It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Colpo results

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Lynae76
(female)

Lynae76 HB User
Colpo results

CLINICAL DATA:
ASCUS Pap with positive high risk positive HPV screen.
GROSS DESCRIPTION:
A) Received in formalin designated "3 o'clock
cervical biopsy SCJ" is a 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.1 cm portion of
dark brown, soft material. The container and lid are
carefully examined, and no additional tissue is found.
The specimen is wrapped and entirely submitted in
cassette A1.
B) Received in formalin designated "9 o'clock
cervical biopsy" is a 0.3 x 0.2 x 0.1 cm portion of
pale tan, firm tissue which is wrapped and entirely
submitted in cassette B1.
C) Received in formalin designated "12 o'clock" is a
0.3 x 0.2 x 0.1 cm piece of tan, soft, irregular tissue
which is wrapped and submitted intact in cassette C1.
D) Received in formalin designated "ECC" is a 0.5 x
0.5 x 0.1 cm aggregate of brown and mucoid material
which is filtered, wrapped, and submitted in cassette
D1.
HD/mlb
FINAL DIAGNOSIS:
A) Cervix, biopsy at 3 o'clock: Predominantly blood
elements. Focal small fragments of squamous cells with
atypia of uncertain significance.
B) Cervix, biopsy at 9 o'clock: Squamous atypia of
uncertain significance. Marked acute and chronic
cervicitis.
C) Cervix, biopsy at 12 o'clock: Atypical squamous
metaplasia of uncertain significance. Acute and chronic
cervicitis.
D) Endocervix, curettage: Scant, highly fragmented,
focally inflamed endocervical tissue with mildly
atypical squamous metaplasia of uncertain significance.

Of course, I'm clueless as to what all this means. I have a follow up to discuss the results with my doc tomorrow morning. But right now I'm in so much pain it's not even funny. Yesterday evening, I got a little crampy & figured I was starting a period. That's an understatement! Out of nowhere came the horrible pain in my back & legs. I went to the bathroom and when I sat down, there was sooooo much blood. I passed a clot the size of a large grapefruit along with many smaller ones. Now every time I go to the bathroom, blood just seems to run out of me. I go through this every couple of months. So regardless of what the test results mean, I'm telling my doc he has to do SOMETHING. I can't go through this anymore. I'm miserable, I'm scared, and I'm sick of dealing with all this. Can you tell I woke up cranky this morning?

Ok PickleEyes, I'm ready for you to pick this apart!!

Last edited by Lynae76; 10-14-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
mommyandwifey
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
Re: Colpo results

Hi there. I'm no expert but it seems there is simply an infection of the cervix. Infections can cause abnormal paps. I suspect your Dr will want to prescribe something and then repeat the pap to see if the Rx worked.

Having said that, I believe you mentioned you were HPV positive. They didn't seem to mention anything further on whether HPV was found in the samples submitted. I suppose absent a comment...maybe it was not. They also didn't mention "dysplasia" which is good. So it sounds like an atypical mild abnormality possibly caused by a cervical infection.

I'm interested in what the other ladies have to say. Take care.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Lynae76
(female)

Lynae76 HB User

Here is the positive HPV test result:

********** THIS IS A REVISED OR CORRECTED REPORT
**** PLEASE SEE END OF REPORT FOR DETAIL OF CORRECTIONS
PATIENT HISTORY:
LMP: 08/27/2008
SPECIMEN SOURCE:
A) Endo/ecto cervical
CYTOLOGIC IMPRESSION:
Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance
(ASC-US).
SAMPLING ADEQUACY:
Endocervical cells present.
COMMENTS:
Mild squamous atypia in the setting of partly obscuring
acute inflammation, favor reactive etiology. HPV
testing will be performed and reported as an addendum.

COMMENTS:
HPV DNA Test Results with High Risk Probe
________________________________________ _
Positive *
________________________________________ ___
* A positive test result for high risk HPV types on a
cervical cytology specimen indicates infection with any
of 13 high risk HPV types. HPV infection is very
common in the general population and will often resolve
with no complications. Studies have demonstrated that
a subset of patients who are positive for high risk
cervical HPV types and with ASCUS pap smears can have
underlying high grade dysplasia (HSIL). Immediate
referral for colposcopy and biopsy is recommended in
these patients. [Manos, M, et al. Identifying women
with cervical neoplasia: Using human papillomavirus
DNA testing for equivocal Papanicolaou results. JAMA,
1999, 281(17):1605-1610.]
The Hybrid Capture II microplate method for the
detection of HPV was used with probes for the following
high risk HPV types:
16/18/31/33/35/39/45/51/52/56/59/68. [Lorincz, A.
Hybrid Capture method for detection of human
papillomavirus DNA in clinical specimens. J Obstet
Gynaecol Res, 1996, 7:1-5].

Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Lynae76
(female)

Lynae76 HB User

Since I've been up for a couple of hours, I figured I'd update on what's going on. Ugh...

The clotting is driving me nuts. Every 15 minutes or so I can feel it when one is about to pass. My uterus starts contracting and I feel this sort of rush of fluid. They're ranging in size from a 50 cent piece on up to about the size of a plum this morning. Smaller than last night's little "escapade" but by no means "normal," though normal for me as of late. And with them comes a lot of blood, turning the toilet water RED. The heating pad is not helping my back or legs. I even broke down & took a Vicodin, which is doing very little for the pain, just making me feel nauseous. That's why I very rarely take pain killers. I have a very high pain tolerance but this is just becoming unbearable. It is no exaggeration to say it feels like labor. And I have to use pads cuz I just had the colpo done...ick. I'm just so TIRED today...I even called into work. I don't normally do that. I'll go in sick as a dog.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
mommyandwifey
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

So sorry you're feeling this way but truly I understand. Between the physical issues and the mental concerns this presents, it simply wreaks havoc on us. Maybe it's good you're at home if for no other reason but to get some much needed rest.

Ok...so it sounds like they've confirmed HPV. Although they also note cervicitis so I can't tell if the "abnormality" is caused by the cervicitis, the HPV or both. I suppose they may take a wait and watch approach since dysplasia is not present unless I missed it. They may try an Rx to treat the cervicitis and then repeat. Finally, they may go to a procedure (LEEP/LOOP). Either way, you can plan on going in for repeats at least every 6 mos to check things out. How long has this been going on for you and if you don't mind, what's your age range? Both may play into your treatment plan. For me someone recommended that since I've been going through this for over a year now that maybe it's time to try something to bring this to closure instead of going back and forth with this.

I hope this helps. Take care, post soon and I'll ck back on you today. Hopefully some others stop by to offer their feedback too!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Lynae76
(female)

Lynae76 HB User

I'm sick of meds for cervicitis...I have chronic BV so that was no shock. It seems like I'm dealing with one infection after another constantly and it's getting old. And the rest of it has been going on for about 3-4 years now. My periods started getting very light for a while then BAM...this constant clotting & spotting in between. I forgot what a normal period is like. I seem to have them about every 3 weeks now and they're always so heavy with the huge clots. I just want them GONE, ya know?

I'd like to go a more radical route with treatment for a few reasons. My aunt had a hysterectomy 3 years ago in her 40's for stage 2 cervical cancer after having similar symptoms to mine for a couple years. I have been having problems with all my "girly parts" since I was 17. And I'm 32 years old, have 3 kids, and had my tubes tied already. I don't want any more children. I don't want any more problems or painful periods. I don't want any more clots. I'm just over it. I just wonder if a doctor would understand that & do something more than just the "watchful waiting" approach...

I'm sorry if I sound so down. I really am though. I'm just so frustrated and was actually hoping they'd find something that would warrant a hysto. I know that may sound a little extreme but I'm sick & tired of being sick & tired all the time.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
mommyandwifey
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User

Lynae,

I can hear your frustration and I totally understand. We all just want it over already! I asked my Dr if she could "just take it out". I'm 37 with 2 children. Although I just had a miscarriage and would've loved my baby dearly, I'm pretty sure I'm done now. Her response was a resounding "NO". Considering my medical history (healthy), she explained that a hysto for an ASCUS result is a stretch but back to you. I think if there are compelling reasons, your Dr may entertain the idea but the key word here is "compelling" and unfortunately "I'm tired of it" may not do it.

Again, I understand your frustration but be happy its NOT something more serious that would require more drastic measures. Each day will get better although it doesn't seem like it now.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Oh goodness Lynae! Those clots sound distressing! Yikes!

From what I understand of your pathology report, it sounds like you have some cervical changes that are probably attributed to HPV. They are definately things to keep an active watch over. Let your doctor know you want to be aggressive with this.

I also suggest that if they have to do another biopsy like a LEEP that you ask the doctor about doing a cold knife cone biopsy and while they are in there to do a D&C and an endometrial biopsy. All of those clots sound like they might be coming from fibroids or something like that.

All I know is if you are bleeding so much that you are filling a sanitary pad every hour, then you need to go to the hospital.

I'm sorry I don't know more than that. There are some other women here who know a lot more than I do. I hope they come into this thread very soon! In the mean time (((((hugs)))))) to you!

