It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Pap Results :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User
    Thumbs down Pap Results :(

Hi Everyone,

First I wanted to thank all of you who sent me your well wishes and support when I posted about going in for my follow up pap last week.

Unfortunately the doctor called me with my results today, which is never a good sign. My pap came back abnormal showing HPV and mild dysplasia. They scheduled me for a colpo on Monday.

I'm devistated to say the least. I was really praying I was done with all of this. The up side (if you can call it that) is that at least this time I know what to expect and hopefully I can prepare myself better mentally. It really helps to know that I can come on the board and talk about this with others who truly understand.

Thank you all again for your support. I'm sending you all good thoughts and prayers. Do the same for me, will you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
    LCGirl
    (female)

LCGirl HB User
    Re: Pap Results :(

Happymom,

I'm so sorry. Dealing with all of this is such an emotional rollercoaster. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your colpo/biopsy results. Take care and stay positive.

~LCGirl

Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
    Aryes517
    (female)

Aryes517 HB User

Hi Happymom
    I know exactly how you are feeling.

When i got my first post LEEP pap back and it was abnormal i was crushed.
    I had the colpo and it showed everything was gone...just healing cells. Hopefully yours will show the same.

Im scheduled next week for a follow up pap from the colpo and im a nervous wreck. BUT we all have to remember that as long as we stay on top of this we will be ok. It sure is not fun, but its doable.

Try not to panic and remember that we are all here for you and that we are all sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Take care
    ~Lisa

Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

That's the thing Lisa. This was my 3rd post LEEP pap so I'm pretty sure it won't be healing cells. It would be nice though.

The more I think about the last few months have been more stressful than usual. Maybe that's a reason for this? There has just been so much going on. I'm looking into the vitamins that a lot of you have been posting about. I'm also thinking that maybe starting yoga would be a good idea. Anything to help keep the stress levels down, right?

Thank you both for your replies and your well wishes. It really helps!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

hi happymom,

I'm sorry your pap came back mild dysplasia-- this whole HPV ordeal is such a mentally exhausting one!

If you try and look at this positively, at the very least the pap results showed mild dysplasia which doesn't need treatment. And also, pap results are never definitive and only a colpo/biopsy will tell you what's really going on. It could be that the pap results were erring on the side of caution and it could be nothing! Try not to worry and I know it is excrutiatingly frustrating, but you will be fine. You fought off mild dsyplasia the first time, I'm sure it can happen again without threatment! You are keeping on top of your health and that is the best thing!

And yes, perhaps stress played a role in all this. I'd definitely look into some type of relaxation techniques and I hear yoga is great for that! Perhaps if you can afford it, try seeing a nutritionist or naturopathic doctor who can get you on a nutrition plan and/or vitamin regimen geared specifically toward helping your body suppress your HPV strain.

Take care and try not to stress as that will only cause your body more harm. We're all going through similar experiences so come and vent anytime-- I know it's really difficult to cope with at times but make sure to de-stress and have your support network around you to help cheer you up. You'll be fine!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
    SippyCup
    (female)

SippyCup HB User

I'm so sorry! I can imagine how difficult that is. I'll be sending you healthy *****, and hoping for the best for you! Please let us know how it goes!

-- Adrienne

Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
    MichelleNTX
    (female)

MichelleNTX HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by happymom28 View Post
    Unfortunately the doctor called me with my results today, which is never a good sign. My pap came back abnormal showing HPV and mild dysplasia. They scheduled me for a colpo on Monday
    Hi Happymom -- First, I want to tell you good luck on your upcoming colpo. Second, I want to tell you that your pap is only an indication that there MAY be abnormal cells. And those abnormal cells may or may not be dysplasia caused by HPV. A Pap can not (I repeat, CAN NOT) diagnose dysplasia -- so don't start worrying...yet.

I just went through something similar. I had an ASCUS Pap in June 2005, followed by a positive HPV test, followed by a biopsy and confirmed diagnosis of CIN III. Since my LEEP (October 2005), I've had 3+ ASCUS pap smears and 2+ biopsies. My biopsy 6 months ago was CIN I-II (my doctor admittedly didn't get all the abnormal areas during my LEEP). My last biopsy two weeks ago was normal.

