It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• I am really worried, please any advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
    bamalina
    (female)

bamalina HB User
    I am really worried, please any advice?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and have been reading alot of the posts, cut a long story short I had my smear test 3 weeks ago, after puttin it off, my last one was 4 years ago, and havin 2 children my excuse was I will get round to it..... well I forgot the fact that I have been irregular bleeding for over a year now, I spot brown blood every other day (sorry if to much information) but always assumed it was because of my contraceptive implant (arm one), but have now got to go for a colscopy, I am now worried havin done some research, as I have 2 children, used to smoke but gave up 3 years ago, and with my irregular bleeding for so long, I now feel awful that I havnt gotten it sorted,

When I called up to make my colp appointment the receptionost said' oh I will have to call you back' I thought nothing of it, then when she called she said ' I have had to move 3 peoples appointments to fit you in for 7th August', which I am really gratefull for but now I am thinkin why did she need to move appointments for me?
    Can they tell anything from a smear? I thought it was only when they had done the biopsy,

Anyway what I really wanted to know was did anyone have any symptoms for cervical cancer? This irregular bleeding has really gotten me worried now. I know I am probably worrying for nothing but with my appoinment bein 3 weeks away I am findin I am thinkin about this all the time,
    Also as silly as it sounds because I am only 25 I really thought I had nothing to worry about.

Any advice at all would be great, Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User
    Re: I am really worried, please any advice?

Hi there!

If I were you I'd try not to worry too much right now. I know the waiting sucks as you have no idea what's going on, but try and stay calm.

Did you not get your pap results back then? I'm assuming if it were more serious, the docs would've had you come in ASAP to talk to them. Maybe you could call them back and see if they can send you and the doctor could tell you over the phone what it said. If they have your results in already, you shouldn't have to wait 3 weeks to know what it says! I'd call them back and find out what the results say.

And you're right-- paps do not provide a diagnosis, they're merely a screening tool. Biopsies tell you what's going, so try not to worry until you have more information. Take care!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
    bamalina
    (female)

bamalina HB User

My letter from the hospital said my recent smear test showed an abnormal result and that there are some changes to the cells, and could I ring the hospital immediately within the next 5 days to make an appointment,

I am aware that 10% of smears show some sort of abnormality and wouldnt have been to worried but the letter used the words 'in most cases this is not cancer' and make the apppintment immediately! , didnt say anything about mild or severe change,just 'a change' but I dont know how the letters would normally be worded anyway?

Chances are I am fine and nothing to worry about, but the wording in the letters does frighten you a bit! Unless they said to make an appointment immediately so people make sure they do rather than put it off?

Old 07-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
    gorgikin
    (female)

gorgikin HB User

Hi Bamalina,
    It sounds like you are in the hands of a caring medical team if they are moving appointments to get you in sooner. Many women are not so lucky! A letter won't say much usually in detail, but you do have the right to request copies of the lab report from the medical records department, which is what I would recommend doing if you can. The labs will typically say something to the effect of:

ASCUS-undetermined significance
    ASCUS-can not rule out LGSIL or HGSIL or
    *EPITHELIAL CELL ABNORMALITY* and under diagnosis it states either LGSIL or HGSIL

This would be a good starting point at least you won't be so in the dark, but it won't give you any definate answers. It won't be until your colposcopy and biopsy that you will have more of an idea of where you stand. Do you know if they performed a HPV test?? If not, I would inquire about that too and the results as well.

As for "make an appointment immediately", that can be alarming, but yeah...they have to say it for liability reasons and such.

Wishing you the best luck!!! Keep us posted on how you are! : )

Last edited by gorgikin; 07-19-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
    bamalina
    (female)

bamalina HB User

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated,

Well I just rang the surgery and spoke the nurse that took my smear about the results, and I said I was lookin for a bit of peace of mind and said that I assumed for minor/borderline chnges you just have to go back in 6 mnths for a re-test, She said the letters wouldnt say anything like 'severe chnges' they would only show up as some changes ect, so my mind racin a little, anyway she gets my notes on the computer and reads aloud....... smear test taken 26/06/2007, borderline chges usually re-test, please refer patient for appointment for colopcosy (sorry for spelling)
    So now I am a little worried, because if they usually just re- test why do I have to go for a colp? I asked her and she just said its so they can have a better look, well I know that, its only worried my because my letter didnt state severe changes or even moderate so I was like 'ah nothing to worry about' then this nurse has said they cant tell what changes from a smear they can only tell that some changes have happened, yikes!