Take care and write back!

(and just so you know, I only check in in the evenings, so that's why I didn't reply earlier in the day)

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 10-14-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Lynae76
(female)

Lynae76 HB User

Boy, after re-reading what I said yesterday, I really WAS in a cranky mood! Sooooo...please forgive me ladies, for sounding so down and thank you all for your responses.

I'm obviously very happy the results came back as they did and not any worse. After reading so many other women's stories on here and seeing how bad it could have been, I'm very relieved. It's just my family history and all these other problems that got me down. I've learned that this multitude of information we have so readily available to us on the internet can be a blessing, as well as a curse. My diligence in researching online has helped us to diagnose a rare blood disorder in my son when the doctors were out of ideas of where to go for testing but it also put a little more fear in me than needed as to my own problems. Honestly, I think I was just feeling a little overdramatic given everything going on in my life right now. My husband had a heart attack last year at 38 years old and needs another heart surgery, we've gone through h*ll with our son and the medical problems he's had, and I've been trying to hold us all together & play the "supermom" roll so I've let my own health take a back burner to everyone else. And adding to it all, my mother in law lives with us and I am her sole caregiver on top of working full time and going to school full time. It's like having a 4th child in the house sometimes. An abnormal result for me just became almost too much to handle.

So all that said, and I'm sorry if I got a little off topic (bad habit I have sometimes, lol), I'm very much relieved that I don't have cancer. Now the key lies in stopping these awful periods that have been going on for so long. My mom had a uterine ablasion done last year due to very similar symptoms with her period. I'm not sure what the underlying problem was, but I'm wondering if that may be an option for me. I know that filling a tampon (or pad this month because of the colpo only being last week) an hour is not good but I've been going through it for so long, and compared to the problems of everyone else in my house it just seemed so unimportant. I mean my husband and son have life threatening problems. This just seemed to pale in comparison. I also know the clots are WAY too big. So today at my follow up, I plan to ask the doctor what options I have. I really don't want to go on the pill, which I have a feeling he might suggest. I tried that for 3 months and although it reduced my spotting in between periods, it didn't decrease the heavy flow plus it gave me migraines, which is why I went off of it to begin with years ago. Plus I'm a smoker and getting close to that 35 year mark. I'm wondering if he'd be willing to put me back on the depo shot again. I know it causes bone loss but I'm thinking that may be the lesser of 2 evils at this point...or the ablasion. I dunno. Now I'm just rambling out of frustration, boredom, and not nearly enough caffeine yet today. lol

Anyways, after all that rambling, I really do want to thank all of you for your support and thoughts. Checking the board over the course of the day yesterday kept me sane. Even though you don't want to hear that someone else has problems, sometimes it just feels good knowing you're not alone. And now, I am off to get the kidlets ready for school...

Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lynae, you have nothing to ask forgiveness for! We are here to help you however we can and offer whatever support we can. Don't worry about it! It is pretty common for women who come here to have wonderful supportive families, but the family doesn't understand what is really going on. I believe sometimes you just have to talk about it with someone who has already been down that road or is on a very similar road. It helps. It just does!

I agree with what you said about the information on the internet being a blessing and a curse at the same time. Back in March and April of this year I was reading this board (and another discussion board I found) like a maniac. I read any post I could get my hands on. Finally, I realized I was increasing my own anxiety by reading everything. I finally decided to ONLY read posts about my type of surgery (LAVH) and who had my diagnosis (cervical cancer). It cut down the number of threads I read per night, but it sure helped relieve my stress. I got pretty good about opening a thread, reading a sentence, then hitting the BACK button so I didn't have to read any further.

Now . . . how did your doctor's appointment go?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
Lynae76
(female)

Lynae76 HB User

Well thanks for your understanding. It's good not to feel alone in a situation that no one else I know can understand.

The appointment went great. The doc is just going to do another pap in 6 months and only do a colposcopy if the results come back abnormal again and then follow up again in another 6 months and definitely do a colpo at that one. When I talked to him about my heavy periods and clotting, he agreed to put me back on depo, but then we decided to go with an all progesterone pill instead. I told him I just wanted to stop the periods altogether and he was understanding and willing to do that for me. He said the pill (Jolivette) would have the same effect on me as depo did years ago, but with less risk of bone loss. He still advised me to start taking calcium and vitamin D supplements though. Plus he refilled my script for my inhalers and gave me another one to use every day so that hopefully I won't use the other ones so often. So it was a really productive visit & I walked away a happy camper! No more Aunt Flo! Woohoo!! *does a happy dance*

Old 10-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad your appointment went well. Yay!

Closed Thread