Even though my doctor was sure the areas he took the biopsy from didn't look normal (and told me to start considering my options) my biopsy results were completely normal. His explanation? The abnormal pap was detecting abnormal cells -- the abnormal cells were from the inflammation of my cervix (which he noted upon examination). The inflammation of my cervix was due to the inversion of my cervix caused by the scarring from the LEEP I had in October 2005.

Long story short -- your body could just be very well healing itself. Don't think worse case scenario until you have all the facts. And at this point, you don't have anything remotely close to fact. Good luck, and keep positive!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
    furtiva
    (female)

furtiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MichelleNTX View Post
    Long story short -- your body could just be very well healing itself. Don't think worse case scenario until you have all the facts. And at this point, you don't have anything remotely close to fact. Good luck, and keep positive!
    Dear Michele,

I am sorry about your ordeal. You're the real life example why I shy away from LEEP and don't rely on doctor's opinion solely.

Happymom, just try to relax, you will be fine if everything is attended properly. You are far from being in a risky situation of life and death. Meanwhile boost your immune system, make your bidy stronger, take vitamins, and eat better.

I did that for three months, and I have no lesions (I had a tiny one before) and my PAP results came ASCUS as compared to my previous LSGIL (colpo confirmed CINI/II, well the other doctor said even CIN III, but she was being more precautios). I intend to continue my regimen, and hopefully my body will fight it off itself without having to go through more invasive procedure.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Furtiva,

Do you mind sharing your regimen and/or lifestyle changes with us? I'm not sure if you posted that a while ago, but I had CIN I-II on my biopsy last month and currently am seeing a naturopathic physician to boost my immune system in the hopes of having my dysplasia regress in 3 months time. Since you also had CIN I-II, it gives me hope to see that your pap regressed to ASCUS. Did you have another biopsy to see if the CIN I-II had regressed? Thanks for sharing your info and for giving me hope!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
    furtiva
    (female)

furtiva HB User

Lagirl,

I got my regimen from Shadow88 who posted here a while ago which is very similar with a lot of studies done both in US and mainly in UK. It enhances the fact that some women have needs in vitamins especially B, folic acid and A, and once these are restored, and toical treatment is done, your body immune system can propely fight the virus itself.

I didn;t go through a colpo yet, as I'd like to complete the 6 months period (it has been only three months and a week since I started it) and than re-do the pap and if abnormal again will definitely re-do the colpo. I will go for an HPV Dna testing soon, just so I know, although I;m sure I got HPV, at least the strain that gives you lesions (the tiny one I had dissaperead in a short while after my vitamin intake, great news right there).

you can find the same regimen if you search the postings of Shadow88 in this board, but it goes like this:

Vitamin A 25,000 IU (first 2 weeks twice a day, than take Beta carotene instead since it's less harmful than A)
    Vitamin B complex (as much as you are adviced or cane take)
    Folic acid twice a day 5 mg each time (that's a large quantity)
    Vitamin C as much as you can
    Indole -3 -carbinol (cruciferious vegetable exctract) 400 mg
    Multivitamin with selenium and E in it

lots of green tea, astralagus (tablets), calendula tea, and calendula and pau d'arco baths.. suppositories with vitamin A (retinol) for one week in three months

eat right, NO smoking, even second hand, less alchool, less sugar, less food that increases your estrogen levels generally and increase the level of alkaline food intake, as your Ph increases it fights cancer growth.

Last edited by furtiva; 06-21-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Thanks for sharing, furtiva! It seems like you and I are doing the same type of regimen (supplements and suppositories). And we also have the same mild/mod dysplasia diagnosis. It'd be great to keep in touch with you throughout the months to see how your next pap turns out. As I just started my regimen, I'll be going in for another pap in September...fingers crossed! I think getting to the root of the problem (suppressing the virus via improving our health) is the best way to go. And like you, if nothing works and my dysplasia progresses, well at least we have LEEP or laser to fall back on. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #12
    furtiva
    (female)

furtiva HB User

thanks LAGIRL!

I love this board, it has been the best thing for me in addressing my questions in this matter.

I have a quick question for you: what kind of suppositories do you use and how often?

Until september is a long way to go, but as time goes by so will your stress about it, especially if you know that you're doing your best taking care of yourself.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi Furtiva!

