all of you. I don't mean to be a complainer, since I know my issue is not nearly as bad, but I'm still terrified! Anyway, if you have thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
    Lauren55
    (female)

Lauren55 HB User
    Re: So I'm going for a Cold Knife Cone

I think the cold knife cone will work well in your situation. I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in-situ and had a cone (laser) done last week. The first oncologist recommended a cold knife cone but when I went to the second oncologist he recomended a conization by laser. The doctor said that there would be less bleading with the laser and it seems to work well on the younger women (I am 26). I have also read that with a cold knife cone you can read the margins easier. The procedure is not bad, I took 3 days off from work and did not need pain medicine. Good luck to you and I hope your margins are clear!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
    jumpinhorse
    (female)

jumpinhorse HB User

I have had a cone surgery too. The procedure itself was not bad at all. I had spotting and cramping after the surgery, like a bad period, but nothing too major. I even rode my horse three weeks later to the horror of my doctor. (Shame on me) I started spotting again after that so I didn't ride again for quite some time. Because everything inside was healing, I develpoed a bit of cervicitis (sp?) which was no biggie, just more vaginal discharge than normal. So, I was prescribed some cream. I wish you clear margins and a quick recovery. I'm sure you will find the 'worrying' is the worst part.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
    SippyCup
    (female)

SippyCup HB User

Hmmm... when I met with the doctor on Tuesday, she said she'd like to get the CKC done asap. She and I talked about trying to do it next week. Today her schedule lady called and said she can't fit me in until early next MONTH! Should I be worried about having the dysplastic cells in me for that much longer? The doc seemed to think that my disease was "aggressive" and "fast". And although I did have a LEEP a month ago, the margins were not clear and the doctor seemed to think it was critical to go in again and take out more of the cervix to ensure they were removed (both ecto and endo cervix has involved margins). Yikes! Should I make a stink and insist on getting the CKC sooner??

Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
    Lauren55
    (female)

Lauren55 HB User

Waiting is the hardest part! I had my first bad pap in June... and I just had my cone biopsy done 10 days ago! It took me a long time to find the right oncologist (I was jumping from doctor to doctor) but when I met with the last doctor I insisted that he do the surgery asap.. and he did the surgery the following week. If I were you I would insist the doctor preform the ckc asap. Good luck to you and I hope you get clear margins like I did!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lauren55 For This Useful Post:
    Lacalva (09-21-2012)
    Old 11-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
    trista121985
    (female)

trista121985 HB User

I have had the so called "cold knife cone biopsy" I would be a liar if I said it wasn't that bad; however I was so only 16 years old at the time. What I want you to know is that it is not nearly as bad as you may invision it.I had no clue about what was going on when I went and had the procedure, this made it a lot worse. When I went to have the biopsy done I was horrified. Per the below replies, it is like you just are having your period. You will bleed for a few days. I never experienced cramping, however I felt exhausted. The cold knife procedure was to further test my cervical tissue, these results took around ten business days for results. My Dr. advised I had then needed the LEEP laser procedure, which I had two weeks later after my visit. It has been about three years since I had these procedures, One thing I would want others to know is not to be intimated if you must go back and have a look again because tests are still comming back abnormal. I was so scared to go back after these procedures, that I never followed up with the dr after surgery until two months ago. My results however did come back normal this last time. The only long term effects you will have is scaring, which for me cause a slight discomfort when I am about to start on my period. You are doing the intelligent thing by doing some research before you go under the procedure, Once again it will not be as bad as you think :-) I wish you the best of luck and I will keep you in my prayers. The great thing about these boards is it helps women like us communicate experiences to others. :-)

Old 11-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
    megan29SD
    (female)

megan29SD HB User

I had the cold knife biopsy yesterday, and it was not nearly as bad as I anticipated. I was sooo scared and unsure of what the recovery would be like...but I think it is mostly emotional rather than physical stress.

I slept when I got home, took some pain pills and ate lots of comfort foods! I feel much better today, just a dull ache on my left side, no bleeding, minor discharge, and I still feel sleepy. I find out the results next week (hopefully).

I strongly recommend that you have a few good friends/family take care of you and let them pamper you for a few days...it makes a world of difference. I wish you the best of luck, stay hopeful and keep yourself distracted with something fun (I actually took up sewing a few weeks ago!)

thank you to everyone on this message board, it has been the most helpful to know that feeling scared is normal.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
    meg3307
    (female)

meg3307 HB User

Thank you to all of you for your posts! I was just diagnosed yesterday with Adenocarcinoma in situ, after a bad pap and then a colpo & ECC that both showed bad cells. I'm having my cold knife cone in 3 weeks, and I'm so scared about all of this. I've had normal paps since I was 15, and now at 27 this is such a shock. Me and my husband were planning to try to have our first baby soon, so I'm hoping that the cone biopsy doesn't show positive margins. I've been searching the internet for more info on all of this and I've talked to family and friends, but nobody really understands what I'm going through. It is very comforting to read about all of your situations and know that people have gone through this and moved on to have kids and be healthy. My thoughts are with all of you - I know how scary this is to go through!

Thank you - Meghann

Closed Thread