It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• NEW! Cervical dysplasia recurrence?!?! (LONG)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
    mom2nik2002
    (female)

mom2nik2002 HB User
    NEW! Cervical dysplasia recurrence?!?! (LONG)

I'm new to the boards! My name is Elle. I am 27 and married with 2 children (a daughter that is 7 months old and a son that is 4.5).

Anyhow, in 2005 I had a pap come back as LGSIL. The colposcopy was so bad doc prepared me for a cancer dx. I had 6 biopsies taken in addition to an ECC. The results were HGSIL with extension well into the endocervix. I had a very aggressive LEEP cone biopsy and, luckily, the margins were clear. I had paps every 6 months since and they'd all been normal.

I got pregnant in April 2006 and, due to the aggressive LEEP cone, I had incompetent cervix and preterm labor that had me on bedrest from 28 weeks. By the grace of God, my daughter was born FULL-TERM on 12/26/06and perfectly healthy. We are done having children.

Anyhow, I digress. I had my pap done at the end of May 2007--2 years after the LEEP cone. Anyhow, the results were ASCUS but the HPV test was negative. The nurse just left a message on my medical messaging box. They said to repeat the test in 1 year. What?!?!?! I was thinking maybe they didn't realize my history when they left the message. The message was back in June BTW. Life just got the best of me and I forgot about it until Friday when I checked and found out the results. Bad, I know but I work full-time and DH works 2nd shift so I have NO time to do anything.

So, should I call back and ask to have a repeat sooner than 1 year? That's an awful long time to wait with my past history, IMHO. I think 3-6 months repeat is more reasonable. I'd prefer a colposcopy but would settle with a pap in the next couple months. I am going to get a copy of the results but, until then, I'm debating what I should do. I wouldn't be so concerned but the dysplasia was so bad last time and I'm only 27.

What do y'all think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
    XxsocalwifexX
    (female)

XxsocalwifexX HB User
    Re: NEW! Cervical dysplasia recurrence?!?! (LONG)

Yes definitely...call them back. Do you have kaiser by any chance? When I have had my issues they have brought me in every 6 months...no questions asked!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
    mom2nik2002
    (female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

No, don't have Kaiser. Emerald Health--they're terrible but they ARE a PPO so I can typically just request this from the doc and it'll be covered @ 90%. I'm really not concerned with cost. I can't be. Even DH, whose so darn cheap it's ridiculous, is insisting I do something more than follow up NEXT YEAR!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
    fairydust7
    (female)

fairydust7 HB User

Yes you should most certainly follow up. 1 year is too long to wait.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
    mom2nik2002
    (female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

Well, I called and talked to them yesterday afternoon. It was a different nurse! I hate talking to new people who don't "know" me or my history. I've been with them for 7 years so talking to my doc's usual nurse is so much better. But, whatever. The nurse said that he should know my history so there must be a reason he said to wait 1 year. I said I wasn't comfortable with that and asked that her or my doc's usual nurse speak to him about doing a repeat either at 3 or 6 months. She seemed to agree with me so that's good but, unfortunately, he won't be back in the office until Thursday. Then, who knows how long it'll take for them to get back to me. I'll give them until Monday then I'm calling back.

Worst case, I have my IUD placement appt on the 20th and I'll talk to him then. Hate to wait but don't know what else to do.

Here's hoping I get a repeat ASAP! I REALLY hate dealing with all this! Since I have been dealing with this (in addition to endo and adeno), my crazy MIL trys to make me feel guilty for not getting a hysterectomy--she says that I have to think about my kids. She hasn't had one so I don't think she has any idea that it's not that "simple" just getting one. Doc has casually mentioned it but knows I'm not prepared to do that.

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
    merca_1
    (female)

merca_1 HB User

Doctors are there to serve us.
    From what I've read, Paps miss 40% of the time.
    Demand a colposcopy. Do it for your sanity.

Closed Thread