I'm so glad to find out that you're doing a similar regimen as I am and for the same type of dysplasia! Now we must definitely keep in touch.

My doctor put me on a daily vitamin regimen, all similar to what you're taking (except I'm also taking 2-3 zinc lozenges daily which boost immunity, and you can buy those anywhere). As far as the suppositories go, I'll be doing those everyday for the next 3 months, except weeks 7 and 8 which I have off from that. Quite a committment, I know! But actually, they're not very messy and don't smell funny at all either! which is good!

Each week I alternate suppositories. For the odd weeks (weeks 1, 3, 5 etc) I use Vitamin A suppositories and insert one up against my cervix before bed. I do this for 6 days and on the 7th night, I insert 2 suppositories called vag pack suppositories. The following morning (8th day), I douche with an apple cidar vinegar/water mixture. The even weeks (weeks 2,4,6 etc) I use Papillo vaginal suppositories every night for 6 days and then use the vag packs again on night 7 and the douche the next morning. It's quite a process but I believe it's going to help and the doctors who've used it for our type of dysplasia have had a lot of success with it. Are these the same ones you use?

Have you heard of escharotic treatments? My doctor said she uses that for more severe dysplasia, but I think I'm willing to try it for a couple of months if my re-pap stays the same. Yeah 3 months sounds far off but you're right, knowing that we're being pro-active about our health is a good feeling. And even if we try everything naturally and our dysplasia won't go away, well then at least I'll feel better about myself for having tried this before I do a surgical procedure. And good can only come from us boosting our immune systems with vitamins! Take care and keep in touch.

Oh I had one more ques: If your pap doesn't clear up in 3 months, are you going to do a procedure or try a few more months of supplements/suppositories? Thanks for sharing furtiva!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
    furtiva
    (female)

furtiva HB User

Hi Lagirl,

I have heard of Escharotic treatment from the many studies that I have read online and from the doc. I'ts quite intensive and it requires several vistits to the doctor's office since they will have to put the herbal tinctures/mixtures directly to the cervix than wash it out for you. It is quite helpful, I just hope I won't need it.

Thanks for sharing your info. It looks like your doc is quite agressive in your regimen. I am not doing all the suppositories you are, just the liquid of vitamin A for a week and baths on herbal mixtures. They help me relax too.

It looks like you are doing a lot of douches. Do you have to? I know that part of the natural treatment is that, I'm just spectical on doing it myself that often. It can de-regaluate your natural ph of the vagina.

After I am done with the complete 6 months (August 26) and my pap is still abnormal, I will give it one ore month of intensive natural treatment before I get into any surgical procedure. I really hope that I won't need to go through the very invasive ones, since they're not really final, and I'm confident that things will look better by that time. We'll definitely keep in touch. It's great to hear other's people storie, especially when they are encouraging.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi again furtiva, (haha maybe we should start a new thread!)

Yeah, I've never heard good things about douches so I was a bit skeptical myself, but I looked online and discovered that that is part of the standard protocol for naturopathic physicians who've treated cervical dysplasia. There's a pretty interesting article by Dr. Tori Hudson who is one of the nation's leading naturopathic physicians specializing in women's health, and she mentions that apple cider vinegar douche as part of the regimen. I think that you're right, though-- it's definitely a more intensive regimen with the daily suppositories, etc, but after 2 years of abnormal paps I'm willing to give this a go! Also, I've only recently been diagnosed with CIN I-II so I figure I can try and nip it in the bud (my past 2 biopsies in the past 2 years were benign). Are you seeing a naturopathic physician also or are you just doing this on your own?

And it makes more sense to me to improve my overall health and immune system as HPV can rear its ugly head when our health is down. It's nice to know we have these alternatives as well as having the LEEP or laser to fall back on. I'm really hoping we don't have to go that route, though! I think, though, if I have to go that route I'd choose laser over LEEP as there is less damage to the cervix, and I want to be having babies within the next few years (I'm not sure if fertility is important to you too?) It sounds so far that your regimen has been working-- that's so encouraging! When did you find out you had CIN I-II and how long had you been having abnormal paps?

Ok I'll stop with the questions. I'm so glad to find out you're doing a similar regimen and we'll have to keep in touch. Is there a way to exchange emails on this board? Hope you have a good weekend!

Closed Thread