It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical glandular cells of unknown origin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
    saltwaterwolf
    (female)

saltwaterwolf HB User
    Atypical glandular cells of unknown origin

My Story...

Had atypical glandular cells of unknown origin 6 mos ago on a pap. Then had colposcopy & endometrial biopsy's that were normal. She said repeat pap in 6 mos.

Repeat pap again shows AGCUO. Pelvic ultrasound shows: large fibroids, normal looking ovaries & endometrium. My ca 125 is 44.

I am 50 with regular periods that are getting quite heavy & I am anemic even with diet & suppliments.

My Dr is reccomending TAH so she can do peritoneial washes abdominally to check for abnormal cells. And removal of my ovaries.

Thoughts and/or your story...

Thanks & Blessings...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Atypical glandular cells of unknown origin

Hmmmm, I'm wondering. I has your doctor performed an colposcopy? an ECC (endocervical curettage)? Since you have AGCUO, I would think the gyno would order a colpo and ECC. The glandular cells are high up in the cervical canal (near the uterus). Squamous cells are on the "outside" of the cervix. It is more difficult to detect atypical glandular cells because of their location - that is why ECCs are typicall ordered for AGCUO (or other glandular cell atypia).

I suggest you call your doctor's office back and discuss the next step. it seems to me that a hysterectomy is a huge job from AGCUO. Now, if you are thinking a hyst for the fibroids, that would make sense (if you are having pain and/or heavy bleeding and/or irregular bleeding). But with the AGC problem, I'd want my doctor to look closer at what is going on. If you need to, schedule another appointment just to talk about your options and what the next step is.

I hope that helps a bit!

Closed Thread