It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Had LOOP Cone Biopsy yesterday...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
    lindsroc
    (female)

lindsroc HB User
    Had LOOP Cone Biopsy yesterday...

It was pretty unexpected. I thought I was going in just for a consultation with the new gyn/onc and ended up having the procedure done! I dont know the difference between LEEP/LOOP/Cone biopsy. She did the procedure in office, she said theyre all the same pretty much. So she ended up doing the LOOP (LEEP?) and removing a cone shaped piece of cervix. since there were abnormal cells inside the cervix as well. she seemed confident that she got it all, but we will get the results in about 2 weeks. I love the Dr., she really took a lot of time to go over everything with me. Unlike the previous Dr i saw. originally i was going to be given general anesthesia for the LEEP. This dr actually talked me out of it. And I was glad she did. I was reallllly nervous but it wasnt so bad! The only thing that hurt was the initial shots to numb the cervix. After that it only took about 5 minutes and she was done. I didnt feel a thing. I will tell you the initial shot hurt pretty bad though! All in all, Im glad I went with the in office procedure. Now, just hoping for clear margins!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Had LOOP Cone Biopsy yesterday...

Hi Lindsroc, I'm glad to hear you are doing well after your LOOP. I hope you are still doing well. Be sure you take it easy. Don't lift heavy things, rest a lot, generally pamper yourself.

I think a LEEP and LOOP are the same thing. The LEEP is done with a loop wire that cuts and burns at the same time. It removes a cone shaped tissue. Either of those can be done with local anesthesia. The cold knife cone biopsy also removes a cone shaped piece, but it is done under general anesthesia. The edges from a CKC are preserved, so the doctor can tell more about the extent of lesions and margins. Many doctors say the CKC removes more tissue than a LEEP/LOOP/LLETZ. I don't know for sure.

I *do* know that the LEEP/LOOP can also be used to perform a "top hat" cone. I don't know a lot about it, but I think it removes more of the exocervix than a LEEP or CKC.

Anyway, take care of yourself and write back!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
    666ml
    (female)

666ml HB User
    Re: Had LOOP Cone Biopsy yesterday...

Well, I am glad you are getting taken care of!! I know things are harder to deal with if you aren't comfortable with the care you are getting! Get lot's of rest and keep your fluid intake up! I will be hoping that your pathology results are good! Keep us posted on how things go!

Take care!

Closed Thread