It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

COLPO and PAP don't match...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
leslie0613
(female)

leslie0613 HB User
Lightbulb COLPO and PAP don't match...

When I was 18 I had my first PAP and it was abnormal... sometime after that they did a COLPO and that too was abnormal w/ mild dysplasia. Shortly after that, they performed a LEEP.

Now I'm in the military and in Feb. 2006, there was another abnormal PAP. May 2006 the dr. performed a COLPO, shortly after that... another LEEP.

Since then, I've had 1 reg. pap. 6 months ago, I had another COLPO... findings: asicus. 2 weels ago another PAP... finding, mild dysplasia...

So, I got a call from my doctor with these results (above)... she said because my tests have been so inconsistent with each other then i need another LEEP from a third party....

Now that you have all that info, here's my question... my family (mom, aunt, grandma) has all had hysterectomy's by 27 due to cancer... should I be worried, I'm 25 with no kids?

Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: COLPO and PAP don't match...

Well, cervical cancer (if, worst case scenario) is not genetic. It is caused by HPV.

Is your doctor suggesting you get a civilian doctor or go for another opinion? Have you ever gotten copies of your pathology reports (from the paps, the colpos and the LEEP)? If not, I suggest you request those. I suggest you ask if you should just see another gyn or if you should see a gyn/oncologist. Ask what the next test/biopsy would be. Since your results aren't consistent, then it is possible they'll want to do a cold knife cone to get a better idea of how the cervix looks. A CKC gives a cleaner tissue sample than a LEEP does.

If you want to preserve your ability to have a baby, then you need to make sure your doctor knows that.

I suggest you start making a list of questions to take with you (for your phone call AND for your next doctor's appointment). Leave room to write the answers. I forget my questions if I don't write them down.

Other than that, I'm not sure what is going on. I *am* impressed that your doctor is sending you to someone else to see if they can figure out what is going on.

Take care and write back.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
leslie0613
(female)

leslie0613 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
Well, cervical cancer (if, worst case scenario) is not genetic. It is caused by HPV.

Is your doctor suggesting you get a civilian doctor or go for another opinion? Have you ever gotten copies of your pathology reports (from the paps, the colpos and the LEEP)? If not, I suggest you request those. I suggest you ask if you should just see another gyn or if you should see a gyn/oncologist. Ask what the next test/biopsy would be. Since your results aren't consistent, then it is possible they'll want to do a cold knife cone to get a better idea of how the cervix looks. A CKC gives a cleaner tissue sample than a LEEP does.

If you want to preserve your ability to have a baby, then you need to make sure your doctor knows that.

I suggest you start making a list of questions to take with you (for your phone call AND for your next doctor's appointment). Leave room to write the answers. I forget my questions if I don't write them down.

Other than that, I'm not sure what is going on. I *am* impressed that your doctor is sending you to someone else to see if they can figure out what is going on.

Take care and write back.
Since I'm leaving Washington and moving to Mississippi, my doctor will just be sending my consult there and wants me to f/u in 3 months. But if i were staying here, she would have had me see another doctor anywho. I'm not sure if it is something i should be surprised about because I work with her and the military has some great health care. I say that because they would make all attempts to reconstruct my cervix for a child if need be.

CKC? Does it hurt more than a LEEP?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

CKCs are done under general anesthesia whereas many doctors do the LEEP under local anesthesia. I've only had CKCs, so I can't compare them. From what I've read, I'd rather have the CKC (like I had) than to be awake during a LOOP/LEEP. Yikes!

The CKC preserves the edges of the tissue sample so the doctor can look for the margins of the lesion(s) all the way to the sample edge. The LEEP burns/singes the tissue sample and the doctor can't see the margins to the edges.

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread