It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• colposcopy, pelvic exam and carcinoma in situ questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
    beergoogle
    (female)

beergoogle HB User
    colposcopy, pelvic exam and carcinoma in situ questions

Yup another one, sorry! My smear showed severe dyskariosis in addition to me having many symptoms all relating to cancer - most notably breakthrough bleeding, post coital bleeding, and constant discharge - so I was sent for a colposcopy. When the obgyn was performing the operation he said it looked like carcinoma in situ (am due for results next week though) but was insistent that this did not necessarily mean cancer.. although personally I think he was just trying to sugar the pill. He did a lot of feeling around inside me and pressing outside on my pelvic area and asked if it hurt. I told him it didn't and he said this was a good sign. He also said that my cervix and uterus felt soft, which was also a good sign because if the cancer was advanced they would be hard. Just wanna know can anyone verify this at all? And why am I exhibiting the aforementioned symptoms if my cancer is only an early stage? I apologize for all the questions. I've just kinda lost my bearings right now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: colposcopy, pelvic exam and carcinoma in situ questions

Hi again, Beergoogle!

From what you've written it sounds like precancerous cells. The Carcinoma In Situ is still considered precancerous (by most people), it is the highest level of precancer, though. Are you still waiting for results, or has your doctor told you what your next step is?

I was diagnosed with adenocracinoma in situ after my colpo with ECC (thank God for the ECC or we *still* wouldn't know I had cancer). I then had a cold knife cone biopsy which diagnosed adenocarcinoma Ia1. My lesion (they only found one during the CKC) was 1.2mm across and 1mm deep (a dime is 1mm thick). From that I went to a gyn/oncologist (which I HIGHLY suggest you see since you have severe dyskariosis ). She explained my treatment and surgical options. I had to have one more cone biopsy, then the next day I had my hyst to remove my uterus and cervix. I was able to keep my ovaries, tubes, and all lymph nodes. I do not need chemo or radiation. The doctor removed one more lesion (smaller than the first one) during the second cone, but the tissue removed during the hysterectomy showed "no residual tumor" /happy dance/.

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
    beergoogle
    (female)

beergoogle HB User

Pickle Eyes thanks for your reply. Your success story gives me extra hope.

I should get the results next week. I called the clinic yesterday and inquired about the next stage of treatment (assuming it turns out to be precancer or cancer), but the colposcopy nurse I spoke with said that it would probably warrant only so called 'minor' treatment i.e. LEEP and maybe radical tracheletomy. She's seen hundreds of colposcopy exams, plus she herself had severe dyskariosis and CIN3 and LEEP cured her (she's 7 years free of abnormalities), so I feel pretty confident in her judgement. I'm sure there's a margin of error though, so I'm prepared for it just in case.

I had the normal biopsies and I think the ECC. I don't recall hearing anything about endocervical cutterage but there were so many terms flying around and carcinoma in situ is more or less the only one that stuck in my mind. I was told to look away form the screen during one part of the exam which I assume must have been the ECC part.

Happy new year!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I'm glad my story gives you hope. I am always concerned about sharing it, fearing that I might freak a woman out. Let us know when you get your results. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
    Patty27palmtree
    (female)

Patty27palmtree HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
    Hi again, Beergoogle!

From what you've written it sounds like precancerous cells. The Carcinoma In Situ is still considered precancerous (by most people), it is the highest level of precancer, though. Are you still waiting for results, or has your doctor told you what your next step is?

I was diagnosed with adenocracinoma in situ after my colpo with ECC (thank God for the ECC or we *still* wouldn't know I had cancer). I then had a cold knife cone biopsy which diagnosed adenocarcinoma Ia1. My lesion (they only found one during the CKC) was 1.2mm across and 1mm deep (a dime is 1mm thick). From that I went to a gyn/oncologist (which I HIGHLY suggest you see since you have severe dyskariosis ). She explained my treatment and surgical options. I had to have one more cone biopsy, then the next day I had my hyst to remove my uterus and cervix. I was able to keep my ovaries, tubes, and all lymph nodes. I do not need chemo or radiation. The doctor removed one more lesion (smaller than the first one) during the second cone, but the tissue removed during the hysterectomy showed "no residual tumor" /happy dance/.

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit.
    what is an ECC?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
    luvbug412
    Veteran
    (female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patty27palmtree View Post
    what is an ECC?
    EndoCervical Curettage

A curette (imagine a small shovel) is used to scrape cells from the endocervical canal.

Usually done during a colposcopy it is used as a diagnostic test for cells that cannot be seen (ectocervical area) or sampled during a normal pap smear.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
    simplynat
    (female)

simplynat HB User

There is always such good advice and information here but I wanted to add that while the symtoms you have been experiencing are frightening and can sometimes be related to cervical cancer there also many other possibilities that can cause the same symptoms. I have been dealing with recurring/persistant CIS as well for the past three years and on occasion have experienced post coital bleeding as well as pain during intercourse. It isn't uncommon for women who have an active HPV infection and/or cervical dysplasia to also have a condition called cervicitis and/or vaginitis which can be responsible for some of the same symptoms. By no means am I trying to minimize what your symptoms are and it is so important that you are currently under the care of a qualified medical professional however I just wanted provide another possibility that might ease your mind. Best wishes to you!

Closed Thread