It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

ASCUS, history of ovarian cysts, etc

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
fedup2009
(female)

fedup2009 HB User
ASCUS, history of ovarian cysts, etc

For the first time in my life I have a pap that came back ASCUS. They said they may consider retesting in 3 to 6 months. My concern however, is that I have had ovarian cysts removed two years ago, my pelvic exam was extremely painful, I have abdominal swelling, some variations in bowel habits, fatigue (but that could be due to fibro..who knows). I'm very frustrated..and quite frankly..fed up. I'm too tired to keep fighting for answers..they never mentioned CIN or did bloodwork. They loaded me up with antibiotics.."just in case"...i don't have an STD or anything like that. In fact the doctor said he saw no signs of discharge or anything unusual before he put me on the medication..
I don't need guessing games..i need help. By the way, the antibiotics didn't change my discomfort or swelling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: ASCUS, history of ovarian cysts, etc

Hi Fedup, I can't fathom why they would put you on antibiotics just based on your syptoms. The antibiotics certainly would help (as far as I know) with the ASCUS results (unless the doctor thinks it is some sort of infection).

ASCUS just means the cells are abnormal to not be normal, but not abnormal enough to be dysplasia. At least that's my explanation of my understanding of it. This is good.

If you are satisfied with your doctors treatment of your symptoms, then I strongly suggest you seek a second opinion.

I hope that helps a bit.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
fedup2009
(female)

fedup2009 HB User

The antibiotics didn't make any difference. I guess he just assumed it could be an infection, but said he saw no signs of infection.
I still have the pain and discomfort, the bloating, the fatigue.
I want another opinion but I don't know where to find one. I'm so frustrated with doctors . I've had a couple of good ones, but they are too far away now.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fedup, if you have insurance, go to the company's website and see what doctors are on your plan . . . or call the customer care number and have them look it up. Find another doctor's name, call to see if he/she accepts your insurance, then make an appointment. Have a copy of your previous files sent to the new doctor.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
fedup2009
(female)

fedup2009 HB User

No, I lost my teaching job last May. Even when I was working though I had insurance that didn't seem to cover anything. I'm one of those millions of Americans who are caught in the middle...thanks for your responses. I guess I just wanted to know if I shouldn't worry about it anymore. I guess I don't have any options.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
fedup2009
(female)

fedup2009 HB User

They called again and said they would just wait six months. I've decided I'm not going to another doctor. I don't think it would matter at this point. I'm learning patience at least.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

You have to do what you think is best with the information you have. Keep us up on how you are doing, ok?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
fedup2009
(female)

fedup2009 HB User

I saw another Dr. today and ended up in his office talking, going over family history, and getting checked out for 3 hours. He determined that further testing is necessary to begin ruling out areas for cancer. I will be having an upper and lower GI first. Depending on that, I will go for a transvaginal ultrasound, and so forth until we figure out the issues.
Based on his exam and the location of the pain he determined it could be the ovaries, the uterus, the bladder or the colon. There's a long expensive road ahead of me (espec. with no insurance), but perhaps it will be enlightening and help.
Thanks for advice.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad you were able to share all of your concerns with your doctor and that he/she is following up! Let us know how things go!

Closed Thread