It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
    clasact1956
    (female)

clasact1956 HB User
    Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer

My mom died of ovarian cancer in 1998. I am curious as to what are the symptoms to look for? They say if you catch it early you can be treated with success. I wonder if it is hereditery.

D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
    Suzi Q
    (female)

Suzi Q HB User
    Re: Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer

It is hereditary. The main problem with the symptoms of Ovarian cancer is that they often easiy missed or misdiagnosed. The symptoms are:

~Bloating
    ~pelvic or Abdominal pain
    ~difficulty eating or feelinf full quickly
    ~Urinary symptoms- urgency or frequency

Old 09-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
    Tropical Girl
    (female)

Tropical Girl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clasact1956 View Post
    My mom died of ovarian cancer in 1998. I am curious as to what are the symptoms to look for? They say if you catch it early you can be treated with success. I wonder if it is hereditery.

D
    One thing I have learnt is if you have anemia do not just let your Dr treat you will iron supplements. Anemia is a symptom of a disorder, you must find out what is causing the anemia. The longer you have anemia and the lower the red cell count drops, your body is losing its defence system to keep you healthy. This allows rogue cells to get out of hand and can lead to cancer.
    I had anemia for a couple of years and was given iron supplements which made me constipated and I battled nausea constantly, when I had enough of feeling this way I insisted my Dr find why I had anemia, tests showed I had fibroids but as I was close to menopause the Dr said to wait for it and then the fibroids would shrink away without a blood supply. After menopause the nausea worsened, I insisted more tests be done and a pelvic scan showed ovarian tumors. An immediate total hysterectomy followed, the tumors were fully contained to the ovaries and a good outcome is to be expected. I feel the anemia caused by the fribroids lowered my bodys defences and allowed the cancer cells to take hold in the ovaries. The only symptoms I could relate to the tumors was [being of a slim build] a slightly bloated tummy, the heavy feeling that is usually felt after childbirth and the gradual need to urinate more often and lesser amounts, down to a tbsp every 5mins.
    Do not delay reporting any symptoms to your Dr no matter how trivial they seem. If you have cancer in your family history do not miss regular pap smear tests also have pelvic scan done at the same time. It may cost money but it is cheaper than a funeral. As your Mum had oc then your chances are high to also have it. The more direct female relatives to have it the higer the chances rise. Keep yourself fit and active to increase your defence. Forgo alcohol, caffine, excessive fats and sugar. Keep positive thoughts.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
    clasact1956
    (female)

clasact1956 HB User

Thanks for your replies. I plan on going soon for a pelvic scan to ease my mind. I am in great health so I do have that going for me.

D

Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
    clasact1956
    (female)

clasact1956 HB User

I went to see a genetic counsler. She says I have a 5% chance of getting ovarian cancer due to my background. If it were over 10% she would suggest I seek other options. However, if I wanted, I could have my ovaries removed as I am older (51) an have no plans of having more children or have an ultrasound done.

I was told that by the time the syptoms occur, its usually too late, however there will be a new test coming out in about a year that may shed some light on catching it sooner.

Missy

Closed Thread