It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical Glandular Cells - Anyone got a story?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
    annamaL23
    (female)

annamaL23 HB User
    Lightbulb Atypical Glandular Cells - Anyone got a story?

I've had HPV for years and gotten many atypical squamous cell reports, even had a LEEP procedure in 2001.
    Last year I had my first normal Pap result, and was much relieved. However, just last month, I got results of atypical squamous AND atypical Glandular cells.

I haven't had the opportunity to review these results with the doctor yet, and am very nervous. Every story I hear that begins with AGC ends with hysterectomy (i'm 27, this is not my cup of tea).

Anyone out there who can shed some light on ACG, or share their story?
    I'd be much comforted to hear from anyone about it.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Atypical Glandular Cells - Anyone got a story?

Hi Annama, you might not want to read my story because it *does* end in a hyst. I was diagnosed with AGC back in March from an ECC. Let me back up.

I had my annual pap last December. When the test came back, my doc said my pap came back normal (as it has since I was 19 and I am 45). I've had a pap EVERY year! In Dec, she also did the HPV/dna test (for the first time). It came back high risk HPV. I freaked out and after 2 appointments with her just to discuss the HPV, she said we could bypass the wait-3-months route and go straight for the colposcopy with possible biopsy.

I went to a gyn for the colpo. When she looked, there was nothing on the exocervix to biopsy, so she did an ECC "just to check." It came back AGC and adenocarcinoma in situ. In April, I had a cold knife cone biopsy. It came back adenocarcinoma Ia1. My lesion (only 1) was 1.6mm wide x 1mm deep (a dime is 1mm thick). That is invasive enough to be invasive.

I went to a gyn/oncologist. She said I was going to have a hyst "one way or the other" then presented several routes. One was to wait 6 months, re-ECC, then do the hyst. The other was to do another cone biopys, then do the hyst. The last one was to go straight for a radial hyst.

I voted for a cone, then hyst. They happened on a Tuesday and Wednesday (back to back days). The second cone showed another adenocarcinoma Ia1. This one was less than 1mm across, but 1mm deep.

I had a total LAVH on Wednesday. If the second lesion had been deeper than 1mm, then I'd have had to have had a radical hyst. When the pathology came back from the hyst, there were "no residual tumors" and the pelvic wash came back clear (so did my uterus). Thank God. Literally!

I am 45 and have never had children (partially by chance, partially by choice).

I am SOOOO thankful the cancer was found so early. I don't need chemo or radiation. If the lesions had been any deeper, then I might have had to have had one of the other.

While I know the diagnosis is really distressing (you have NO IDEA how stressing it was for me), the thought that if I had waited 6-12 months more it would have been to a stage 2 (which requires a radical hyst, lymph node disection, and possibly chemo/radiation) . . . I'm thankful!

I wish you well. This is difficult and you are young. (((hugs)))

Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
    annamaL23
    (female)

annamaL23 HB User

Thanks for your response, Pickle Eyes.
    It's good to know that even in a cancerous state, you were able to be cured.
    Although I'm still distressed at the thought of losing my fertility, the stories and conversations on this board are putting things in perspective - it's really a matter of survival, not preference.
    Still haven't had the follow up/options talk with my doc yet, but I will post again once that happens.
    Again, thank you so much.
    Peace~

Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
    BE 123
    (female)

BE 123 HB User

AnnamalL27, did you have your followup? What did the doctor recommend?

Closed Thread