It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Enlarged Ovary and Three Endometriomas

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
    AngieNZ
    (female)

AngieNZ HB User
    Question Enlarged Ovary and Three Endometriomas

Hi there,

I'm not entirely sure where to post but hopefully I am in the right place here. Yesterday I had a transabdominal ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound done, for a long-standing problem that I have had with rather severe abdominal pain (among other things, been in and out of hospital with it), that I first presented about 7 months ago.

The results of my ultrasounds have shown that my uterus is retroverted, right ovary is enlarged (measuring 69 x 30 x 54mm), there are two well defined lesions on my right ovary consistant with endometriomas (largest measuring 38mm, smaller one measuring 25mm), and there is also an endometrioma (measuring 13mm in diameter) on my left ovary.

I haven't yet met with my doctor to discuss these results, as the procedure has only just been done. However, I have managed to do a bit of research to find out as much as I can about these findings - before I see her. My understanding at this point is, endometriomas are benign? I certainly hope so because them having been found on both ovaries, is not too comforting to know. I am only 27 years old who prior to these problems, have been otherwise healthy, not the type to get sick at all. Not to mention, I haven't had children yet and would certainly love to in the future.

At this stage I am quite worried that they might remove my ovaries because of the endometriomas that are on them. And it also concerns me that just about every search I did for enlarged ovary, pointed me to overian cancer. That's a bit of a worry, to say the least...

I hope someone can shed a bit of light for me here and possibly give me some ideas as to what sort of questions I should be thinking about asking my doctor when she calls me in (I imagine that will be today at some stage).

Thank you in advance,
    Ange

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
    Re: Enlarged Ovary and Three Endometriomas

Ange, I'm sure you're okay. You probably have endometriosis, sometimes it can leave your uterus and the tissue implants itself on the other female organs, is that right gals? Maybe just a d&c would help you.Don't worry about ovarian cancer, it's seen more in older women and it's pretty rare, so I've read.That would be like a mass on your ovary, not endometrial tissue.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenteal HB User

A far as I am aware a D & C is only done in the inside of the uterus. I had a D & C done while awake and with no numbing. The pain was only like bad cramps.

I have had lots of friends that have had endometriosis. It is highly uncomfortable and painful at times. Surgery can be done to remove endometriosis implants and scar tissue by a surgery called a laproscopy. I had it done cause they thought I had endo. However, they found nothing. I went back to work in 2 days and thankful after the surgery even though nothing was done my pains have greatly gone away.
    If an endometriosis cyst is found growing on an ovary (endometrioma), it is likely to be removed. There are various ways of surgically treating an endometrioma, including draining it, cutting out part of it, or removing it completely.

In one of my friends cases she had to have a have a hysterectomy because even though they cut in out numerous times it kept growing back. Her uterus, ovaries, bladder and rectum were a solid mass. She was 38 when she had hers done.

Jenteal

Last edited by Jenteal; 03-22-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
    AngieNZ
    (female)

AngieNZ HB User

Thank you for your replies, especially yours Jenteal - it was very detailed and that helped me to understand exactly what you were saying.

As much as I would like to be able to take comfort in having my young age on my side, this unfortunately has had little influence on the conditions that the doctors and surgeons are beginning to diagnose one by one. An enlarged ovary and the three endometriomas, is just one of a number of problems that they have found along with GERD and H.Pylori, which my body is resisting treatment for. Needless to say, all together, these conditions are affecting almost precisely the same area (hence the severe pain and two close calls in hospital) in terms of symptoms. The most recent "add" to the list, is now frequent problems with my heart which a week an a half ago, borderlined an attack. So age has evidently, not been on my side at all as yet.

Admittedly, New Zealand is not nearly as resourced in healthcare as you are in the United States. This is largely why I decided to come to this forum, and ask for your thoughts and/or advice. Anything that can be of some help

Jenteal, if it is in fact endometriosis, must they surgically treat the endometriomas? No alternative procedures to avoid being put in the same position as your friend who ended up having to have a hysterectomy? I do have a great suspician that this is what it may boil down to for me, given the length of time it has been. 7 months of it becoming increasingly worse, 5-6 years since I first reported it to a doctor and began the tiring process of test after test, which I admittedly gave up on back then. Until now of course, where I have little choice, it needs to be taken care of because it has been over a year since I have been able to work.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Ange

Closed Thread