It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LGSIL...what now?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
    marielle1984
    (female)

marielle1984 HB User
    LGSIL...what now?

Hey everyone...

I need some advice/information on this next step I am about to take....which I'm pretty apprehensive about.

So, I've had four abnormal paps in the past. They've ususally come back LGSIL (6 months ago one was ASCUS). After the first LGSIL pap, I had a negative colposcopy. Just a month ago I had another colpo, following another LGSIL pap, which the doc took a biopsy of. The biopsy confirmed intraepithelial lesions, either CIN 1 or 2. She interpreted it as "just a little funny...not of huge concern..." This doc recommended cryotherapy, but acknowledged that doctors could go either way in my situation (either watchful waiting, or cryotherapy.)

Since being home, I had a second opinion from a doc recommended by my dad. I had him do another colpo and pap. He said he didnt see anything in the colpo, but the pap came back once again as LGSIL. He also recommended cryotherapy.

So here's my concern/question/ worries: I'm 22, plan on having kids one day, and have always wanted to do natural childbirth with a midwife. The doc said that after cryotherapy, in some women their cervix is a bit thinner which doesnt affect anything until labor, during which it could go quicker... Does that mean that I have to do labor in a hospital, C-section, etc?

Is he telling me everything? What else should I know? Is this the best route to take at this point, or could I be better off putting myself on a rigorous health regimin to see if it reverses before I do cryo? (I admit, I havent been doing as well as I chould in terms of health and lifestyle changes....)

Additionally, the research is really confusing me as far as what i should do at this point....

Thanks so much for some input...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User
    Re: LGSIL...what now?

Hi Marielle!

I wanted to let you know that I empathize with you completely. I think you've read the thread "Health regimen for CIN I-II" that Furtiva and I have posted and that the three of us have the same biopsy results.

With our particular CIN, it's very subjective what type of treatment will be recommended. Go back to that thread and re-read some of the posts on there. But to recap, I've seen 3 doctors all telling me different things to do regarding my dysplasia (one said LEEP now, one said LEEP after a few months of watchign and waiting, and one said watch and wait with NO leep now).

I'm opting for a watch-and-wait plan with a repeat pap smear and biopsy in 4 months to see the status of my dysplasia. I decided not to let the doctors scare me into a LEEP right now because my best friend's mother, a gynecologist, said that I could wait til October to do a repeat pap and colpo, if necessary. She said many doctors are much too aggressive and in her 20 years of gynecological experience, she now sees the benefit of adopting a conservative approach when treating milder cases of dysplasia in young women.

It's entirely up to you what you choose to do. From what all the doctors have said about cryo, they just don't recommend it as much as LEEP or laser. It's not as effective (higher chance of the dysplasia recurring) and it also causes scar tissue (as does a LEEP). If you do any type of surgical treatment on your cervix (cryo, LEEP, etc), there is always a risk of an incompetent cervix or cervical stenosis. You would definitely have to be monitered more closely by your OB/GYN once you're pregnant to make sure your cervix is strong enough to hold the baby in. So I'm not sure if natural childbirth is an option for women who've had LEEPS, etc? That would be interesting to find out, but my guess would be no.

In any case, I do think improving your overall health is the best bet, for whatever treatment plan you choose. LEEPs and cryos do not cure of HPV and the only way to suppress the virus so it won't cause dysplasia is to boost your overall health and immune system. Diet changes, vitamin supplements, and other lifestyle changes will definitely help with that. I, too, want to have children in the near future and so keeping my repro organs intact is important to me. I'm seeing a naturopathic doctor who has me on an intense regimen of vaginal suppositories, vitamin supplements, and anti-virals that are helping treat my dysplasia as well as boosting my immune system and suppressing my HPV. Furtiva is also on a similar health regimen plan for her dysplasia.

So to sum up (sorry for this rant!), I think you have time to wait and watch in your type of dysplasia. I think with CIN III it would be a little riskier, but since this dyplasia is a bit milder, then there are certain things you can do to increase the chances of your dysplasia spontaneously regressing. Remember that dysplasia is verrrrrrrry slow to progress and sometimes it doesn't progress at all. So perhaps a naturopathic treatment could be an option for you now? In any case, I'd ask around more docs about the cryo-- every doc I've spoken to really do not like using that anymore since it's only most successful for CIN I and you shouldn't be treating CIN I with anything at all.

I hope this helps ease your mind a bit! Trust me, I know how confusing it is talking to all these different doctors and hearing contradictory recommendations. Just keep informing yourself before making any treatment choices and be sure that you are most comfortable with that treatment of choice!

Let me know if you have more questions! Take care!

The Following User Says Thank You to LAgirl81 For This Useful Post:
    WWLD (02-01-2011)
    Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
    LCGirl
    (female)

LCGirl HB User

Hi Marielle and welcome!

I just wanted to let you know my experience if you do decide to do the cryo. I had cryo at age 19. I had my first baby at age 30. Did my labor go faster? Nope! 36 hours with my first baby, 18 hours with my second. And both natural births btw.

When I had the cryo, the doctor told me I could still have kids with no mention of a weakened cervix (but that was 26 years ago!) and I never gave it a 2nd thought.

Take care
    ~LCG

Last edited by LCGirl; 07-18-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
    marielle1984
    (female)

marielle1984 HB User

Thanks for the input, ladies. I tend to be all over the place on this issue lately, at times feeling totally confident that I can take control of the situation with health, nutrition, and staying informed, and other times I jump back to thinking that maybe I need to take the more drastic measures that the two docs have recommended, unsure of if I can trust my own body.

All I know is, if there is ANY chance that I can work at helping my body to kick in and clear this up, I will chose that over something that I cannot reverse--something that may permenantly change my cervix. Theres only *so* much there to work with! Plus, if I do cryo, I'll never know if it would have cleared up on its own.

I'm going up to the medical college to speak with a doc for a third opinion, and this time I will prepare dozens of questions about my EXACT condition, what ALL the options are, what the long term prognosis is, etc etc... as well as have him/her COMPLETELY translate my records for me. I cant stand not feeling like I have a firm grasp on what exactly is going on, and theres no way I'll feel comfortable with ANY form of treatment until I do.

I remember how when I went in for the second-to-last colposcopy in May, I was pretty skeptical and not comfortable with her responses to my questions and concerns, not to mention feeling a lack of control of my body, so when she went to take a piece out of my cervix to biopsy, I kind of freaked out and it was pretty psychologically upsetting to me. I just KNOW that at this point, if I went to get cryo, I'd react the same way on the table... and its probably my gut telling me something!

Anyways, more questions and more reading for me...! Thanks again for the support...

Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Marielle--

I completely understand how you feel! When I saw my university doc (still a resident and probably a bit inexperienced), she scared me by saying I needed a LEEP asap. It made me second-guess my health regimen and I thought, "Maybe I should get this LEEP done now so I can move on with my life??"

BUT I called my best friend's mom again and she reassured me that there was no need to rush into a LEEP with a CIN I/II diagnosis. I could even wait a year (monitering every 3 months with paps, of course) without treatment if my dysplasia doesn't progress.

That calmed me down a bit and put my faith back in my health regimen. Also, if you're considering doing a naturopathic regimen, DEFINITELY read the article called "Preventing and Treating Cervical Dysplasia: A Natural Medicine Perspective" by Doctor Tori Hudson. It is very informative and very, very encouraging for those of us wanting to treat dysplasia naturally. You should be able to find the article online!

It's great you're getting another opinion. The more you know, the better and more control of things you will feel. NEVER feel pressured by a doc to do something that you're even SLIGHTLY hesitant about.

Also, remember that I'm in your very shoes *right now* and I can tell you it is safe to do a wait-and-watch/health program until your next pap/biopsy. Please let me know if you have more questions about anything! Take care and remember you WILL be fine!

Last edited by LAgirl81; 07-19-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Closed Thread