It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• New To Boards: Scared about HGSIL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
    MyNameHere07
    (female)

MyNameHere07 HB User
    Question New To Boards: Scared about HGSIL

Hi, this is my first time posting on these boards. I have a question, that I guess I'm better off asking my doctor.

I recently was informed that my Pap smear came back abnormal. The test result says HGSIL, moderate dysplasia. My doctor recomended I go see a GYN right away for further testing. Here's my dilema. I have no health insurance but will very soon. I'm getting married and my fiance will be able to put me on his health insurance once we're married. The wedding is in less than 2 months.

Is this something I need to get on right away or can I wait until after the wedding so that insurance can help with the doctor visits? I don't have much money right now... but I also don't want to take chances with my health. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
    becks77
    (female)

becks77 HB User
    Re: New To Boards: Scared about HGSIL

when i had my first abnormal pap test, the test was done in september 06, it took two montsh fro my results (8 weeks), and then a further 6 week sfor my appointment (so 14 weeks in total)......my biopsy then came back as mild, hwoever i was put on six monthly review, to see if it went away of its own accord.

my next coposcopy and pap was scheduled for may, sadly i wasnt as lucky this tiem and it came back severe dysplasia, and HGSIL, i then had a leep scheduled which ws end of june,a nd that came back moderate dysplasia, HGSIL.

basically teh pap tests are only an indication of what might be wrong, and so it coudl eb that you actually have mild dysplasia, as oppose to moderate.

how regular have you had pap tests? ia sk as each country is different, here we are every three years. if you've had them regularly, then waiting an extra month or so should do no harm, but i';d ensure you have yoru appointment booked in ready - certainly here in England the waiting lists can be two months!

depending on their findings, particularly with mild dysplasia, and if it turns out to be moderate even in soem cases, gyneocologists will advise a "watch and see" approach, as dysplasia takes many years in most cases to change into cancer,a nd in some cases never does. mild dysplasia is also knwon to go away on its own in quiet a few cases; however when doinga "watch and see" most gynos will keep you under six monthly review, so that if it does develop tehy still have chance to "catch it" before it becomes a problem.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi there,

First of all, I know what you're going through mentally is a bit scary and ambiguous. The fact that not everyone in the US has healthcare is a deplorable fact, but that's another topic. But anyway, you can always get yourself checked out at Planned Parenthood for free, and I'm pretty sure they give colposcopies. So I would go down to your nearest Planned Parenthood and take your pap results and schedule a colposcopy with them. During that procedure, they'll swab your cervix with a solution to identify the abnormal areas-- they'll then take a biopsy of certain areas for the pathologists to analyze. The biopsy results will conclusively tell you if you have cervical dysplasia (precancerous cellular changes on your cervix).

Waiting two months should make no difference-- it takes up to 10 years for cervical dysplasia to turn into invasive cancer, but sometimes that doesn't even happen at all. So waiting 2 months is no big deal, in my opinion, but it just may drive you a bit crazy waiting 2 months to find out what's going on. I think it's ok to wait if you don't mind the not-knowing until you get insurance, but if you want to know now, I'd recommend going to Planned Parenthood. I hope it all turns out ok! Take care

Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
    AM6483
    (female)

AM6483 HB User

Have you been to the health department for your exams? When I didn't have insurance I went there for my paps. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction as to where to go and what to do with no insurance. Also, waiting two months really isn't too bad in the long run. Many times the gyn has you wait 3-6 months for a repeat pap after abnormal results so really you are right on schedule. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Closed Thread