It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Treatment Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User
    Treatment Help

Okay guys. I went and got my colposcopy today after my first abnormal pap and they took two biopsies and scraped my cervix to see if it has spread beyond I guess? Well I was just wondering from those of you that had been through this a couple of questions. First she said I had two lesions but then she called them warts on my cervix. I have never had any signs of warts outside my cervix. Just wondering if a lesion is the same thing as a wart. (I was diagnosed with hisk risk hpv strain during my pap) She then told me she would have my biopsy results in 2 weeks and to come back then to also get the warts on my cervix frozen off. Is this normal? All the things I have been reading shows that freezing is outdated am I wrong? Has anyone out there had them freeze the abnormal cells off? I am so upset and confused not to mention when I went to schedule my follow up for treatment they couldnt get me in for almost a month..which isnt the 2 wks like the doc said. How am I going to wait a month to find out my results. I am going to go crazy by then. =(

Last edited by sarmee; 08-13-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: n

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User
    Re: Treatment Help

hi there!

I think I know what's going on with you as I experienced something similar to you. Last year I tested positive for high-risk HPV after 2 years of abnormal paps and benign biopsy results. The biopsy result I had last year came back benign, but the tissue sample showed condyloma on my cervix (warty tissue). I've never had a wart on me externally so this is possible. I'm not sure if the warty tissue was caused by a low risk or my high risk strain-- but in either case, warty tissue is still a benign result! Meaning, no treatment is necessary as there is no dysplasia. However, one year after (this past May), my last biopsy came back as mild-mod dysplasia so I have to work on this now. I have no idea if it is connected to my biopsy last year that showed condyloma, but in either case, if your biopsy comes back as ONLY condyloma, then no treatment is necessary.

And if you do have some type of dysplasia come back on your results, I would probably opt for a LEEP or laser. I haven't heard many good things about cryo (the freezing one) from various doctors and I hear it's not as effective (higher chance for recurrence) as LEEP or laser. Best of luck to you! Try not to stress. The waiting it the most HORRIBLE part of all this crap, but you're not alone! Try and keep your mind off of it and spend some time doing things you like. Take care!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

HEY LA GIRL..thanks for your help. I am wondering something the pap showed mild dysplasia and she said I have from what she can tell mild dysplasia LGSIL. After the colpo she told me come back and we will do cryosurgery and go over your results, and that she would call me before then if something was different in my results than what she already diagnosed but otherwise we would just treat the "warts" or "lesions" (she used these words interchangable)with freezing...humm..what do u guys think? ..is that not dysplasia?

Last edited by sarmee; 08-13-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: n

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
    LCGirl
    (female)

LCGirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarmee View Post
    HEY LA GIRL..thanks for your help. I am wondering something the pap showed mild dysplasia and she said I have from what she can tell mild dysplasia LGSIL. After the colpo she told me come back and we will do cryosurgery and go over your results, and that she would call me before then if something was different in my results than what she already diagnosed but otherwise we would just treat the "warts" or "lesions" (she used these words interchangable)with freezing...humm..what do u guys think? ..is that not dysplasia?
    Hi Sarmee,

I had cryotherapy 26 years ago. I don't know what the level of dysplasia I had, I was too young and scared to ask questions (19 years old). PAPs were normal until 6 years ago, the PAP came back ASCUS with condyloma. After a recheck, PAPs were normal until this last May. I had a colpo and I had one area with "subtle changes" which came back as LGSIL. My doctor recommends waiting 4 months and then do a repeat PAP. She says that up to 80% of mild cases will clear up on its own. I am just waiting right now until I go for followup and results in early Oct. Waiting is the hardest part!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #5
    piperpilot
    (male)

piperpilot HB User

A PAP is just a screen. A PAP cannot diagnose high-risk HPV strain. If they did an HPV test, either as a reflex to ASCUS-US result, or a stand-alone test, run from liquid-based PAP or seperate swap test then that would be the only way a Dr could conclusively diagnose high-risk HPV. It is true that 85% of PAPs that show dysplasia are as a result of high-risk HPV. This becomes the basis for many Drs assuming you have high-risk HPV, and also why it is of little value to do an HPV genotype test when PAP comes back with either LSIL or HSIL (it's so statistically likely that high-risk HPV is present, they just presume it to always be the case). ASCUS is not neccessarily indicative of dysplasia--that's why they do the reflex test which simply test for the presence of the most common high-risk HPV subtypes. I would ask for to see the results of the PAP to see for yourself what it says. If it indicates either LSIL or HSIL (only things that cause Dr to conclude you have high-risk HPV) AND you have "warty" growth on cervix, you may have more than one strain of HPV which is quite common. So you may have some Mild dysplasia which Dr is willing to wait and watch, but also have a condyloma (warty growth) which can spread and should be removed. As for the cryo--still used to treat more localized condyloma, however to treat dysplasia, this would not be the teatment of choice as it destroys the tissue, rather than preserving for additional pathological testing.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

I think I am starting to understand it more.. The pap showed mild dysplasia LGSIL and CIN I that is what the doc thinks I have too. I am confused of what treatment I should get still because it sounds to me like I have two different things..dysplasia and two small warts that she could barely see she said. I have been taking supplements for folic acid to fight this because I read that helps...but who knows.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
    mom2nik2002
    (female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

I don't know why she'd use the terms interchangeably because, at least from what I understand of HPV and dysplasia, they are distinctly different. Lesions would seem to refer to a distint dysplastic area of the cervix while warts would, to me, seem to refer to an area affected, possibly, by a low-risk strain of HPV but not necessarily dysplastic. It is possible to have multiple strains of HPV at any given time.

