It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Question about the Cold Knife Cone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
    KLiz112
    (female)

KLiz112 HB User
    Question about the Cold Knife Cone

Hi everyone,
    I have CIN II-III and have had 2 unsuccessul LEEPS. I am most likely going to have the cold knife cone done next month. I am wondering for those who had this if you were given general anethesia. I was given local for the LEEPS and it was done in my OB-GYN's office. Is the Cone any different? I am now treating with a gyn-oncologist and this time around I would rather be given general anethesia for the procedure if that's an option. Is this more of an extensive procedure compared to the LEEP? Is the recovery time any different?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User
    Re: Question about the Cold Knife Cone

Hi there,

Sorry you are having so many problems with the CIN coming back. My understanding is a cold knife cone is always done under general, and is outpatient surgery. I think there are a few more restrictions such as not lifting for a period of time following the surgery. There are several posts on this board about cones, if you do a search of the board, you should be able to find more information. Good that you are being followed by a gyn-onc. They really are the experts when it comes to this stuff.

Hope this helps a bit.

Karen

Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
    ktbee
    (female)

ktbee HB User

Hi,

I've never had a LEEP, but I did have a cold-knife cone last May. You will be under general and Karen's right about the lifting restrictions. You'll probably feel pretty drowsy when you wake up (as the meds will still be in effect), and I personally wasn't in much pain at all. I took some vicodin for the first couple days following surgery and just made sure to rest alot and not overexert myself. I recommend that you stay in and watch some movies or read some books for a day or two.

I had my cone on a Friday, and I was feeling ready to face the world by Monday. Your doctor will probably advise that you don't do any running or heavy exercise for about 6 weeks (and no intercourse). Your cervix will need about 6 good weeks to heal. And don't panic if you have some bleeding a week or two after the cone; it was explained to me that this is just the scabs shedding...or it could be the stitches falling off. In either case, I felt no pain.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions before or after the cone.

I know you'll be happy when it's over! The waiting is the toughest

Take care!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I had a cold knife cone Nov 30 and it was an outpatient surgery, but done under general anaesthesia, so there was no pain to be felt during the procedure. I stayed in the hospital for a few hours afterward, I guess to make sure my blood pressure and other stats were okay. I was also given a few days worth of pain killers. I did have alot of cramping that felt like my menstrual cramps & Ibuprofen worked better for that for me. I had mine done on a Thursday, was excused from work Friday & returned to work Monday. The worst thing about it for me was not being able to use tampons for 6 weeks. The bleeding afterwards was annoying. At first it was just light discharge for about 2 weeks, then I guess I got my regular period and boy was that a doozy & very heavy.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User

My mom had this done about two years ago. They gave her general anthesia at first to calm here down and then they will put you to sleep. She is the worlds worst with needles and surgery in all of her 5 foot 1 glory! The hardest part of the whole thing was just waiting to have it done. She cramped a few weeks, and had some bleeding - which is normal I think they said. If she can do this - ( she faints when they draw MY blood!) You can do it! It's such a simple procedure! Outpatient, she was up and taking care of our farm in two days. ( I don't recommend that - but you can't stop her!) You will get an iv. It sounds much worse than it actually is - and just think- once you get it done, you'll feel like a giant weight has came off your shoulders! In my prayers! Best wishes!

Oh and remember - it's the times you feel the most alone - that God is closest to you!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

I had the leep and the cone done at the same time under general in outpatient. I had to couple hours after to be monitored. It sounds a lot worse than it really is.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
    Aryes517
    (female)

Aryes517 HB User

Im nervous as well about the cone..it will be my first surgery. I did have the leep in the drs. office and other than being uncomfortable it wasnt that bad.

Do you have to do anything special before the proceedure or is it just like the leep you show up and then just go from there?

Thanks
    ~Lisa

Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

I showed up, they put me in a gown and took my vitals. They gave me a pill before they wheeled me in. I barely remember having a mask put over my face and the next thing I remember was waking up. The worst part after was the dry throat from the breathing tube they used. They made me eat toast before they would let me go home and it was horrible trying to choke it down lol! Even the bleeding after the fact wasn't too bad.

I know it is easy to say, but try not to worry. Best of luck with yours!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
    Aryes517
    (female)

Aryes517 HB User

Thanks Happymom!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
    SippyCup
    (female)

SippyCup HB User

Hi!

I had my CKC in December. I was terrified. I got there in the early morning, they took my vitals, I lay around in a lovely hospital gown in a bed behind a curtain for a while. Then my doctor came to speak with me, and then when she left the nurses came to wheel me into the OR. At that point I told them I was really anxious, and one said, "Don't worry! We're going to give you something for that!" Next thing I know, I feel better than I ever have before in my life! I have no idea what it was, but it was pretty relaxing, to say the least. That feeling lasted all of 2-3 minutes, then I was out cold. Next thing I remember was waking up and babbling about something to the nurse. I was home before noon, and I can't tell you how GREAT it felt to have it over. I seriously felt wonderful that it was done.

I had mine done on a Friday, and I took it easy the whole weekend. I was exhausted. I think part of that (maybe a lot of it) was emotional. I'd really freaked out about it, and once it was over, I was just drained. But in a good way. I cramped a bit, took ibuprofen for two-three days, and just hung out reading magazines in bed and having my husband and kids wait on me. It was actually pretty nice!

Please don't worry too much. It'll be easy, and once you're done with it you'll feel like a huge weight is off your shoulders.

Good luck!!

Oh--the biggest surprise for me was that at first I didn't have much bleeding, but at about two weeks post-op I suddenly started bleeding a LOT. Like soaking a pad in less than an hour. I had my doctor's appointment anyway the morning after that bleeding started, so when I went in and explained it, she said it was quite normal at 2 weeks post-op to have a sudden increase in bleeding. She said that the blood vessels take that long to heal (or something like that) and that lots of women experience it. Anyway, don't be surprised if 2-weeks after you bleed a lot for a few hours.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
    txchixsrule
    (female)

txchixsrule HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Question about the Cold Knife Cone

I had my CKC in January of this yr and everything went fine. It was done our patient, but I was given an IV with fluids. Then the nurse came in and put something in my IV and I was out in about 2min. I woke up to my DH sitting next to me and telling me everything went fine. I do not remember my GYN coming in and talking to me after it was over though! As soon as I woke up and got my bearings, they let me go to the rest room and then I got dressed and left. I think I recovered a total of about 2- 21/2 hours or so. I was ok that night….the next morning I had some pretty good cramps going on! I also was given Vicodin for the pain. However, I seemed to have more yucky ness from that than the pain and bleeding. I wasn’t really hungry so I didn’t eat when I was taking it and got pretty sick w/ it!
    All and all, it wasn’t a bad experience or anything like that. Everything was fine. I was due for a check up on the 28th of February, but couldn’t make that one. So going back in a few and get everything checked out again.
    Good luck w/ your CKC….I’m sure everything will work our GREAT for you!!!!!

La Donna!!

Closed Thread