It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• colposcopy affect your period?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
    lam2703
    (female)

lam2703 HB User
    colposcopy affect your period?

I had my second colposcopy on Jan. 8th and the result was moderate dysplaysia. At that time I scheduled my first LEEP procedure for today (Feb. 20th).

I know they schedule the LEEP around your period. My period was due on Feb. 7th but it never came. I didn't think anything of it...for one, I'm on estrostep and in the past there had been a few months here and there where I didn't get my period. This hasn't happened recenly but I just thought...hmm! And secondly, I barely had sex since I waited 3+ weeks after the colposcopy.

Now yesterday I had very little spotting. I thought about calling my dr. but held off thinking it would go away. This morning I woke up and I still had the spotting but I mean it was ever so light.

45 minutes before my schedule LEEP this morning I called my dr. just to see what the recommendation was and of course they asked me to reschedule. In the mean time, the scheduling nurse asked that I take a pregnancy test to rule out the chance that I may be pregnant.

Again, I highly doubt the spotting is the result of a pregnancy. My husband feels the same way. Is it possible that the colposcopy could have delayed my period? I usually always regular except for those handful of times in the past when I was first put on estrostep.

I'm was so upset earlier too and I know there's nothing I can do about it. It's just that I took off from work today, was all in the mindset to have this procedure done, and I'm just really anxious! You may remember my posts regarding wanting to have a baby once this is all taken care of. It just stinks that I have to wait 2 weeks but I guess that the least of my problems right?!

One more thing...my leep is rescheduled for Mar. 6th and that's the day before I'm due to get my period again, of course, if it goes back to my normal schedule. What if this happens all over again!

Any insights would be appreciated!

Last edited by lam2703; 02-20-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
    msremi
    (female)

msremi HB User
    Re: colposcopy effect your period?

After my first colposcopy, my period was 10 days late. I think the anxiety of the results delayed it. It did not have this problem with my second colposcopy. My cycle was right on time.

As for scheduling the LEEP at a time when your period is due--I wouldn't recommend it. My period was due right about the time my LEEP was scheduled. It started the morning of the procedure. I had some bleeding which got heavier and by 36 hours post procedure, I hemorrhaged and needed emergency repair surgery. I think because my period started, it was initially difficult to determine if this was normal or not. My doctor was informed of the possibility my period was due about then, but she still scheduled the procedure.

I hope this helps. Having that second surgery was the worst!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
    lam2703
    (female)

lam2703 HB User
    Re: colposcopy effect your period?

Thanks for your response.

I was thankful that they rescheduled for fear of that. (I have read some posts about that happening.)

Although, now my leep is rescheduled for mar. 6th and if my period goes back to it's normal schedule I'm due for it on wed. mar. 7th? Is this too close to the leep procedure? I worry about complications once my period starts.

I think I'm going to call my dr. to see if they can squeeze me in next Tues. (they only do them on Tues. mornings) that way I know I will be period free. It's just hard because my period being late this time around is messing up everything....I'm not sure when to expect it next month!

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
    msremi
    (female)

msremi HB User
    Re: colposcopy affect your period?

Iam2703,

I realize you probably want to get the LEEP scheduled asap. Keep in mind that what happened to me is very unusual. Most women don't have complication so severe. I think if I had this done at a different time in my cycle, I probably would have recognized something was wrong the day I had the procedure and the fix would not have been as drastic.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Closed Thread