It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• "low" dysplasia/cone biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User
    "low" dysplasia/cone biopsy

My annual PAP showed "low" dysplasia, so I went in for the biopsies yesterday. As I am menopausal and the cervix turns a bit inward, the doctor also did high up in the cervix which he can not see through cystoscope. I am not concerned about cancer as I go every year, the result was "low", and the doctor said this is not serious. Having been through this before, I do understand that. If the biopsies come back with a problem, he will do cryosurgery which is fine. However, if it shows abnormal cells high up in the cervix, then he is recommending a cone biopsy to deal with it. That means outpatient with anestheia. Being the holidays, this has me very upset. He said that it could wait until after, but I am a worrier and can never relax with things hanging over my head. So my questions are:

Has anyone had a cone biopsy and if so how was the procedure and the recovery time?
    Why can't this be done with LEEP?
    Does a cone biopsy seem a bit excessive for something that came back as "low"?

After lots of health issues this past year, none serious but still unsettling, this was the final drop in the bucket, so any experiences or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
    torigirl
    (female)

torigirl HB User
    Re: "low" dysplasia/cone biopsy

Hi glowing4...

I had a CKC this past May for CIS. To be quite honest, it really was a breeze. Although I was a bit scared about having to "go under" for the procedure, I would have done it no other way.

I had the cone biopsy on Thursday and was pretty much up and about Friday night. I was given Vicodan(sp) but didn't even need to take any which was just fine with me. I was back at work on Monday and was very lucky to feel great after the emotional roller coaster I had been on.

For me, since it was a probability that some abnormal cells had been up in the cervical canal, the CKC was the best option to get rid of them all. Sounds to me like the doctor was just giving your all the options depending on what the biopsy says.

I'm sure other ladies will give you some other advice and experiences they have had...just wanted to give you my story...

I pray all goes well...

Take care and God bless...

Tori

Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Oh Tori, thank you so much for responding and responding so kindly. I really appreciate you sharing your story with me. Yes, it is an emotional roller coaster, especially on the heels of an emotional roller coaster filled year. While I am not really worried about cancer, this was the final "drop in the bucket" and left me feeling very shaky. I just don't want to go through something else. I am waiting on the biopsy results, but at this point I know that the PAP came in as low and that is most hopeful. Thank you again so very much. You have done a great deal to relieve my mind and your kindness is so, so appreciated. I am very glad that all went well for you and that you are just fine.

glowing4

Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
    austinl73
    (female)

austinl73 HB User

I have a cone biopsy coming up for CIN3 cells. I've already had the colposcopy and the LEEP. I talked to a gynecology oncology doctor about the difference between LEEP and cone and why it's always so iffy to diagnose what is is you have. (I've heard CIN3, pre-cancer, cancer). From what I understand the only difference between CIN1, CIN2, CIN3, pre-cancer, etc. is how deep the cells have travelled. The cells are called cancer when they invade the deepest layers and start to leave the cervical area and invade tissue outside your cervix.

Since the cervix has many grooves and deep pockets in it, when they do a LEEP procedure, it scrapes along the surface..often times missing what's deeper in these grooves. This is why they often want you to have a cone biopsy, since the sample they take during a cone is much deeper. Most often, it's not that you have cancer, it's just that the cells are deep and they don't want to take that chance that you might have it by not doing the cone.

If they do the cone and all the margins are clear..things are looking up. Then it's a pap smear every three months for awhile.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
    sherryrenee0423
    (female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User
    Unhappy emotional after cone biopsy

I was wondering if anyone else has been affected emotionally after having a cone biopsy. I'm not sure why I feel this way. I should be relieved that my doctor removed the 'bad' cells from my cervix, but I feel damaged. I keep bursting into tears and I'm really bloated. anyone else had this reaction to such a simple procedure?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
    Daisy108
    (female)

Daisy108 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glowing4 View Post
    My annual PAP showed "low" dysplasia, so I went in for the biopsies yesterday. As I am menopausal and the cervix turns a bit inward, the doctor also did high up in the cervix which he can not see through cystoscope. I am not concerned about cancer as I go every year, the result was "low", and the doctor said this is not serious. Having been through this before, I do understand that. If the biopsies come back with a problem, he will do cryosurgery which is fine. However, if it shows abnormal cells high up in the cervix, then he is recommending a cone biopsy to deal with it. That means outpatient with anestheia. Being the holidays, this has me very upset. He said that it could wait until after, but I am a worrier and can never relax with things hanging over my head. So my questions are:

Has anyone had a cone biopsy and if so how was the procedure and the recovery time?
    Why can't this be done with LEEP?
    Does a cone biopsy seem a bit excessive for something that came back as "low"?

After lots of health issues this past year, none serious but still unsettling, this was the final drop in the bucket, so any experiences or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

glowing4

Closed Thread