It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LEEP and Scarring/Pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User
    Question LEEP and Scarring/Pregnancy

Hello,

I know the subject of the LEEP and pregnancy has been mentioned here before, but I wanted to know how the LEEP experience was for some women here. I'm going in for a colpo in 2 weeks and my pap was ASC-H (which means ASCUS but cannot rule out HSIL) and my nurse practitioner told me it's likely that I have some type of dysplasia and the LEEP is the procedure used to deal with the problem. She also mentioned that the risk involved is scarring and this can affect fertility.

Does the LEEP in fact really alter the tissue of the cervix to the point of creating problems for fertility and pregnancy? Have many of you women who underwent LEEP successfully had children later? This is one of my big concerns, of course, in addition to getting rid of all pre-cancerous traces. This is such a blow for all women, but especially for us younger women who have not had children and would like to one day. How have you all handled this?

Also, she told me that condom use *even* in monogamous relationships can help speed up the clearance of HPV in your body. Has anyone else heard this? Have many of you switched back to condoms who are in long-term, monogamous relationships?

Thanks for your input! I'm so nervous and trying to prepare myself for the fact that I may have some dysplasia and will need a LEEP. Any kind words of encouragement and shared personal experiences will be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User
    Re: LEEP and Scarring/Pregnancy

I was pregnant when my doctor found severe dysplasia on my pap. We took a wait and see approach because he didn't want to affect the pregnancy.

After I had the baby it was still the same. He told me that I would need to have the LEEP done, but he wanted to be sure that I knew that it could affect me having more children. He said that you can conceive, but depending on the amount of tissue take from the cervix it can affect carrying the baby to term. There was always the option of sewing the cervix if necessary (I forget the term he used). Since I'm 29 and this was my second child we decided to go ahead with it. My doctor also told me that with the dysplasia hormonal birth control wouldn't be a wise option for a few years as it can make the dysplasia worse. So my husband opted to have the vasectomy and that's that.

I had the LEEP done last october and have had two paps since that have been completely clear. So far so good. He told me that it will usually show up within the first two years if it were to show up again.

My husband and I haven't gone back to using condoms. My doctor didn't see it as being necessary. Nothing has shown up on either of my paps so I'm pretty optimistic. He also told me that using condoms doesn't necessarily prevent HPV, so that's something to think about.

I know that this is a lot of information to take in, especially when you are young. A lot of women go through it, and if you read back a little bit on this forum you will see a lot of positive results. There are always options so I encourage you to talk to your doctor and don't be affraid to ask questions. If you are not comfortable with him/her then find someone you are comfortable with and you can be candid with. I can't see enough wonderful things about my doctor. He has been really good with me and very understanding and honest.

I hope I was able to help a little bit. If you have concerns this is a great forum so just keep writing. Somebody will eventually get back to you.

Best of luck to you! I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry so much. Everything will work out the way it is meant to.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
    lam2703
    (female)

lam2703 HB User

I completely understand what you're going through.

I just had my first LEEP in March after my mild dysplaysia went to moderate over the course of a year. From day one, my biggest fear is not being able to have children.

I am currently waiting for my first post LEEP pap which will be in the end of June. My doctor knows how anxious I am to have a baby. She told me that she recommends I have one normal pap before trying to get pregnant. She also told me that they are so many woman who go on to have normal deliveries and healthy babies post LEEP. There's a chance a stitch (cerclage) will be put in place to keep your cervix from opening. She actually told me that some women who never had a LEEP procedure need cerclages just because their cervix is incompetent.

As you can imagine, I have been working out like crazy, eating healthy, and taking prenatal vitamins in hopes that I get a normal pap come June.

My sister is going to start trying in the next few weeks and I would really like to be pregnant along with her! We are extremely close. I feel optimistic that everything will go the way I would like it to, however, I know I will be completely devastated if this next pap doesn't come back normal. I don't know what I'll do. It's truly my one wish...

I wish you all the best with your colposcopy. If you do need a LEEP, which I hope you won't, they really aren't that bad. Not much different than a colposcopy. And yes, you can get pregnant afterwards. Thing good thoughts! I know it can be difficult! Take care!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi!

Thank you both for your replies. It is always so comforting to hear from other women going through these similar experiences -- while it's horrible we're all going through this, it is wonderful to have this type of support, even if it is via the internet! Your good wishes for me are truly appreciated and I wish you both the same in good health.

Lam2703, I truly hope your next pap comes back normal. Reading other women's testimonies about their post-LEEP paps, it seems more often than not that they come back normal! But I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for positive results! That would be wonderful if you and your sister could get pregnant at the same time. But I understand your concerns and frustrations-- while I'm not trying to get pregnant now, I definitely want to in the next 3-4 years and knowing that these surgical procedures on the cervix can affect pregnancy is a complete and utter blow to a healthy young woman. I haven't been told I need a LEEP or anything like that yet, but it is a possibility so I have to consider that option. It is reassuring to hear that other women on this forum have conceived and successfully carried their babies to term, so I suppose we can both take comfort in hearing those testimonies.

So I will try to think good thoughts, as should you! I know it is always easier said than done but I suppose our mental state and the power of the mind can affect our bodies to some extent. Do let me know how things progress with you and especially about your future pregnancies (I have a feeling it will work wonderfully for you). Hearing other women's stories is reassuring, comforting and gives me hope. Thank you for replying and keep in touch! Take care!

Closed Thread