It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Cone Biopsy - Not Doing 2 Well

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
    Lois Griffin
    (female)

Lois Griffin HB User
    Angry Cone Biopsy - Not Doing 2 Well

I had an appointment with the Dysplasia Clinic at the hospital last Friday (Oct 3) for what I thought would be a typical "scrapping" of my abnormal cells which were confirmed in 2 previous pap tests.

It was kinda cool, watching it on the monitor until he pointed out this large white round shape on my cervix. He told me to look away from the screen and to cough, when I did this he sliced it off, I guess that's what's called the "cold knife cone biopsy", by the way, I was under no anesthesia when this occurred. I then saw him place the "sample" in a specimen container and he then proceeded to spread some type of yellow goop on my cervix to stop the bleeding. He then said your good to go and gave me a follow-up appointment in 6 months....that was it!

Fast forward to Tuesday, Oct. 7th...I took myself to the Emergency unit at the hospital with severe pains and abdominal swelling (which I still have today). The Doctor on duty gave me a pelvic exam and told me that I had a cone biopsy done but all tests including the internal ultra sound came back negative. The only thing he could do was to put me on Naproxen and Talwin for the pain...it's not working. I can't walk for too long, I'm still bloated and I still have pain and vaginal bleeding. Also, he only gave me a week off work, I'm to start back on Tuesday.

I don't know what to do next...HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
    BE 123
    (female)

BE 123 HB User
    Re: Cone Biopsy - Not Doing 2 Well

Oh my goodness. Do you have a fever? Head straight for that colposcopy clinic or the ER if you do. May be an infection, which you do NOT want hampering your recovery.

I hope that was just a small LEEP and not a true cone biopsy. How big was the specimen? Not that it makes a difference but were you at least under local anesthesia?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
    Lois Griffin
    (female)

Lois Griffin HB User

No I was not under any anesthesia and yes it was a true cone biopsy. Good news...I have no fever, that's the only symptom I don't have.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
    BE 123
    (female)

BE 123 HB User

That is strange...the absence of fever certainly doesn't point towards infection, but the rest of your symptoms surely do.

It boggles the mind that your doctor took a CONE BIOPSY with NO anesthesia. I am so sorry this happened to you. Most doctors do a cone biopsy under general anesthesia in the OR.

I would stay off your feet, don't lift a thing, and nothing in or even near the vagina. Don't even take baths. Common sense things you probably already know, but...

Sorry I'm not much help. Maybe Pickle Eyes can help you some more, she had two cones (I think) before her hyst. I'll be having a CKC in a few weeks.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Lois. Brieaukirsch is correct, I had 2 cold knife cone biopsies prior to my hysterectomy (the first one was in April and then one the day before the hyst).

It sounds to me like your doctor actually did a LEEP which cuts out a cone shaped piece of the cervix (removes the tissue in the cervical os/canal (the hole of the donut)). Do you remember smelling flesh burning? I've heard many women who have had a LEEP say they smelled that.

The LEEP cuts out a cone shaped piece using an electrified wire/loop to cut the biopsy. It also cauterizes the living tissue to reduce bleeding. The Cold Knife Cone uses a knife to cut the flesh. My doctor ran the wire used in a LEEP after my first cone to cauterize and reduce bleeding.

Prior to that procedure, did your doctor numb the cervix?

The yellow solution is called Monsel's solution. It goes on the color of a spicy mustard, brownish yellow. After it mixes with blood, it looks like used coffee grounds. It is normal.

Have you seen copies of your pathology reports? If not, I highly recommend you get copies, even going back a year or two if you want to. It will help you understand what is going on.

I hope you are doing better today! Check back in with us, ok?

Closed Thread