It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Post Leep bleeding

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Jennyg23
(female)

Jennyg23 HB User
Question Post Leep bleeding

Hi am I brand new to this board and to start off thank god for you all. I have spent hours reading here and you have anwsered more questions then anyone. I had a Leep procedure done on 11/17. The first week went by with absolutely no issues, I was back at work 2 days later. But 9 days after the leep I began to bleed pretty heavy. I went to my Gyn office and he applied some yellow mustard looking stuff and it seemed to have stopped. A few hours after I got home I had bloody brownish discharge, I dismissed it but starting the next morning it went bright red. So Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday I have bleed like there is no tomorrow. I haven't gotten to the one pad an hour but I have also been in bed the entire time per doctors orders. He wanted to let Nature take its course & put me on Bedrest. I am now going back in the smorning to the GYN to see what is going on. I am pretty frustrated because I feel like he dismissed the bleeding really quick. Has anybody ever bleed crazy like this? it would be 2 weeks to early for a period and I literally can sit on the toliet and it just drips. How much blood can you really lose??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
drtbkchk
(female)

drtbkchk HB User
Re: Post Leep bleeding

WOW!!! I have the exact same problem... not to mention I'm new to this as of today and have been doing a lot of web searches as well!!!!
-I had the LEEP done on 11/14
-I was fine up until I had my first post op appointment a week later on Thurs 11/20
-then the following friday 11/21 I noticed watery discharge only bleeding to follow on sunday 11/21.
-I called my OB on wednesday 11/26, went in and saw her, she applied the cauterizing liquid you mentioned and put me on antibiotics because i had a small infection because a piece of my scab fell off, I'm thinking that was due to the first post op, maybe she examined me too early and knocked a little piece off.
-My bleeding stopped for a few hours then I bled heavily.
It has now tapered down. She wants to see me again because she thinks that I'm bleeding from my uterus (period) but I'm nursing my 3 month old still. I'm not going in because I want to let nature take its course like your doc suggested. I just had a baby, just started feeling great, and now this happens. I'm very fustrated, but glad to see that there are great posts like this that I can talk to!!!! Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Last edited by drtbkchk; 12-01-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Jennyg23
(female)

Jennyg23 HB User

I followed up with the doctor the smorning and off course my body likes to be difficult so the bleeding stopped for the first time in 5 days on the way to the doc. Ironic lol. He did not want to exaim me because I was afraid to trigger the bleeding again. So just like your doc he is guessing it is my period. So lets hope its over! I am spotting a bit today but not the bright red like the last few days. I go back in a week so if there is any new developments I will let you know. Good luck and congrats on the little one!!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
BE 123
(female)

BE 123 HB User

I had a top hat laser ablation 3 1/2 weeks ago, so not quite an excision, but more than a simple ablation, and something very similar happened to me: profuse FOUL (and I mean FOUL)-smelling watery discharge starting day 2, then spotting after a week of profuse watery discharge, then outright bright red bleeding (the drip drip drip in the toilet, afraid to strain to go #2 dripping, and small clots). Eventually I ended up in the ER and was told there were purple welts all over my cervix, was discharged, kept bleeding, couldn't even do light exercise like fast walking, went to another gyn, got put on antibiotics, and started my period so I don't know what's what but am hopeful that once my period stops I am all done bleeding.

But I'm starting to think this is vaguely normal. Remember healing differs from person to person to begin with. I do know that it is normal to bleed about 7 days after LEEP because that is when the scab falls off. But in what quantity really depends on who you talk to. For example, my laser gyn said laser should not cause bleeding at all and to go to the ER, but they didn't seem at all concerned there and said any procedure/local trauma can cause bleeding. But I do think that the "one pad an hour" rule is very excessive. That's a heavy period or more, and while the cervix is vascular, no procedure should cause THAT much bleeding.

Last edited by BE 123; 12-01-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi ladies, Brie gave some great information. My only two thoughts were "the scab can fall off and bleed after a week to 10 days" and "maybe the period came early". I don't know. I *do* know that you know your body, and if what you are bleeding is heavier than even a regular period, then I'd suggest you get in to see the doctor. If the office can't see you, then go to urgent care of ER.

I hope that the bleeding was just your periods. And I hope your doctors take your concerns seriously. Let us know how you are doing!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
drtbkchk
(female)

drtbkchk HB User

Thank you for all your help... I feel much better knowing that there is light at the end of this tunnel. I'm glad your bleeding stopped jenny, and very ironic it stopped before your doc appt, that was good he didnt examine you because it could've triggered it again. My mom's gyn a long time ago when she was prego with me said she didnt want to examine her when she was spotting because she didnt want to trigger more bleeding or a miscarriage, sometimes best to let your bod do its own thing...
If it is my period... Darn! I was hoping to get away with not having one while nursing LOL... oh well, joys of being a woman!!! :-)

Last edited by drtbkchk; 12-02-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Jennyg23
(female)

Jennyg23 HB User

Aww so true!! Being a woman is so much fun!!! I will say I do not miss nursing at all! LOL my son is 5 and I am definatley loving this age, all are great but hes like my little buddy now. I may have to re-post this because I have more questions and do not know how this works but does anybody have any issues with Night Sweats? Ive had them for about a year now and they seem to get worse over time. I woke up last night and my feet were freezing cold but my body was drenched in sweat? Anything? If I wasn't only 27 I would think menopause lol.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
drtbkchk
(female)

drtbkchk HB User

I went to the doc... I expressed my concern about being examined again causing more bleeding. Doc explained that the bleeding came from the scab coming off too early not the examination. I let her know how reluctant I was to be examined but she ensured me it would be fine, she said there should be minimal bleeding if that just spotting after a LEEP. We did an examination and I'm 80% healed... and I'm bleeding because I have started my period... which is odd to me because I'm nursing... however, she put me on a special birth control for nursing mommies... I think its called Macrinor (sp?). Doc said bleeding should stop next week. I'm a little bummed because I was hoping to get away without menstrating while nursing but I think the LEEP may have caused the early onset of this.... just another day of being a woman... take care all!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
Jennyg23
(female)

Jennyg23 HB User

Fantastic! Happy to hear that everything went well. Take Care.

Closed Thread