I feel like waitin on a time bomb, my appt for my colp is just under 3 weeks away, so I cant panick about something I dont know I guess, oh and I mentioned the irregular bleedin to her and she said to definately mention that when I go.......keep you updated guys.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
    kimiesoscared
    (female)

kimiesoscared HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamalina View Post

Well I just rang the surgery and spoke the nurse that took my smear about the results, and I said I was lookin for a bit of peace of mind and said that I assumed for minor/borderline chnges you just have to go back in 6 mnths for a re-test, She said the letters wouldnt say anything like 'severe chnges' they would only show up as some changes ect, so my mind racin a little, anyway she gets my notes on the computer and reads aloud....... smear test taken 26/06/2007, borderline chges usually re-test, please refer patient for appointment for colopcosy (sorry for spelling)
    So now I am a little worried, because if they usually just re- test why do I have to go for a colp? I asked her and she just said its so they can have a better look, well I know that, its only worried my because my letter didnt state severe changes or even moderate so I was like 'ah nothing to worry about' then this nurse has said they cant tell what changes from a smear they can only tell that some changes have happened, yikes!

I feel like waitin on a time bomb, my appt for my colp is just under 3 weeks away, so I cant panick about something I dont know I guess, oh and I mentioned the irregular bleedin to her and she said to definately mention that when I go.......keep you updated guys.
    I can totally understand what you mean-waiting is the worse part of this. The mind keeps taking you places you rather not go. I feel like I am not living anymore-all I do is think of this stuff and all the fun things I would enjoy are just not there anymore-because this has consumed me. I have been told not to think about it and time will go faster which I imagine is so true-but I have difficulty with this and the fear. I wish you best.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
    jujukitty
    Inactive
    (female)

jujukitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamalina View Post

My original abnormal pap (over 4 years ago) would have been just a re-test in 6 months except that I tested positive for high-risk HPV.
    In those cases they do more follow up than just waiting, and that was explained to me at the time. Were you tested for HPV as well? If you already answered that I apologize!

Old 07-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
    becks77
    (female)

becks77 HB User

hiya,

depending on where you live it is normal if you have an abnormal pap test to eb sent for a colposcopy.

thats exactly what they did with me after my pap test last sep.

my colpo was performed in nov last year, and all they do is have acloser look at teh cervix usinga camera.

teh change in my cells at the tiem was minro, but to be sure they senta small biopsy off to teh lab,a nd it came back clear.

if it had come back clear or cinI they just tend to do a recheck every six months to monitro of treatment is required.

sadly when i had my retest and secodn colpo in may thsi year it came back cinIII, and in june i had a leep performed.

please tho do not worry about teh colpo, i remember getting so upset and crying on teh "table" but it really is the norm with abnormal paps.

whats more youa re in and out within ten minutes.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
    bamalina
    (female)

bamalina HB User

Thanks for the repiles,

I havnt been tested for hpv, is that a different test? Or do they detect that with the smear?
    I am from the uk aswell beck, so perhaps it is standard to send straight for colp, I do feel a little better though havin done some research, I think my brain nearly exploded first off all, but havin surfed the wonderfull internet I have educated myself. Feel very silly for bein so ignorant thinkin I was far to young to be at risk from anything.
    2 and a half weeks and counting!
    The colp doesnt scare me to much, I think havin had 2 kids I am used to people prodin and pokin 'down there'! lol! Its just gonna be the waitin for results after I think.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi Bamalina,

Please don't beat yourself up over this. There's nothing you could've done to prevent yourself from getting HPV (I'm assuming you have this as it causes almost all cases of cervical precancerous changes)-- only if you abstain from sex, and how many people do that???

So don't feel silly at all. I think all of us women on this board were shocked when first diagnosed-- most women I know with HPV/dysplasia are very smart, responsible, and sexually cautious people. There's no way to test men for HPV so even if you went in with your boyfriend to get tested before you had sex, there's no way to know if he had it or not.

Also, remember HOW COMMON this is. It is EXTREMELY common in young women. This fact alone has made me feel MUCH better-- not that other women are going through this, but knowing that we're not in a minority.

The first month after I got my CIN I-II diagnosis I was a wreck. It didn't help that I was in the middle of finals so it made things worse. But after a few weeks of reveling the worst-case scenarios, I snapped out of it after talking to other people, coming to these boards, talking to many doctors, friends, etc.

Also, what's greaty, GREATLY helped me not feel so helpless during all this watching-and-waiting time is being proactive about my health. Honestly girls, I can't stress this enough!!! Kimi you mentioned you can't get past this feeling of being consumed by worry with HPV/dysplasia,etc. I can honestly say that doing EVERYTHING I possibly can to boost my immune system and be proactive during the waiting time makes me feel so much more in control of my body. And remember, mental health plays a BIG role in dysplasia. We're more likely to develop illnesses when we're stresed because our body's immune system is run down and not in top form.

Search these boards for tips on vitamins, lifestyle changes, diet changes, and certain foods that suppress HPV and treat dysplasia. Getting to the root of the problem (suppressing the HPV via strong immune system) is the only way to guarantee the dysplasia will not recur.

I hope you're all not reveling in this stress too much! Trust me, I know it's tough, but you must NOT let it consume you. Be proactive with your health, keep yourself busy with other things in your life, and you'll see that it won't consume your thoughts constantly. Take care ladies!

Closed Thread