As Piper said, cryo is not a very good treatment for dysplasia but is a successful treatment for warty tissue.

As for the wait....a month does suck but, if I were you, I'd try calling back after the 2 weeks and seeing if you can get the results read to you over the phone instead of coming in. If that is not possible, see if there were any cancellations. The squeaky wheel gets the oil so keep calling and asking. You might not get in sooner but it'll give you something "proactive" to do in the mean time! I was told I had to wait 3 weeks after my biopsy since my doc was going on vacation. I kept calling and finally got them to read the results to me over the phone--2 weeks after the biopsies. Took some convincing but I got results. I, however, do not mind being a PIA! That's what they are there for and what my insurance pays them for!

GL! You'll get through the wait. It'll go faster than you think right now!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarmee View Post
    Okay guys. I went and got my colposcopy today after my first abnormal pap and they took two biopsies and scraped my cervix to see if it has spread beyond I guess? Well I was just wondering from those of you that had been through this a couple of questions. First she said I had two lesions but then she called them warts on my cervix. I have never had any signs of warts outside my cervix. Just wondering if a lesion is the same thing as a wart. (I was diagnosed with hisk risk hpv strain during my pap) She then told me she would have my biopsy results in 2 weeks and to come back then to also get the warts on my cervix frozen off. Is this normal? All the things I have been reading shows that freezing is outdated am I wrong? Has anyone out there had them freeze the abnormal cells off? I am so upset and confused not to mention when I went to schedule my follow up for treatment they couldnt get me in for almost a month..which isnt the 2 wks like the doc said. How am I going to wait a month to find out my results. I am going to go crazy by then. =(
    Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi again Sarmee,

You know, definitely WAIT until you get the results of your biopsy before you undergo any treatment. I find it odd that your doctor told you that you need cryo for a wart on your cervix. I had this last year and my doctor said no treatment was necessary as the biopsy results didn't show dyplasia, but showed warty tissue.

If your biopsy results come back as CIN I, then you don't need treatment now. All the docs do is wait and watch. However, depending on how aggressive or conservative your doctor is, be careful on what they recommend for CIN I. Most docs will NOT do anything to treat that as most CIN I spontaneously regresses. However, some docs are super aggressive and my best friend's mom (who is a gyno) said she had a patient who had a LEEP performed on her for her CIN I by a previous doctor. I heed my friend's mom's advice because I have had consults with pretty aggressive docs (wanting me to do a LEEP asap for my CIN I-II) and I felt pretty uncomfortable with that.

For all of us with dysplasia, for the most part, we have time on our side. The waiting definitely sucks, but we do NOT have to jump into any procedure as it takes years for dysplasia (even severe dysplasia) to progress to invasive cancer, and a lot of the time it never advances to that stage.

So definitely keep yourself informed and figure out what's going on with your particular situation. And remember, stay on top of your health and adopt an even healthier lifestyle to the one that you're living now. Take care!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

Thank you guys for your help. Yeah it seems my doc isnt explaining things very well to me. When I go back I will have to talk to her about all my questions I am going to write them down. The pap showed mild dysplasia, LGSIL. and this is what she wrote down after the colpo visit on a sheet of paper and said she saw two spots that she biopsied and called them flat warts when she looked at my cervix. Who knows I just wish I knew more and asked her more before I left. I havent been able to sleep lately because of the worrying and I have had lower back pain for the past 3 months that got bad and I had to get pain killers from my regular family doc. This was before I found out about dysplasia and I wonder if they are both associated..which freaks me out even more because I have frequent urination which is also a symptom of cancer. I dont understand why my doc scheduled cryo either before I even got my colpo results back..
    If it is just warty tissue why would the pap show dysplasia? Humm..What I read is that if you have hpv that has warts it isnt considered the high risk hpv. When I went for my annual pap I asked her to test me for hpv because I have heard so much about it I wanted to see if I had it. WEll the results showed high risk strain postive and low risk strain negative...weird huh? And I have never seen a wart on me or my hubby.

Last edited by sarmee; 08-14-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: n

Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
    piperpilot
    (male)

piperpilot HB User

Dr. cannot confirm PAP, by visual observation if lesion(s) is low-grade (LSIL) or high-grade until biopsy is read by pathologist. Dr. can guess, but cannot confirm because "grade" is result of how deep dysplastic cells are found in tissue. Moreover, some HPV subtype, specifically type 16, high-risk and the common type can cause BOTH condyloma (wart) and dysplasia. This may explain your results. LAgirl right--wait for biospy result before any treatment decision.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

THANKS FOR all your replies I am just going to wait til I get the results and then go from there...I will keep u guys posted when I get them

Closed Thread