It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Are LEEP & Cautery the same thing?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
    Natasha1977
    (female)

Natasha1977 HB User
    Are LEEP & Cautery the same thing?

Please can anyone tell me what exactly LEEP is and if it is the same procedure as Cautery. I had Cautery for Cervicitis 5 months ago and i've been trying to get pregnant since.

Natasha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
    DiamondLight
    (female)

DiamondLight HB User
    Re: Are LEEP & Cautery the same thing?

No, I believe that is when they either freeze or burn the tissue. A leep is where he/she uses an electrical loop and actually removes tissue. I don't know anything about the effects of cautery...sorry. I know they say having a leep can possibly cause stenosis, cervical incompetence and premature rupture of the membranes in later pregnancies, but fertility issues is said to be very rare...if at all.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
    Natasha1977
    (female)

Natasha1977 HB User
    Re: Are LEEP & Cautery the same thing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiamondLight View Post
    No, I believe that is when they either freeze or burn the tissue. A leep is where he/she uses an electrical loop and actually removes tissue. I don't know anything about the effects of cautery...sorry. I know they say having a leep can possibly cause stenosis, cervical incompetence and premature rupture of the membranes in later pregnancies, but fertility issues is said to be very rare...if at all.
    Thanks for very much for your reply. It actually sounds very similar to Cautery.

Closed Thread